Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's not emotional eating for me...

Everyone seems to think that just because you are overweight that you are an emotional eater. That is not the case for me, I don't eat to feel some type of way... I eat because I LOVE FOOD! So, by me saying that am I just in denial or what lol? I have been overweight my entire life, I was never small, not even when I was 5. I guess I just get so pissy when people say well what are you dealing with that causes you to eat? NOTHING is the answer, I just want to eat because I love food! Ahhh ....

I agree with you. I dont have issues, I dont have voids that I eat to fill. I just like eating and I do it if I'm bored. I definitely do it to cope with stress. I guess that qualifies as "emotional eating" to some, but I agree that I dont have some huge personality defect or gap in my life or terrible feelings that I'm trying to quiet with food.

I mean, if you've got nothing better to do, you're not busy and you can manage a nice half hour on the computer with a cuppa, why NOT have a few Cookies as well?

The way I see it, its just not that freaking complicated for me. I dont need a therapist!

I dont even believe this is a problem only the overweight have. I know PLENTY of thin people who eat when they're not hungry for all kinds of reasons too. To Celebrate, to fill in some time, because its lunchtime now and they wont be able to eat if they dont eat now and suddenly get hungry at 3pm.

I dont need to be regressed to a past life to find out I lived through the Irish Potato Famine and have been emotionally scarred through several lifetimes since. I dont like Cookies just a bit too much coz my cat got run over when I was four either.

No disresepct meant to those who DO have real issues they're working on. It's just some of us just plain dont. We just like food.< /p>

At 54, never "feeling it" when others said "I stuff my emotions with food" etc (my problem is NOT keeping my emotions in...more the opposite if anything!) and so on I finally went through a year of behavioral therapy. I found out I AM a reward eater (I made an A on that test I deserve not to cook supper I'll stop by Sonic...for example)

I guess that's "emotional" in a way, but not the traditional way.

Regardless, however, we've all had SOME type of issue

(loving food too much, rewarding ourselves too much, "stuffing our emotions", whatever) to bring us to the point of the band. I agree though; I think it's tacky to lump everyone into one big stew!

I'm with you acasner and Jachut but some would argue that if you eat b/c you just love food or are bored then that is a type of emotional eating. Guess it just depends on how liberal of a definition you have. It does not mean that you need to lay on an couch in an office 5 days a week!

I too am with the food lovers! I'f I'm eating something really good and have some left, I WANT TO FINISH IT! PERIOD! I do believe in the past I may have used food to fill a void, but I'm past all that... Jachut you're right, I hang out with LOTS of skinny people and all they do is talk about how much they love food. The only difference is their body makeup won't allow them to get as fat as me! LOL

I know I'm going to have to be re-wired to make this thing work for me, but I'm ready!

I am not an emotional eater, nor do I eat because I "love food". My thyroid went bizerk 5yrs ago, and it took 6 months before I got a diagnosis, and 40 lbs packed on my tush. I then had a set of twins, and after they were born I gained some more. I have to stick to Weight Watchers to NOT gain weight, not to lose it. It's been frustrating to say the least.