Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm eating like a pig.....

My surgery is May 11th & they've not given me specifics on pre-op diet. I'm eating like it's my last meal over here and not feeling too good. :smile2:

I'm assuming this is normal, but then again, that would be a FIRST for me!!

Should I be more pro-active with getting directions from my surgeon? We are awaiting authorization, which shouldn't be problem from their experience with my insurance. Thanks! Beth

If it will make you feel better, call Monday and ask if there's a preop diet you need to be on. Please realize their lengths vary (from none to 4 weeks and beyond!) depending on surgeon and patient needs, and the actual DIET varies for the same reasons. As my granny would say, don't borrow trouble! :smile2: Call and ask, but I'm sure they will tell you if/when you need one. (Unless you are with a surgeon who has only done a few surgeries?)

There is a lot of variety in what the pre-op diet should be ... just as Monkey says, it could be none to 4 weeks. Average is 2 weeks immediately before surgery. What pre-op diets consist of varies dramatically as well. I can tell you what I did (2 whey Protein Shakes a day and 2 meals consisting of 3 oz of lean Protein and a steamed veggie) but Monkey can tell you what hers was and I guarantee they are different from each other! Call your surgeon's office. Ask them what the pre-op diet is and when you should start. If you feel you need an excuse to call and ask questions, tell them you're just trying to have everything on hand that you'll need. And ask when you are supposed to start. I am a big believer in asking LOTS of questions. I always do best if I know the whys and wherefores, LOL, so I'm always asking "why this", "when" and such.

My surgery is May 11th & they've not given me specifics on pre-op diet. I'm eating like it's my last meal over here and not feeling too good. :smile2:

I'm assuming this is normal, but then again, that would be a FIRST for me!!

Should I be more pro-active with getting directions from my surgeon? We are awaiting authorization, which shouldn't be problem from their experience with my insurance. Thanks! Beth

You are just suffering from "last meal syndrome" as I have heard it called. Most people go through it....I know I did. You might want to check with your docotr about a pre op diet. Mine was only liquids for 3 days prior.... and believe me... I ate right up to those 3 days!!! Don't beat yourself up. You are perfectly normal :w00t:

I (unfortunately) fell into the Last Meal Syndrome bit and probably put on an extra 10 pounds before surgery...stupid, stupid, stupid. I felt blah! This is not the end of eating forever...but just the beginning.

Check with your doctor about the pre-op diet. I only had the liquid diet to shrink the liver for a little bit. check with yours

So Monkey... was your liver too thick (causing your postponement) because of anything you did, or did not do, prior to surgery? I understood that the pre-op diet is to enable your liver to be as small as possible. Beth

If you don't watch it you will have 'the last meal syndrome' until the day of your banding... You will still have to rely on your will power once you are banded for at least the first few months until some sort of restriction kicks in...

I didnt have a preopt diet, but I still managed to lose 9 lbs just cutting back.

Dont panic you will still be able to eat your old foods, just supposed to try and eat less. Some say their lapband helps more than others, mine doesnt stop me from eating. Iv even been on 3 cruises.

Im surprised you have your surgery already scheduled before you have approval from your insurance?? Isnt that unusual?

Edited by flowers

I had the last meal syndrom for about a month before my surgery thinking I wouldn't be able to eat those things again. First off that is not true it turnes out I can eat pretty much the same things except the amount is a lot smaller. I however choose to not eat junk as my body is so use to really healthy food items if I eat junk food now my body thinks it poison and I feel aweful. but thats just me. Remember after getting your band you and your body will be in for a shock. I suggest getting mentally prepared and taper off the junk food that way it will be easier to start your new life. Just fyi I go out to eat all the time, but I choose healthy items. It pretty cool because an entree it actually 3 meal for me. I just think that is so cool,,,saves me money. Good luck:thumbup:

Wow everyone- thanks for the encouragement. What's funny is that I'm actually a pretty healthy eater as far as food choices....but I have an amazing gift for QUANTITY EATING. I had weaned off most junk, but kicked back in once surgery was set. Anyway, I appreciate the responses- thanks to all of you post-ops that check this pre-op board to help us out!!!! :smile2:

As far as scheduling prior to authorization...all I know is they have worked with so many patients that carry my insurance, they are confident there won't be issues. Thanks again- Beth

My surgeon had me on a high Protein, low carb diet about a week before the surgery to shrink my liver. I had been eating like this pretty much through the last 2-3 months of my diet anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. I did suffer from the last meal syndrome as well, and it does get better. I wish you luck!