Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Your Doc Recommend Lap-Band After PCOS?

Hi everyone, I was just wondering how many of you had your doctors recommend weight loss surgery after knowing you had PCOS? Did any of you bring up the option to them? What was the census?

I only ask because my primary doctor was a witch!! :w00t: When I brought up the subject she just told me to lose weight! As I tried to explain that I HAD tried to lose weight and that I was on a strict 1200 calorie diet, and worked out with a personal trainer 4 times a week for 2-3 hours a day. She just looked away got a pamphlet for obesity and gave me a number for a nutritionist (which is Not covered by my ins.).

Divis :)

Edited by Divis
typo

Sorry to hear that you have an unsupportive doctor. I have PCOS. I was being treated for it and my thyroid disease through my Endocrinologist. My primary doctor was also aware of my condition. Both my Endocrinologist and my Primary Doctor supported the surgery.

Not only has the surgery been a success dispite having PCOS but I was able to go off the Metformin and I no longer have any symptoms of having PCOS.

Yeah, my doc was fully supportive. He knew how hard I'd been working, and I told him exactly what I'd been eating. He agreed that a nutritionist probably wouldn't help, but gave me a referral anyway.

I initially raised the topic of lapband surgery with my doctor. I don't feel he would have led me in any particular direction. I needed to let him know what I was thinking. I broached the topic nearly a year before I made the choice to go through with the op.

When I did ask about it, he almost seemed excited. Yes, he really did believe that this was something that could help. he gave a bunch of websites to look at. He also knows that I have educated myself as much as possible, and felt confident in discussing trials and studies with me. We'd also had evidence that a dramatically reduced calorie intake (of less than 1000cals per day) led to results for me, but it was unsustainable, even with reductil or duromine.

In short, my doctor has been wonderful. I am most disappointed that my surgeon seems more and more like a run of the mill chop shop. The surgery was great, but the support is minimal. I know my doc is qualified to give fills, so I will be following that up with him.

It's sad that even doctors are susceptible to predjudices, and judgement. I think YOU are the only one who knows how hard you've tried. I think that there are a lot of doctors who just don't understand the impact of PCOS.

hi! i was diagnosed with pcos two and a half years ago and ever since i have tried to lose weight but it was sooo hard as u may already know, i did some research, talkedto my doctor and she was very supportive about it, she said it could really help and that a lot of women did it because it is so hard to lose weight with pcos... so i say do it, ur doctor is just rude and off course since she doesnt have it she doesnt care! i got banded 3 days ago, just being on a strict diet right before my surgery i had a hormonal change right away... i am 15 pounds down, and hope to keep loding now that i am banded.

8 years ago when I was 18 my endocrinologist recommended bypass due to my PCOS and how hard it was to lose any weight. My parents said no way so I put the thought out of my mind. But now the technology has come a long way and I'm going to be getting banded.

I find it really interesting that for me too, the only way to lose weight is on extremely low calorie and high exercise plans, which I can't keep up for more than a couple of months. I know that the band will help me with this as long as I keep being as active as I am.

i too have PCOS and have tried every diet, exercise and after 9 years of infertility treatments and no period for over a year now, I am awaiting final approval from my insurance company. My doctor was very supportive-he understands all I have been through and tried it all with little to no results. My reproductive endocrinologist actually was the one that wasn't understanding at all and just wanted me to continue with treatment and spending $$ with his care-which my insurance doesn't cover. Now going to be 40 in 3 months and one wonderful child, I have decided to do this for ME. I just am trying to figure out if I am too old to have another baby if it happens after the weight loss......

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19. I'm 30 now, and quite over weight. I've been on so many diets. With severe calorie restiction and excersize I can lose weight, but I can keep that up for long. Amazingly I was able to have two children, they're amazing and I want to be there for them for a long time, so I know I need to lose this weight. I'm hoping to be banded early this summer.

This thread has been incredibly encouraging to me, as I too have PCOS. I have been struggling with it since I turned 16 and have had an awful go at it. I was afraid that PCOS would make my journey with this just as hard, if not impossible as all the other diets. I'm glad to know it has worked for several!

I too have PCOS and thyroid condition, scheduled for surgery on May 3rd. Both doctors agree that this surgery will change my life, but I'm still concerned. It's nice to know that I'm not alone.

I am now banded (as of 2 weeks ago) and in the process of both pre and post op dieting, I have lost 25 lbs. This is close to the most I've ever lost in my life, period, and it's been by far easier than any of the other times I've tried. Maybe cause I knew the band was coming so it helped me make it through. Anyway, since being banded, I've been eating 1000 calories a day and making a point to exercise 30mins-1hour a day and the weight is coming off very fast. I would never be able to sustain this kind of diet without the band but with it, at the moment, it's easy.

I hope that everyone here finds the same kind of success that I feel right now. And for myself I hope it continues.

I am scheduled for May 4th and also suffer from PCOS, endometriosis, thyroid issues and am hoping his will be the best thing I have done. I decided that at 40 this June I am starting the next half of my life...waited and did everythng in my power to have a second child over the last 9 years and nothing...alot of drugs, procedures and no eggs. I am over the heartbreak and have never stopped enjoying my beautiful son, but does the longing go away? Thinking at 40+ I am too old for another baby. So great to know that I am not alone in this journey!