Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Week Post-Surgery and I am STARVING!

I got banded on April 16, last Thursday....but I am freaking starving!!! I have also lost a ton of weight! Is this normal? Am I a freak???:thumbup:

weight.png

langx3,

I just got banded on april 21, My doctor said he wants me to focus on healing for this month. He said its not about loosing weight untill my first fill. He also mentioned week one the pouch is new everything you put in must be done by sips or if you can sip it with a straw this is okay. He said week 2 I can have munchy stage. Week3 I will be getting more hungey bc the swelling has gone down.. He said at his time I can start Protein Bars to keep me more full longer. week 4 can introduce foods one at a time. But my caloric intake should not go above 1200 cals per day. Then I go and get my fill. I hope this helps you

Hey there,

I had my surgery back in November and those first 2 weeks about killed me. I know alot of the people on here have said that they are not hungry after surg. but I was not one of those people. Hang in there it will pass once you are to the mushy stage. I live in Virginia too. Where and who did your surgery? I had mine at the wlsc of hampton roads with Dr. Clark. I have lost 69 lbs. since November 19, 2008. Good luck on your journey and know you are not alone. Take care:thumbup:

I got banded on April 16, last Thursday....but I am freaking starving!!! I have also lost a ton of weight! Is this normal? Am I a freak???:thumbup:

weight.png

No, you are not a freak. this stage is referred to as "Bandster Hell". Your docs and/or nutritionists will tell you it is "head hunger", but thats bullshit! It was real hunger for me. I had to be on liquids for two weeks and then mushies, and then some Protein. I lost about 12-16 lbs the first couple of weeks. Your band is not filled yet, so as the swelling goes down snd you heal, your hunger is back and its all about willpower until you get a fill and sometimes that doesnt kick in until the 3rd fill. So, dont get discouraged. I got banded in October and have lost about 56 lbs so far. I pretty much eat anything, but can only get small amounts in. The feelng of fuiulness from overeating isnt the same feeling of fullness from the band. You literally wont be able to overeat, even if you wanted to. But only if you have the right "restriction" when your band is filled. Its a totally different feeling of fullness compared to the "sick to your stomach" full that we are used to. Good luck. Dont be scared. You'll be okay:thumbup:

I too was banded last Thursday and I'm starving too! I've lost a bunch of weight as well. You are not a freak. Make sure you're getting 60-100 grams of Protein and sugar free popsicles work well in helping to curb the hunger. Also make sure you're getting your 60 oz of Water in too.

I was just banded on April 20th and I am also starving. My stomach is growling and anytime I look at food it makes it worse. Nobody mentiond to me how hungry I would be during this healing stage. I can not wait to get back to Slimfast.

I got my band a week ago I feel the need to eat often, but I do think it is head hunger. Usually one tablespoon of plain yogurt or cottage cheese does the trick. (I am on pureed foods but cottage cheese seems to be ok.) I think distractions at this stage in the game are key.

I had my surgery last Friday (the 17th) and don't feel hungry unless I know I haven't had anything for a couple of hours. I am still on liquids until tomorrow. I can drink about a cup and a half worth of broth and I also drink Protein Shakes and herbalife shakes- only about 16 oz though and I'm stuffed.

If you're hungry, eat. Don't starve yourself. Drink Water or make yourself a smoothie.< /p>

I was banded on the 16th too! About a 2 or 3 days ago my hunger came back too and it is really hard. I'm usually ok in the morning and evening but getting thru the day is really hard. I haven't strayed from the "allowed" list but at times I have had extra serving of Ensure here or there. Doc says 1/4 up of Ensure 4x day - 12g Protein total. And then I see people here drinking 50+. I'm drinking 250 calories a day..I don't understand how anyone can say hunger is in the head when you are drinking 250 calories a day. Can you tell I'm grumpy and not loving my band yet? lol. I have lost 12 lbs already though. I think that is great for now but I honestly don't want it to be that way every week.

I have my post op Monday and get to start some soft foods then. Hang in there.

My doctor told me if I got hungry before my 1 week post op appt I could eat (soft foods and chew a lot) . I got banded April 14th and I'm down 10 pounds and eating. I don't eat anything like I used to. I had shrimp a couple of nights ago and I was full with two shrimp - that's it 2 shrimp. I just had a chicken and cheese quesidilla with fried onion and salsa. I can't eat the whole thing I am definately full and I think the onions may have been alittle too much (or it could be the liquid Vitamin I took too - not sure) But my doctor said the band is not a torture device - it is a means to help you lose weight and it definately has helped. I have had yogurt, scrambled eggs - they take a long time to eat and you have to chew a lot but I would be nuts if I had to have only liquids. That would be torture.

I got banded on friday morning and was starving after the op had sleepless night in hospital thinking of food iv lost nothing and keep getting hiccups what's that all about? its very painful with stiches

I was banded April 30th, and I've lost a total of 12lbs. I was realy expecting to lose more..but that's still good. I've managed to keep those 12lbs off..as long as Im not gaining, i'm okay. I will tell you that I ate..(REAL FOOD) the 3rd wk after surgery...and I've been eating since. I cannot eat nearly what I used to, but still..i'm eating. I go for my first fill next week, and I hope to GOD it takes my hunger away..if not, what did I go through all this for??