Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

psychological counseling

Is there anyone out there who would care to advise me if they used psychological counseling before/after being banded to get used to the idea? It was so traumatizing for me that i have not been successful with my band. i had the most Fluid removed possible and and not doing the plan now, but am considering getting a small fill to try and get started again. i simply have to lose this weight! And i'm really terrified about doing this. Also what type of counselor did you use? I went to a psychologist once before but she had never heard of the band and was just no help. I was banded about 4 years ago and just have done practically nothing since. The hardest thing for me is to eat slowly, much slower than ever, to keep from throwing up. Hope someone out there can identify and also help!

Thanks a million!

i am new to this forum so feel free to email me at pepfm@yahoo.com

Edited by southernbelle1
wish to add my email address

Hi Southernbelle, :blink:

This is a great post! Thank you for posting this as I think this is an important subject.

I have been banded for 2 years and have gone through some really stressful situations and some horrible PB incidents that I won't get into caused by stress.

I have seen my counselor a few times at the clinic because of my emotional overeating, problems with bad habits that got me to this point in the first place.

We all have those "demons". Even my best friend who weighs probably 100 lbs. soaking wet has problems with certain foods.

Do you have a good support system at your clinic? If so, please call them and schedule an appt. They should be able to refer you to a good psychologist if they don't have one.

It's not easy sometimes, but we are all here to help each other.

Maybe you were not ready to be banded. It sounds to me as if you don't really want to lose the weight. As someone who always turned to food for comfort I can tell you that if you use the band by having it filled you will lose weight. I had to speak with someone to deal with the depression of not being able to comfort myself with food. I am now taking cymbalta and it has worked out great for me.

Hi, SouthernBelle;

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your Band and Weight Loss.

You do bring up an important issue, one that needs to be addressed by EVERYONE that gets or plans to get the band.

The whole issue of weight control, really, is that it is a MIND GAME - with or without the band. Sure, there are physical manifestations that make the process of losing weight uncomfortable, and that is the reason that most of us fail at dieting. But being able to achieve control over our desires/instincts is absolutely CRUCIAL in winning this game. The band can help up along in this process, BUT, the band can be defeated, so you do have to develop some self-control, and DEAL with most of the issues that drive you to eat in excess.

I would heartily encourage you to seek out a psychotherapist with a PROVEN track record in helping people with eating disorders. Most Therapists will claim that they treat this kind of disorder, and most of them DO treat it...on OCCASION. But YOU need to locate someone whose PRIMARY practice is based around eating disorders, someone who is dealing with it on a daily basis.

Personally, I think that ongoing therapy should be a REQUIRED component of the Lap-Band process, not just a 45-minute "evaluation" for the purpose of getting insurance approval. For some people (the great minority, I think...) the Lap Band by itself is enough. But for everyone else, Regular therapy sessions should be a part of the package. Aside from cases of true metabolic dysfunction and other fairly rare physical abnormalities, obesity is a byproduct of OVEREATING - eating too much of the wrong things, too frequently. You need to learn to control THAT element of your obesity - the part where YOU make a decision to indulge in a destructive action.

The Lap Band can be an important part of helping you gain control, but the component that lies between your ears is equally, perhaps more, important.

Do yourself a HUGE favor, and find a Therapist that Specializes in eating disorders (and as I said, make SURE that it is their PRIMARY PRACTICE FOCUS, and they have a LOT of experience), and make an appointment. DEAL with the underlying issues of your obesity, whether it be depression, anxiety, or whatever it might be in your special case. Once you have done that, you will be able to see your way clear to have your band refilled, and continue in this process to a greater state of health and a much happier life.

best of luck to you....keep us posted, we're all here for you! :rolleyes:

"The Journey is the reward".

HH

Hi Southernbelle,

I attend weekly sessions with a therapist who specializes in bariatric before and after care. She is a bariatric patient herself (8 years post op and at goal). I found her by doing a search of obesityhelp.com. She is a talented therapist and has helped me uncover some important core issues that were contributing to gaining, and keeping the excess weight, things like; self care, self worth, safety. All, for me, go back to a childhood that involved alot of neglect and abuse. I didn't realize how much of that stuff I was still carrying around. Anyway. . .you asked if anyone uses a therapist. My answer is this. For me a therapist is ESSENTIAL. I wish you progress on your journey.

Hi Southernbelle,

I attend weekly sessions with a therapist who specializes in bariatric before and after care. She is a bariatric patient herself (8 years post op and at goal). I found her by doing a search of obesityhelp.com. She is a talented therapist and has helped me uncover some important core issues that were contributing to gaining, and keeping the excess weight, things like; self care, self worth, safety. All, for me, go back to a childhood that involved alot of neglect and abuse. I didn't realize how much of that stuff I was still carrying around. Anyway. . .you asked if anyone uses a therapist. My answer is this. For me a therapist is ESSENTIAL. I wish you progress on your journey.

What SHE said. :smile:

Hi Southernbelle,

What SHE said. :smile:

Ditto! Therapy has saved my life and preserved my sanity during this transition as well as before being banded. The coping mechanisms Ive learned in therapy have made me more resilient when I fail and more grateful when I succeed.

I wish you the best in your Quest for clarity on this banded journey.