Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried that my band isn't working?

Hi, I could use some advice.

I was banded on Feb. 27th. I lost 26 pounds prior to getting banded, and ZERO pounds since getting banded.

I had my first fill last week. I am scheduled for my 2nd fill next week (2-week increments). (I have a 10cc band. 2 ccs were put in during surgery. Last week they gave me 2.5 ccs.)

I have not lost any weight. I don't feel any restriction. I have had a problem 3 times now where I didn't chew properly and the food kind of got "bottled up" and I had to burp a lot until it got moving again.

I have been making moderately-healthy food choices....fish, steamed veggies, low calorie foods and drinks. I cut out diet pepsi entirely, which was a HUGE feat for me. I don't seem to have ANY problems with food choices; what I mean is, I have no problems getting some foods down that others seem to, like carby items.

I have not gotten into my full exercise routine yet (prior to surgery I worked out 5-6 days a week) but I'm starting to bicycle a little after work and will start getting back to the gym this week.

I wish I was losing weight, but I'm not wholly surprised that I'm not, since prior to surgery I ate well, exercised regularly, and only GAINED weight.

I'm starting to get worried that maybe my band slipped? When should I start seeing weight loss? What should I do differently? I know I need to start exercising more, but that'll happen gradually, starting this week.

Does anyone have any advice? What's going on with me? Why isn't this working?

:(

Sounds like you are in what they call bandster hell...

I'm only 2 weeks out from being banded... and saw my Dr today for a check up. He told me it is not uncommon for people not to lose weight before their first fill.

And after the numerous threads I've read here it also sounds like finding the "sweet spot" with the fill can sometimes take a couple fills to get there.

Are you getting 60grams of Protein a day? Its important to get all the Protein in to continue weightloss.

Im sure more experienced banders will chime in... Hang in there!!

First, since you have had the feeling of food getting "backed up" you know that you have restriction. In addition, sometimes it take days before you actually feel the restriction that an adjustment gives you. Since you have had a fill, you should be through that bandster's hell period. What I suggest is I'm sure what you already know but just haven't done it yet. This is simply the point where you realize that the rest is up to you. So here's what you need to do.

1. Keep a journal of what you eat (several online journals are available)

2. Keep your calories between 900-1200 and no less.

3. Exercise daily (30-60 minutes) with some days cardio and some days weight lifting mixed with cardio

4. Drink lots of Water

5. Get your Protein

6. yada yada yada .... you know the drill

The important thing is making losing weight a priority and just getting busy doing it. You know what you have to do, you just have to determine to do it.

The band is a tool. But just like any other tool, you have to learn to use it. Maybe you've seen others use it but the tool is in your hands now. It will take time to learn to use it well and to learn to use it in a way that is comfortable and efficient for you. Be patient with yourself through this process.

i too was banded on the 27th. i have lost 23 lbs so far but i have been very diligent with the Protein Shakes. i use those to replace meals. try more Protein shakes. i too dont feel much of a restriction when i do eat that one meal. i dont know what that part means.

I am right there with you.I was banded on Feb 26th.. I weighed 207, now i am at 183..I got my first fill march 18th. I to did not feel any restriction..I was still able to eat what i wanted, but I know like everyone says it takes a couple of fills to get to that spot..So next week I go in and get another..My last fill I only got 2cc's, so hopefully this time i will get 2cc's more...I also do the Protein drinks and watch what I eat..I know it takes time, but it seems I am at a stand still at this point,either way I know in the long run we will get to our goal and look back on all this...Good Luck and keep in touch...keep me posted about your progress...

Thanks

Sommer

Edited by Sommerbrez

I started a journal and what was apparent was my Protein intake was way too low , only 20 - 30 grams per day , I have since upped that by taking Protein shakes and its now up at 70 - 80 grams a day , I have noticed this last week I have lost a few pounds so it has seemed to start weight loss I think. I too lost virtually nothing since surgery .. this surprised me as lost quite a lot prior ...

Im looking orward to going back to the Gym when doc says ok , meeting on 23rd so hope he gives me the thumbs up ..

3 meals/day

1/4 to 1/2 cup each

60-90 gms protein/day (depending on amt of exercise)

64ozs water/day

no snacking unless for Protein count

This is my 1st yr regime....and hence my success!

I've also got my first fill last week - 4.4 cc. I felt somewhat restriction on the two days liquid diet following the fill. However, after I started on regular food. I felt no restriction at all. I could keep everything down and I don't have sip Water at all. I feel like I could eat more than before the fill. I could eat 6 OZ of meat and 3 Oz of vege at dinner and feel hungry again in 3 hours. I lost a few pounds on the two days liquid diet. After at, the scale stands on a standstill point. My doctor also allows up to do a fill every two weeks. So I am going to to get another fill next Friday. Hopefully this time I would feel the right restriction.