Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the point?

I guess I never asked myself any of the questions you're asking, Kimo, because I was already at the point of desperation when I started researching the band. I only heard about it because I stumbled upon some interesting article about Sharon Osbourne, and here all this time I thought she had had gastric bypass. So, I started researching the band and this ray of light just turned on for me. There was NOTHING that was going to step in my way of getting myself one of those things! LOL!

But . . . after 10+ years of being overweight, dieting, losing weight only to gain it back, getting pregnant and gaining more, losing it again and getting pregnant again and gaining even more and on and on and on, I couldn't take it anymore and I KNEW I couldn't do it by myself anymore. I needed the band. It was just working for waaaaaay too many people here despite a few outspoken naysayers. I just KNEW in my heart that this was the answer to my prayers.

And guess what? It was and is the answer to my prayers. It is SO easy for me. I've been banded for 10 months and I'm almost at goal. My surgeon's thrilled with my results. *I* am thrilled my results. My husband is thrilled. My friends are thrilled. I'm like a whole new person.

Sure, I eat some things I'm technically not "supposed" to -- but I can only eat a little tiny bit of it and I am done. I sometimes read stories about people who have been banded for a year and didn't lose any weight and I personally don't understand it . . . so . . . not to offend anyone, because while it has been super super easy for me, I also know that I've gotten my fills, followed up with my surgeon, I follow the band rules, I don't drink carbonation, I get plenty of Protein, I exercise like crazy, and I stay away from junk. Given that, it was EASY.

Now . . . had I tried all of that before? Yes. Would I lose weight? In the beginning. Did I gain the weight back? Yes and then some. Could I stick with it? Not for very long, if at all.

What's the point of the band? My band gives me willpower and strength when I have none.

Someone once posted a story here about how the band is a tool. You may say the band is "just" a tool, but it's so much more than that. If you go to dig a hole, you can do it with your hands. But isn't it easier to dig a hole with a shovel? My band is my shovel. Sure, I could do it on my own, but it's soooooo much easier to have the band.

Fantastic post SanDiegoPhotog!!!

Very well spoken!

I am in Pueblo, CO. Who did your surgery? I have a consultation on 4-27 with James Smith here in Pueblo. Looking for common friends

Alot of wonderful advice and great success stories here to help you. We've all been where you are at right now. You have to decide if you're ready to make the changes with yes...another different kind of tool for weight loss. No matter how we decided to lose the weight, we always use a tool of some kind....but bottom line, if you're not ready to make these changes, then you will fail! I'm almost 1yr post-op and yes you can lose at first while eating junk/fast food. But eventually, with the band, it will catch up and cause weight gain.

You're doing great research and have the right questions...now...are you ready to ACCEPT the changes and challenges? Are your current weight and feelings worth it?

Here's my honesty. I was DETERMINED to make it work when I decided to have the band placed. Yes I was concerned of failing and gaining it back (still am), but, I NEVER once complained about what all it will take to make it happen. And doubting yourself does not help.

I'm not "bashing" you personally. I just hear from others "whine, whine, whine because of not weight loss here..." so I don't want you to get into that frame of mind at the start. Find the peace you need before if you do get the band. You need that peace to go to when things get tough/challenging! I wish you best and like I told my neighbor the other day, MAKE this happen...don't waste time pondering or you'll never get there!

Thank you Brenda, my name is Brenda too! I appreciate the honesty and advice. I also am determined. I need the tool. I have a long history of bulimia and so the throwig up part does not scare me, in fact, I am more afraid of that becoming a means. I am praying and focusing and planning to have my attitude and determination in check before I even go to the consultation 4/27. Thanks again

Losing weight is hard...Period. If it was easy everyone would be thin.

Brilliant! You answered all these questions and concerns in one statment. Love it.

Could you eat fast foods as your primary diet and lose weight with the band?

Maybe. It depends on your choices.

Will you exercise to counter some of those choices?

Many fast foods are sliders, like milk shakes, that will go right through a band, so you can drink them without ever feeling full. You can consume thousands of calories in milkshakes--the band will not do anything to help with those.

Other fast foods are notorious for getting stuck. Many bandsters can't eat french fries. I have trouble with hamburger and the chicken used in chicken sandwiches.

If the speed of the fast food places is the issue, then there are healthier choices than burgers, fries, and milkshakes.

So, I guess it depends on your definition of "fast food."

For me, I am a junk food junky. I have to work daily on making healthy selections, I don't always succeed. But, the band has helped me to take care of the physical hunger--that helps me battle the head hunger for the junk.

For me, the point of the band was simple: it removed the physical hunger that impeded long-term loss and maintenance of that loss.

My body needs ridiculously few calories--and while it was possible for me to stick to an 800-1000 calorie diet before banding, it was tremendously difficult to maintain that level long term.

It's the level I require in order to lose. The upper end of the range is what I require to maintain. That's with a fair amount of daily exercise.

Hunger was a real impediment to my success. I spent years fighting a battle that just wasn't winnable.

The band has taken that out of the equation. Now that I've got pretty good restriction, I can stick within the calorie range I need fairly effortlessly.

Easy way out? You bet. I am grateful EVERY day for the opportunity to get and use this tool.