Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat Ladies Singing?

I've noticed that there are a lot of talented singers among the banded. (I have a five-note range in baritone, so I'm not included in the mix.)

What kind of music do you singers sing? For the already banded, have the "...'til the fat lady sings" comments stopped yet? For the pending bands, can you hardly wait?

Sue

Sue!!! Wow, love this thread!

I am an operatically trained singer. Got my performance degree from U of Montana. My sister, who had the RNY several years ago, also studied music but caved in to parental pressure and got her degree in education instead of performance.

I am considered a heavy lyric soprano (no pun intended - lol), but emotionally lean toward the dramatic repertoire. I never "made it" as a singer as far as supporting myself totally through singing, but it continues to supplement my income.

As far as banding affecting my singing, or weight in general - I really have only noticed a difference with my breathing/breath support. At my heaviest, prior to banding, it was difficult to maintain long phrases. Post-banding, I could not breathe as deeply, as my port sutures did not allow for that muscle expansion. I wasn't sure if I was just blaming the port, or if my problems were really due to increasing age and lack of practice, but after I tore my port loose (I do NOT recommend this!! lol), I find I'm back to my regular breath capacity. So... it really was the port sutures getting in my way.

I'm still huge, so haven't had any comments yet about no longer being able to declare things as being over by singing, so I'll keep you posted on that part. lol

As an aside on my port issue, Dr. Lopez will reattach my port November 1st (to the tune of $1700!!! OUCH!!). I will explain to him prior about there not being enough "give" before, and perhaps he can make the sutures a little loose - enough to keep the port in place and right side up, but loose enough to allow full muscle expansion (and full stretching capabilities!) so that I won't accidently tear it loose again.

Hi! I'm also an opera singer! I just graduated from Juilliard, and am going to Manhattan School of Music in the fall to continue my education. I'm recently banded and having trouble singing right now but I'm only 2 and a half weeks out. I think I'll give myself a few more weeks, but I really am frustrated right now, not being able to practice. I am SOOO glad I go this during the summer, or else I would have had to take a semester off from school. I hope I don't have any problems getting back into the swing of things! Any tips ?

I am a commercial singer. Been in a few jingles, and was a studio singer on a few albums about 10 years ago. I have noticed a HUGE difference in my breathing and phrases. I have also noticed that some higher notes are wavy, as I still do not have the strength to carry them. I am only 2 weeks out, but it was a shock to me about a week out when we were driving up to NC and I just couldn't single. My DH loves when I sing for him, and he said I sounded like I was killing a dog. LOL that gratitude.

I am exactly a week out from surgery. i have noticed that when I take a very deep breath that it seems that i can feel the band between my lungs. Im assuming that this is the same sensation as you both are having. Don't really care for that.

I am a mezzo soprano but can also sing alto. In high school and college, I was part of a 16 member choir, which sang mostly classical and jazz. I never pursued a singing career but always look for a local choir wherever I live. I have yet to find one that isn't religion-based. So, for now, I just sing in the occasional wedding and go to karaoke.

Leona06 - that's impressive! When I was in high school, I dreamed about going to Julliard but never acted on that dream.

As far as the "fat lady singing" comments, I've never heard them directed at me. However, my DH jokes around when people ask "When will this be over?" by replying with "When Tricia sings." I don't take offense to it because he's not mean-spirited and knows that I'm not self-conscious about my weight. But, you should see some of the looks we get from the other people!! :laugh

I love to sing for fun. This mortifies my 11-year-old daughter.

I have never liked the phrase "It ain't over til the fat lady sings." It's as offensive as saying "It ain't over til the maestro f*arts!"

I have a degree in music & have sung in lots of choirs, quartets, & singing groups in my life. I am an alto. However, because I am a better piano player then I am a singer, I am more often the accompanist for the singing group. I've been involved in music since I was 3 yrs. old. I've been teaching piano lessons since I was 15 yrs. old. I love it!! I have sisters who sing beautifully & one of them won the Miss Benson pageant & competed in the Miss AZ pageant. I was her official accompanist & traveled around with her.

I still sing every day to my kids. (Does that count?!?!) I noticed that it is definately harder to breathe with the band. It does something to the diaphram. I can't quite figure out what it is.

I am still embarrassed to say I am an opera singer because I'm a "fat lady". it makes the stereotypical thing true and I hate that! ahhh

I'll never forget when we visited a church in Iowa and one of the members asked me if I sing, "because women like you often do (and he gestured big and full chested!!). I couldn't decide whether I should be insulted or not!

I used to sing just for fun, but 12 years ago following a car accident I was on a respirator for 10 days and it really screwed up my voice...now I don't even sing in church. Oh, well...

Emily

I wish I could sing :) My Father is in a band (Singer) and I try to sing along to the radio and his stuff buy I'm afraid Im not good at all lol, AND My hubby droped in on me and told me Im actually better at singing when noone is around than when someone is and I "Try" to sing....whats that mean?!?lol

Wow this post is freaking me out. Im a singer and Im planning to futher myself there when I lose this weight. If I cant hold my notes out im gonna lose my mind. Please tell me, has it gotten better with time???

After my port repositioning, I don't recall the band interfering with my singing. Bear in mind my singing (while paid) is very low key, and not professionally operatic (I'm a paid church soloist).

I do a solo once a month, and sing with the choir one service a week. For a true professional who's doing shows 5 days a week, I couldn't say how it might affect them.

If you haven't been banded yet, I would highly recommend you consider the sleeve instead. No maintenance, no foreign object near your diaphragm, no chance of erosion...