Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those that have had surgery this week

Hi- will those of you that have had surgery this week please let us know how you are doing and what the experience was like? It is very helpful to hear from those that are already healing.

Banded on the 7th. Sore put pain pump was nice. My doc allowed nothing by mouth til after barium test on Wednesday at 11. Results didn't come in til 1pm--so I was not happy. Then tray came--careful you'll want to drink it all. I did cheat on docs orders sipped some water--tiny tiny sips. Got home about 3 yesterday. On Clear Liquids today. I went for a 1/2 mile walk and about to do it again. I have a timer to make sure I drink 1 ounce every 15 minutes. Still on pain meds but gonna go to just tylenol during the day--save the T3 w/codiene for the night.

Linda

Linda the pain pump you emntioned was it an On-Q Pain Buster they said in preop class we'd be getting one of these. Delivers non narcotic pain medication right to surgery site automatic last like 3 days and then throwaway when done (wonder if it's recycable). Has anyone had one of these?

My surgery was on Friday the 3rd. I got to the surgery center at 11:00am thinking my surgery wasn't till one. But they were ahead of schedule! So I walked in signed all my papers, paid my bill and I was off! It was a whirlwind, at one point I had 3 people asking me questions:w00t:. I have to say that the staff at Prestonwood Surgery Center in Plano Texas ROCKS!!!!!! I have never met nicer people, they were wonderful. Anyway, I digress, I was home by 4 that afternoon. Slept alot, walked some, sipped alot. I have to say day 2 was much harder, but only because of the stupid gas! The more I walked the better it got. So walk walk walk! Tomorrow will be a week and I feel almost back to normal. I have my post-op appointment in the morning. One more week of liquids, I cannot wait for mushies. Its not that I am really hungry, its just that food smells amazing!

Don't stress, you will do great!

D:lol:

I had my surgery on Thursday, April 9th. The surgery went well but the doc told my parents it was a little tighter than he is used to because I don't have as much fatty tissue around my stomach as his other patients (I do, however, have an ass the size of texas -LOL). I am feeling some pain, but only around my port. The pain around my port is making it difficult to get in and out of bed or to turn over in my sleep. I keep getting worried I am going to tear somthing and my port will flip! I also am having difficulty releasing the gas from surgery and that is my biggest complaint. Other than that I am just tired.

My night nurse at the hospital was a MORON though and it made it a little bit difficult. First, my bed did not work at the hospital. It would not go up or down so every time I needed to get out of bed I had to ask the nurse to deflate the mattress. Then she kept forgetting many things--- compression booties to prevent clotting when I got back into bed, turning on my oxygen pump, turing on my heart monitor. Eventually I just learned to hook everything up myself as I got back into bed. It's a shame because the morning nurse was great. I guess it is just the luck of the draw.

Well I'm home and it's done and yes I'm questioning my decision at this time. My Dr used as he put it a small band on a big guy he's found more issues using the larger band so I'm tighter I guess than some/many/moat. If I heard him correctly I think I'm on clear liquids for 2 more weeks nothing wiht sugar and no fizz so I guess I'm allowed broth and tea.

We got the the hospital at 5:25am checked in and I got called back about 6am about 6:30 they started preping me. I met a lot of people nurses and the guy wiht the good stuff that makes you not care I was ready for surgery by 7:30am (scheduled time) surgeon rolls in about 8am tells me I can change my mind and not have the surgery, change my surgery to bypass, or change to another surgeon I chose none of the above.

Tehy finally wheeled me to surgery I remmber getting on the bed and asking about the anastisia and was told I got it as I roled through the door....that is the last thing i remembered till there was a lot going on around me and I said I had to pee and was told to go ahead, I had a cath:scared2: they drained me and removed it thank goodness I was asleep when it was put in and still to grogy when it was removed. I guess I asked about incisions and was suprised when they told me I had 9 yes 9.

After fussing wiht my Cpap machine and deciding it really wasn't helping and a few other things I was moved up to my room with a cup of ice thank god for that little cup of ice.

My nurses were good getting up was so much work unplug O2 sensor, compresion things IV's I only got up 4 times during my stay. This morning I went to Xray had the swallow test drank the chalk to quickly it went down but slowly. The surgeon arrived not long after that and released me. Never got my hospitla tray of broth and Jello.

Dropped of my scripts on the way home got home and got soe liquid tylenol, a fudgcicle and a glass of Water. My mouth feels like it has a camel trud in it no matter what I do.

Just a bit sore now only have 8 incisions, when I asked about so many I was told that sometimes they just go in at the wrong sopt. They are covered with bandaids not sure which one is the port a little tender but not to bad I have a ball and chain around my neck with pain reliver that goes directly to my sites.

All in all feel OK but wonder what the heck have I done.

Oh and at the hospital I weighed in at 282 back in October at the consultation I was 328.

Sorry about all the typos my best to everyone.

This is my first post. I had my surgery Tues, 4/7. I am much more sore than I anticipated. I am somewhat swollen around where I am assuming the port is located. I have trouble standing up straight let alone walking but it seems to be getting better. Any suggestions in regards to the soreness and walking?:cool2:

Hi. Got banded on Friday 4/10/09 - when I scheduled I decided that Good Friday was as good a day as any to restart my life.

Did 15 days of Optifast. After 2 days, i never got hungry and had to set alarms to remind me to take them, normally had 5, but sometimes only managed 4.

Scheduled for 9am surgery, went under at 9:24 and woke up at 10:15. Dr said he used a 'standard' band on me. Now, that is the first 'standard' i have had in almost 20 years - LOL. I was ready to leave hospital an hour after waking up, but they made me hang around for 6 hours so they could give me a second shot of anti-biotics, and I was not sore - just a little tender. I got dressed and walked around the floor for a few laps .

I had them give me a painkiller as i had a 2 hour drive home and did not wanna develop pain en-route. I slept most of the night, but got up fairly early. No pain, I was extremely lucky and blessed.

This - being my first day that I can drink clear liquids, I got to the evening and realized I had consumed a whole 50 calories today. I mean, apart from the fact I am not hungry (a miracle in itself) there are not many 'clear liquids' that I can consume that have calories. I took to drinking fruit juice and coffee - to which I added sugar - which I never use.

Then I guess I drank too much trying to get calories in, and ended up with hiccups. Doing a google on that, I ended up back at this site, and learned it was cos I was too full. I guess you dont realize it when all you are absorbing is liquids.

Anyway, all I can say is that I believe it is the right decision for me to get banded. I am tired of being fat and want to stop dieting - so this is just a tool to me to help me change my lifestyle.

Good luck in your decision,, and have a great, blessed easter.

Boykie

This is my first post. I had my surgery Tues, 4/7. I am much more sore than I anticipated. I am somewhat swollen around where I am assuming the port is located. I have trouble standing up straight let alone walking but it seems to be getting better. Any suggestions in regards to the soreness and walking?:cool2:

The port site is definately the most sore for me also. I had surgery on the 8th. I find that holding a small pillow against your stomach works well when you are trying to walk and get up. Don't lay flat...prop yourself up with a few pillows. Everyday the port pain should get better. :lol:

3rd day post op and feeling more 'normal' and less 'surgical' Outpatient procedure on the 9th, slept all the way home. felt good enough to watch TV with family that night, however, nothing funny because it hurt to laugh...

No major pain, just physical discomfort from the bloating from surgery and radiating shoulder pain and would sometimes get short sharp pains on my right side. kinda like when you would run and get a side cramp (not that I ever ran a lot ;-)

no nausea or vomiting at all. (or regurgitating) no appetite until today. in fact, i tried sugar-free Jello and Protein Water day after surg....couldnt do it, tasted too sweet. just stuck with broth and tea....although Jello is going down fine today ;-)

I am suprised though, they gave me antibiotics which is fine, but they are huge capsules which i have to take 4 times a day?!?! i am going to call and see if there are any liquid ones they can switch me out with.

overall i am EXCITED!!!! I cant believe that finally, my body will be controlling what i put in my mouth, instead of my head!!!

Had surgery 4/10 and the gas is killing me. I'm using gas x strips but I'm still hurting. Had a rough day at the hospital and I had to stay two days. Turns out I am allergic to morphine and suffered quite a bit. I'm a lil better now but this gas is a mother.

Hi- will those of you that have had surgery this week please let us know how you are doing and what the experience was like? It is very helpful to hear from those that are already healing.

I had my surgery in MX last Monday the 6th. I went it about 11am, was out in 1/2 hr, left the clinic around 12 noon the next day. Didn't take any pain meds since I left. Got home Sat (FL) and did laundry - that was a mistake. No gas pains, or anything like that. It's weird to have surgery and have no pain - other than stupid pains, but i was feeling so good didn't think laundry would be an issue.

I have a 4cc band and was wondering who else has one and how it's going? I'm down about 22 lbs, the first 15 was the pre-op diet. Clear liquids the first week, and full liquids the next two weeks, then solid foods.

AFter the surgery, went to a local hotel, walked around the hotel quite a bit, nothing crazy. Then left there and spent 3 nites in San Diego, being a self pay and not local I wanted to make sure everything was OK before going back east. Did lots of walking in SD, it was nice and cool,a nd the hotel was right downtown. Flew the whole day pretty much on Sat,a nd Sun sat at mom's for Easter, feeling just fine with my drinkable yogurt..:( instead of ham and yams! LOL

So anyone with experience with 4cc bands, I'd love to hear from you.

pb

Where did you go in Mexico? I am scheduled with Dr. Ortiz on the 24th. He is in Tijuana, MX.

Where did you go in Mexico? I am scheduled with Dr. Ortiz on the 24th. He is in Tijuana, MX.

I went to Ortiz as well....:) Had my surgery on the 6th. One of the things you can do is get the emails of the other people you have surgery with that day and keep in touch as to what everyone else is doing. What state do you live in? I'm in FL, so returning for fills wasn't practical. If you don't live close enough to return start looking for local Dr's to do it, it's not easy to find local's willing to fill "Mexican bands".

Feel free to contact me with any questions...pb

JT & Kimber- are you feeling any better?