Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I gave up diet coke after my surgery. I was banded in august 08. I do not really crave it anymore. I have done suprisingly well with that. Every once in awhile though, I think I would like to have one. Do you think it would be a problem i have one? I dont want to get re-dicted...but i still would enjoy one now and then

I would advise against it. Anything that is behind you would be better off to stay there. This is a journey about changing out of our old bad habits and focusing on the future with the lapband as a tool. They say not to have carbinated drinks anyway, do you really want to see WHY they say not to, and risk feeling awful to find out?

Good luck in whatever you choose. It is hard giving up certain things, but in the end it will be well worth it! Janis

It is not just about getting hooked on it again. The carbonation can cause some serious gas pains and some believe it can stretch the pouch...I agree with hairnv, keep that habit in the past.

I gave it up also and agree it not a good idea to back to. However, let's face it, even the gods gave up nectar in favor of diet coke years ago. It's truly a wonderful drink.

I don't understand how some say they used to drink a lot of diet Pepsi. Not even close to the inherent goodness of DC.

Obviously, I was bit addicted myself...

If you have been able to break to habit of Diet Coke, you are stronger than most of us. I am getting banded in 2 and a half weeks and am down to 1 a day. I won't even tell you how much I used to drink. My family jokes that they should alert the shareholders now that I a not going to be drinking it!! I would ask your dr. and do whatever he tells you.

I have left a restaurant when I have ordered a Diet Coke and they have said.....will a diet pepsi be ok....clearly, I would benefit from some counseling......however....something about the caffeine and nutrasweet combination, along with that "secret formula' has made it one of the most addicting products you can buy over the counter. Beware and good luck.

I am actually in the middle of withdrawal right now.:glare:

Thank you all for your comments...I think yall are right...I better leave that behind me! Now if I could only give up sugar..How are yall doing with that?

Congratulations on getting banded mlat...and good luck! It's one heck of a ride :blink:

Interesting - I have many friends who drink one every now and then and don't have any problems with it...they said maybe a little gas, but nothing too bad. I am only 2 1/2 weeks post op and even though they told me I can have carbonated drinks at 2 weeks I haven't yet - as my gas pains post op (from lotsa dairy in the liquids) were miserable...I wonder if people just tolerate it differently?

When it comes to life post-banding, I am am usually the one to say most things are OK in tiny amounts and it has worked pretty well for me. I love the way the band will allow me to have just tiny amounts and feel satified. EXCEPT for diet coke! I just can't drink it. Every once in a while I really miss it. I have taken a sip from my husbands. But I know if I had more than that I would pb it all up plus every thing else in my stomach.

But if I could have a one, given how addicted I was (a 6 pack a day wouldn't have been a problem for me pre-band) I don't think I would risk it.

OH LORD do I miss mine! I'm 4 weeks off of them yesterday!!!! :blink: I still say that the Pepsi stock had to have fallen now that I'm not supporting the company single handed.

Greythope, a 6 pack a day would only get me started, unless it was the 20 oz. bottles!!!!!!

I'll admit that it is the taste that I miss so much, that crisp feeling in the mouth. I've been thinking. ANY die hard POP drinker knows that it is the feeling in the mouth that a good fresh soda gives is what we miss the most. And if you think about it the actuall drinking/swallowing isn't where the pleasure was, it was the sensation in the mouth. I wonder if I would get as much pleasure if I took a big gulp and just held it in my mouth to get that "bite", then spit it out? I've thought about trying it. I honestly have, but I'm scared that I'd mess up and swallow and then find out first hand about the PAIN. I don't like pain.

Has anyone else thought about doing that? Or am I the only fool here that misses it that much????

It has been 5 months since I've had a Diet dr Pepper and I will not chance it at all. I don;t think I could stop at one and I don't want to go back to drinking them. If I was you I wouldn't do it.

I did try to let the fizz go out before swallowing once when I took a sip of my husbands and it was just gross and didn't do any good. One silver lining is that even if we could handle carbonation, I think drinking diet coke enabled me to get more food down before. When I think of overeating there is inevitably a diet coke invovled. Even now when I take a bit of something I used to enjoy eating a lot of I crave dc to wash it down.

Believe me I know how hard it is. I have been off of them since June 12th of last year and even if I never get to my goal weight I will still be in awe of myself for getting that monkey off my back!

OH LORD do I miss mine! I'm 4 weeks off of them yesterday!!!! :sad: I still say that the Pepsi stock had to have fallen now that I'm not supporting the company single handed.

Greythope, a 6 pack a day would only get me started, unless it was the 20 oz. bottles!!!!!!

I'll admit that it is the taste that I miss so much, that crisp feeling in the mouth. I've been thinking. ANY die hard POP drinker knows that it is the feeling in the mouth that a good fresh soda gives is what we miss the most. And if you think about it the actuall drinking/swallowing isn't where the pleasure was, it was the sensation in the mouth. I wonder if I would get as much pleasure if I took a big gulp and just held it in my mouth to get that "bite", then spit it out? I've thought about trying it. I honestly have, but I'm scared that I'd mess up and swallow and then find out first hand about the PAIN. I don't like pain.

Has anyone else thought about doing that? Or am I the only fool here that misses it that much????

I am so with you all on this. I was addicted to regular coke or mt dew. OMG, I could drink 4+ a day. I think just being rid of those is a good portion of my weightloss. I am definately not going to try and drink one, because one would be all it took and I'd be addicted again. It's like they put crack in it.... LOL. Good luck and stick with it!

I was sooo addicted to Diet Coke!!!! I would have at least 6 bottles a day . I have not had any since my pre-op liquids..do miss it..but so far so good.. I am not saying I have not thought about trying it. I have a few times, when I am real thrsity and want something refreshing and cold.

Wasnt much of a Diet Coke fan but Diet Dr. Pepper or Diet Sierra Mist was the bomb! I really dont miss it too much and I was told NEVER again any carbonated beverages due to expansion and gas....

I had my last diet coke July 2nd, 2008. I was truly addicted. I still crave & want a diet coke on a daily basis. I just know that carbonated sodas are really bad for you. I am so scared that if I try it & it does not cause me significant pain that I will become addicted again so I choose not to try it.