Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd week post-op and starting to feel hungry - HELP!

Hi all - after spending my first post-surgery week absolutely miserable I thought I would never eat again. But then this week, on the mushies, I am STARVING. I'm forcing myself to keep to portions: 1 scrambed egg, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes, 1/2 cup cottage cheese....but I want more of them and more things. I read somewhere that it is normal to feel hungry after banding (mine was 3/31) and he fullness comes slowly. My band is empty but I can't imagine I would need a fill already...my surgeon won't even consider it for four to six weeks. Any help?:thumbdown:

I'm in the same position Banded 3/24, I don't know what do to either I eat till I'm full which is around the same amount that you are eating but I find myself hungry within 3-4 hours sometimes earlier I try drinking really cold Water also if it's okay with your diet from your surgeon add some string cheese (chewed really well) or some parm cheese on mashed potatoes for some extra Protein I'm getting around 40-50 grams a day and around 700-800 calories, I sometimes think this is WAY to much which is worrying me alot but I'm hungry so I eat I know the point of the surgery isn't to starve and I do work all day on my feet so I have a pretty active job considering...I feel like I"m rationalizing. all I can say is stick in there! once we're on real food I don't think it'll slide though the band as easy and we'll be fuller longer but I could be over thinking this!

I had the same problem. I was banded on 3/24. There were 2 or 3 days last week when I ate more than 1/2 cup at a time, but then it passed. 1/2 cup is satisfying me again. I wished that I had just hung in there, but I gave in and ate more than I was supposed to those days. Maybe you'll start feeling satisfied again in a couple of days. Good luck to you! We can do this!

This is all very normal. Do some LBT searches for "Bandster Hell" and all of your questions will be answered.

Brad

I was banded March 10 and was eating about 3/4 c at a meal. I talked with my dietician who felt I was eating too few calories and suggested I add a few healthy Snacks. I really hated to get into the snack mindset (his office is VERY against snacking) so instead I increased my meals to 1 c. (my doc's office suggests 1/2 to 1 cup at a meal) so I'm at the "max." That has made a big difference. Sometimes that can hold me over til meal time, other days (like today) it doesn't, but this is just bandster hell and we have to rely on willopower until we start getting fills. Follow your doctor's instructions, but if you are really hungry talk with them about possibly eating a little more at each meal. The worst they can do is say no!

I was banded March 10 and was eating about 3/4 c at a meal. I talked with my dietician who felt I was eating too few calories and suggested I add a few healthy Snacks. I really hated to get into the snack mindset (his office is VERY against snacking) so instead I increased my meals to 1 c. (my doc's office suggests 1/2 to 1 cup at a meal) so I'm at the "max." That has made a big difference. Sometimes that can hold me over til meal time, other days (like today) it doesn't, but this is just bandster hell and we have to rely on willopower until we start getting fills. Follow your doctor's instructions, but if you are really hungry talk with them about possibly eating a little more at each meal. The worst they can do is say no!

Bambam - that is an amazing weightloss for a March 10th band...you are my hero. Yesterday I tried to keep track of what I ate (iphone had a great tracker called tap track) I had about 800 calories and 60 grams of protien...I figured that was okay. Today, I'm going to try and do more protien and hope it helps. Let me know if the rest of you have any more success in upcoming days. I'd sure like to see my scale in free-fall again!

I was baned on 3/24 and am going through the same thing. Starting to get VERY hungry and I can not get my first fill until May 11. My doctors office says to push the Protein and that I will feel A LOT different after first fill. It's normal to be hungry and to even gain a little weight before getting filled or so they say. I am starting to get frustrated as well!!!:glare: