Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 month check in..should I be disappointed?

Hi Everyone

Went to the doctors yesterday, I have lost 18kg in 20 weeks (this is including all the pre-diet work , op, etc).

Should I be a little disappointed? I have a 12ml band and I have about 9.8 in it I think - I have restriction but not that much ! My surgeon is amazed I have that much in there!

The weight is coming off soooo slowly. I have tried opti fast again to hurry it up and currently on isowhey. I go to the gym 4 times a week (on a good week, lets be honest here!) .

I know that a kg a week is normal, but I havent had any of the big losses that I was hoping for, and hear about!

I know 18kg is a lot, but I think I have lost it from my big toe, because I am still in the same jeans (baggier sure, but still size 20!!)

Thats enough of my whinge. Would appreciate your *honest* replys :(

Bride to be (nov 09!)

Well, I can understand disappointment! Do you wonder if there's a problem with your port??? Seems as though in six months you would be seeing bigger loss numbers. I was banded on March 12, 09 and am down 37 pounds. I focus on 70 grams of real Protein and Water, water,water. I hope you begin to see more evidence...I have a regular size 18 pant suit in the closet, was able to wear it after -30. I have a closet full of nice outfits that have been hanging for three years. That pumps me every day. I've also had normal blood sugar and blood pressure since the second day after!! I hope you find the real key to your weight and fly high with success. Hang in there!

I've only recently been banded, so I don't think I'm in a good place to speculate about your weight loss. But I WILL say that I know that in larger size pants, you have to lose MUCH more weight in order to move down a size. For instance, the amount of weight you have to lose to go from a size 6 to 4 may only be X lbs, but the weight you have to lose to go from a size 26 to 24 may be something along the lines of 3*X lbs. Get what I'm saying ? When my mother in law lost her weight with a RNY procedure, she said that it really took her something like 60 lbs or 27 or 28 kg to feel like she looked different, wear different pants, and have people mention to her that they had noticed she lost weight. I think a lot of that was because she started off at a higher weight.

Don't get discouraged ! It sounds like you're working hard and doing the right things. Tell your doctor you want a heart to heart HONEST conversation next time you go in. Best of luck !

Wow txspatter 37 lbs is almost what I have lost, and you have been banded less than a month!!!

Not sure when you were banded Cate but you have done fantastic as well.

I KNEW that this weight loss was no where near enough!! The problem being is that everyone around me keeps telling me its awsesome, and while I think its great I will never have that weight on my again, its still too low.

My doctor is the only one in this town who can fill lap bands and he thinks I am doing fine - the problem being is that the surgeon lives in Perth - maybe its time to go and see him.

Its so frustrating!!!

I completely agree with the pants size Cate, these bigger sizes have a LOT of room to grow really dont they!

Maybe the next 18 will come off quicker. I guess I have the added pressure of having to order my wedding dress in June, so whatever I am by that stage is what size the dress will be....you can get them taken in but not out

Thanks for your advice

I guess I'm going to disagree and say I think you're right on track! Most people are told to expect to lose between 1 and 2 pounds a week (roughly 0.5-1 kg.)

You've lost 18 kg (or 40 pounds) in 20 weeks. That's 2 lbs a week! That's right on schedule!

If you keep this up, you will lose almost 100 pounds in a year! That's a fantastic result!

Txspatter also has a truly amazing result, but those results are not typical, nor what I've ever been told to expect. (But congratulations on that loss! ! !)

I was banded almost a year ago--April 22nd 2008. I lost 32 pounds the few months before surgery and 68 pounds since surgery. I'm hoping I'll lose another pound or two before next week and make it 70 pounds for the first year post-op. I was told to expect to lose 50-100 pounds in the first year. I've lost about 70 AFTER losing another 30. I think that's pretty good and totally in line with the norm.

I'm sorry you're disappointed, but you're doing JUST FINE. You're totally on track with a good rate of weight loss. Based solely on that information, I think your band is just fine. Hang in there--I know it feels really, really slow some days, but you're making progress just like you should.

I agree with pnw-red, I am 5 months post op and have lost around 45lbs. My doc is very happy with the results. I'm guessing you and I are around the same weight, so you probably had right at 100lbs to lose. I think the people who have more to lose will lose it faster. I'm happy with my 45lbs, because hey I may have gained with out the band. So good luck, keep us posted.

I was wondering if people are counting what they lost before surgery when discussing this. I am only about 5 weeks out and have lost 12 just from banding and hard work, but lost 28 pounds before surgery. I also am having a hard time with what to expect.

I only ever lost 1 kg a week or so, and I got to goal eventually. Not only that but my goal was quite ambitions - went WAY past the 70% they say you'll lose to lose more than 120% of my excess weight to get to a BMI of 22.

18kg in 20 weeks IS fantastic. The band truly isnt meant to give you massive fast weight loss as you sneak up on restriction - you dont have lots at first and by the time you do you've often exhausted the easy weight loss and are on to the long hard slog part of it.

As for changing sizes, well at a BMI of 36 I had to lose 17kg before I went down a dress size and before people actually noticed. Now I lose 2kg and my pants are too loose! The lighter you are, the more every kg shows but its a big slap in the face to realise you've gotten so fat that 18kgs barely makes a noticeable difference. Dont worry, you're on the right track and you're doing great!

Please, please don't get discouraged!!!The first 4 months after I was banded I only lost 1 lb. That was due to no fill in my band from a bad nurse. Once I got the good nurse I started losing. I have now lost 41 lbs (I was banded June 23, 2008). I have gone from a size 14 to a size 4!!! I didn't have that much to lose but I had major health issues that had to be addressed. I went to the doctor yesterday and they said I may not need to lose anymore weight so I didn't even get a fill. My surgeons office offers free psych counseling and nutritional advice. Even though I'm thin I still think I'm big and the they were very helpful with that. Hang in there, you will lose the weight. There is a slow learning curve learning what you can eat, what gets stuck and when you have to stop. Best of luck!!

Thanks everyone for your support! After my fill on Monday I actually am having a lot more restriction so I am hoping that this is my sweet spot = more weight loss!

My goal is about 60 kgs all up , so I guess I am a third way there. Here is hoping!!

Its a marathon not a race. each person has their own pace. I have plateau and then lose plateau and then lose. I wouldn't get dissapointed I would just keep plugging along it comes when it comes... Dissapointment is just another set back that you don't need.

hey btb,

i lost heaps till i started gym now it has stopped. remeber muscle is dense and heavy then fat so dont worry to much about scales.

do u feel fitter and heathly?

my bra size moved quicker then my pants size hahah

keep going, took years to put the fat on, wont come off over night. so i keep telling myself

I'm a slow loser (about 30 pounds in 6 months) but, in my case, that is partly because I've only had two fills. My doctor wanted me to wait 3 months between my first and second fill and I foolishly didn't reschedule my second fill to be earlier (he had said that would be okay but I just didn't reschedule).

That said, while I'm not totally thrilled with the amount of poundage I've lost, I can tell that my habits have changed completely. Also, even at this slower rate (which may excellerate once I get a few more fills), I'll still have lost 60 pounds in a year without really "dieting" (counting points or calories).

Yes, I wish it were faster, but I KNOW that I'm eating a hell of a lot less food, eating slower and achieving my ultimate goal--to be a more healthy me.

You're doing great--as long as the scale is moving downward, the band is working. Slow weight loss is still weight lost and it adds up over time.

As one person once said to me: If you plan on being around a year from now, isn't it better to be even 10 pounds lighter than nothing?

Edited by Betelnut
Spelling

Good morning everyone!!!!! Wow this was a great post. Everyone so full of encouragement I needed this big time. I was banded in Texas last Sept and I weighed in at 435 I lost I think 12 pds before surgery and then banded. I have today stepped on the scale and I am at 368.8. My fills were few and far between since I left Texas and went to Alabama briefly and everything was out of pocket. First fill cost me a 100 ok so no problem but then came the second one and they requested 400 so needless to say the fills stopped. I have now moved to New York about 7 weeks ago and as of last Friday I got my 3rd fill. I was very impressed with the Dr as he stated I was behind the curve with the fills based on how far I am out, but ahead of the weightloss curve and whatever I did worked for me. Well to tell you I didn't struggle through this would be a lie. I still have no restriction and I go back in 2 weeks for another fill. I have always got to watch everything that goes in my mouth. I agree with everyone here who has said what everyone has lost is right on schedule. I find that the bigger you are the more weight for some crazy reason you lose. I know I was huge and I still have along way to go but I do know one thing I will get there and so will the rest of you. Constant support and prayers is the only thing that will make this a success for everyone. Big hugs and keep moving forward.

I understand the frustration! I flew during the first month after surgery. I was filled last Wednesday with 5.5 cc's. My weight loss has come to a screeching halt and it is frustrating. Understanding how all of this works is a challenge. I simply continuing to do all of the right things. But, after dropping 44 immediately, 1 to 2 per week is really going to be frustrating. Now I get to adjust my expectations of ME!!!