Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Corliss, Thanks for your advice. Goodluck with your next banding. I am scared to death. I really worry I should just do this on my own. I am 5'4" 225lbs. I have had a wt problem all my life. My wt now I feel keeps me from doing alot! and there is also the health issues. So I pray I am making the right choice. My insurance does not pay 1 penny. Thats alot of money approx. 17,500 to be paying for something you are not sure will work. I heard one lady only lost 20lbs. I quess I need encourgement. Thanks, Debbie

Debbie, have you considered going to Mexico? I am having mine done there for 7600 as there is no way I can afford or come up with 17,500 or the twenty something it would be here in my area. I know many people are not comfortable with the idea of going to Mx but i have met my surgeon and have great respect for him as he evaluated me and assisted me when I first began having problems. He is in Monterrey Mx and works in one of the most beautiful hospitals I have ever seen which is JACHO accredited. There are many good and qualified surgeons in Mexico and Costa Rica which have even more expertise than most US surgeons in Banding and other bariatric proceedures.

Regardless of where y ou have it done, just follow most of the rules most of the time and you will quiet likely loose all the wt. There are a lot of people who are not willing to do what it takes and end up very unhappy. There are a few for whom the band just does not work but those are extremely rare in my opinion. It is a fact the less calories you put in and the more you expend the more wt. you will loose. The band is not magic but it is a very effective tool which when managed correctly greatly reduces hunger and allows us to control how much we choose ot put into our bodies. The hard part is in making the choices of what we eat. It is much easier to turn down chips and pizza when we are feeling satiated from some nice succulent roast beef and asparagus. Even 3 hours later we might feel hard pressed to eat anything.

I was very blessed to have had this tool. I am thrilled about getting another one. I will work till I drop to pay it off, and thats okay at least I will be able to have a life. If you want to see a tremendous difference, check out my profile. I am no longer that slim, but shall return there and fortunately now I am able to work 13 hour shifts and continue to make a good living and help others.

Good luck to you.

Corliss:seeya:

Debbie:Yes, it is a big financial commitment, but I have heard so many people say that it was well worth it. I have even heard people who later had complications say that it was still worth it for the time they had it. As for losing weight without the band, if you think you can do it there is no risk in seriously trying to lose weight on your own before considering Lap Band Surgery. Also, there are a few doctors that do the surgery for much cheaper than the price you stated. Dr. Kirshenbaum in Colorado is the cheapest I know of, I think he charges under $10,000. There are also doctors in Michigan and Texas for around $11,000. I've also heard many success stories from people who got banded in Mexico, which usually costs between 7 and 9 thousand for the whole ordeal. No matter what you do, don't give up!

debbie888, I definately share your concerns. Do you have a local support group for people who have had the lap band? I was required to attend a meeting b/4 my surgery (06-01-09) and that meeting was very helpful. I got to visit and see the weightloss first hand it was very inspiring. Hang in there, think positive and try to attend a meeting, it might help. Good Luck

April

My surgery is June 1st too! I hope they have a good weekend and are ready for us.I go in at 7:30am.I tried the shakes last week and got so hungry.I decided to go ahead and eat my cravings so I won't be wanting them right after surgery.My Doc only requires three day clear liquid diet.< /p>

My endo started me on insulin so I am getting my blood sugars down a little. Hopefully when they are more controlled I won't be as hungry.Let's keep in touch.

Debbie, 17,500 is definitely more than a lot of people are paying. My daughter flew from nyc to Houston and paid 13,500 (NY, NJ, PA are all pretty high). Her doctor was part of the original 14-member team that introduced the band to the US from Europe. Requires almost no pre-op diet (he's done 4,000 plus procedures. I've also seen on here doctors in Colorado under 10k. And whether you're making the right decision or not, only you can answer that but if it's a lifelong problem, do you want to spend the rest of your life dealing with it. I'm being banded June 1, but my daughter is my biggest support and my primary care physician.

My daughter was 265 at 5-10 on Feb 2008. i can't even begin to tell the difference it has made in her life. She is now about 170 and a size 8, but is having to have plastis surgery. But she has never regretted it a day. And, yes, there are some people that don't do as well. I have a neighbor's sister who had it done and has never had a fill, never lost a pound, but is also an alcoholic...duh.

I'm 57 and clearly don't expect the same results as a 37 year old, but I've lost the same 50 lbs I can't tell you how many times and it is now or was 87 pounds and every time I gained it back, it came with a new set of health issues.

So find a support group if you can near you. If money is the issue, you clearly have options. Once my daughter had all of her blood work and whatever other tests her doctor required in Houston, she was scheduled within the month (no six-month regimen like some of us have had to meet.)

Good luck in whatever decision you decide.

Trisha

Hello, I just found out I was approved today fed. bc/bs

and my band date will be June12 she offered me the June 10th but I wanted to have to have close to the weekend. I am already on the Protein Shakes I have been since the 5/19 I have to lose 15 pounds.

Scheduled for June 25! All tests are done now it's the waiting game.

I was feeling like I had to eat all my favorite foods (yea the same ones that got me in the shape I am now..lol) before it was too late, thankfully that passed very quickly. I started Protein shakes this week 2x's a day and it's been working. I am trying to adjust to liquids so that the first stage after surgery won't be such a shock! Cutting down on caffeine is also helping, cravings for sweets getting less and less each day.

June 25the for me! I never ate in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep...but now I suddenly feel the need to, what that all about?? So far I have been able to fight the urge...but I don't understand why it's happening all of the sudden.

Just got my date today ---- june 15th. yippee!

I'm in Colo Springs but having it done in Lone Tree, CO with Dr. Chae

I am scheduled for the 17th of June for surgery!!!! I just have the nutrition class next week and pre-op blood work!! We are going to visit my in-laws for the week before surgery in Florida. Somehow I am going to try to keep the pre-op diet from nosey eyes!

Also, I have weened myself off of coffee but still drink Coke Zero like it's going out of style! I think I am going to wait until the pre-op diet to give it up for good.

Good luck to us all!!!

Sally

Victoriasmom98, My surgery is June 18th also :lol:

in Wareham, Mass by Dr. Kruger. I hope to be in close touch with all of you June Bandsters!!! God bless us all!

BigAli

Hello!!!! I am being banded on june 8th in st.louis by dr.wagner... Can't wait.. Does anyone's dr. Do the 2 incision surgery vs. The 5 incision surgery??? Something new dr.wagner is performing.. Have you heard of this??? Can't wait till june!!!!!

HI Nicole my date is the 8th as well and my doc is doing the two incision also! I could care less about all the extra scars from the traditional multi site surgery because I have so many stretchmarks anyway, but I think it will be nice to only be sore in 2 places instead of 4! I just learned about this yesterday and have yet to research it, but I'm just about to.

If you're still on for the 8th you're prob. on the pre-op diet like myself, stay strong and GOOD LUCK:thumbup:

Edited by KOLaficionado

My surgery is June 1 (next Monday) and surgeon does the four incisions which is fine. They're already switching doing the Realize band. So don't need them trying anything else new...:lol::)

Day 8 of two week diet.

Trisha