Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being told I"m the smallest!

Hi all. My banding is set to happen on the 14th. I'm on the pre op diet right now..and very hungry!

I'm wondering if anyone else is in my situation. My BMI is just 35... I was told I was one of the smallest candidates for surgery thus far in the facility I am going to. I have about 90pds to lose.

I look at my family history of obesity related disease, and my current track record of about a 10 pound gain per year (that's the lose 40 gain 50 formula) and want to prevent getting any bigger. I wonder if I am alone in this thought process. I would be great to know if there are others out there in the same boat.

Not at all. You're sensible. A BMI of 35 is well and truly obese! Its obese enough to land you in hot Water a few years down the track. I was about the same, I didnt have health problems YET but I didnt want them in the future.

And I really am over worrying about whether I will offend heavier people who have more to contend with or who are thrilled to have slimmed down to 35 when I say I was damn fat, i felt disgusting, I looked horrible - bloated and unhappy with rolls of flabby flesh. No way was I waiting until I was even fatter.

I did get one comment in the hospital from a nurse about being "small" - well she was probably heavier than I was at that stage and she asked me why i was doing it. And I've had lots of friends way bigger than I ever got express their feeling that they would never do anything so drastic.

I dont care - I'm thin, I'm healthy and I feel hot. They're well, not.

Its a very sensible thing to do for your future health and your own feelings and beliefs are all that matter.

Hey moonbeam. I'm right at the 35 BMI now. I've blogged about not telling anyone (but DH), and besides the WLS docs & pre-op docs, I've only ever told 4 doctors and 5 nurses (all not part of the WLS). I got the same reaction from every one of them "You're not heavy enough to need WLS!", even after I told them I need to lose 80-100 pounds they wouldn't believe me...I never convinced one that I need this even after I told them about my terrible family history of diabetes, stroke and heart attacks...glad I'm not telling anyone else! I've done the yo-yo in a major way (like you, losing up to 50# each time) for the last 20 years...I want off this ride! I'm not worried as much about losing the weight as I am about keeping it off. I just developed hypertension this past year, I'm glad I'm taking care of this and getting healthy...just wish I'd done it the first time I rode the roller-coaster up the hill. You're not alone! There's several self-payers that are in the 30-35 BMI category on LBT too.

Thanks Jachut and Band groupie for your comments and support. I needed to hear that. I wish I could take back telling a few people about it. Some of my heavier friends seemed to be almost angry with me, and far from supportive. While it's interesting to be told I'm not fat enough.. it's not what I want to hear right now!

Hi all. My banding is set to happen on the 14th. I'm on the pre op diet right now..and very hungry!

I'm wondering if anyone else is in my situation. My BMI is just 35... I was told I was one of the smallest candidates for surgery thus far in the facility I am going to. I have about 90pds to lose.

I look at my family history of obesity related disease, and my current track record of about a 10 pound gain per year (that's the lose 40 gain 50 formula) and want to prevent getting any bigger. I wonder if I am alone in this thought process. I would be great to know if there are others out there in the same boat.

I am in the same boat here. BMI 35-36. I am going to schedule my VSG soon. I don't want this to get any more out of control than it is now. I can't imagine being larger what I would do. I feel like that now with abilities to do things like putting on socks or reaching to wipe :smile2::grouphug:

Unless I can be stretched out instead this weight has just got to go! I am just too short for my weight :o)

I just need to come up with the cashola now! Canadian

money doesn't go far these days. :welldoneclap:

While it's interesting to be told I'm not fat enough.. it's not what I want to hear right now!

LOL...I blogged about this one too...I was in one Urologists office (sitting with the sheet over my naked lap) and the Dr. & nurse went on for about 10 min. talking about how I didn't need this. It was exhausting trying to convince them...I finally said "I don't carry my weight up top, it's all in the lower half...take a look at my fat behind when I'm ready to leave." I was SO not getting up off the table to moon them. Yep, they were in the hall when I left.

You know what, this is something that gets my goat about people. Everyone's a bl00dy expert. The thin people don't understand why you'd want to "RESORT to such measures" and the people that are bigger than you are jealous and wish they could have it done - OR are justifying their weight by saying that it is so drastic.

All of these comments are about THEM and their own baggage, not you. You are doing what is right for you in your own heart - and I salute that - and if they were real friends then they would too!

Stay strong!! xx

i was also banded at a lower BMI. and trust me i got lots of comments. i even had a co-worker say that i must have got my doctor to lie on my pre-op paperwork. i also had several hospital staff comment that i was one of the smallest people they'd seen have WLS. i have to say every most of the people that made comments were signifigantly heavier than i was. i just tell people that its none of there business. they have no clue what my family history is. they dont know that im only 33 and have been on BP meds for years already. ive been struggling with my weight for years and come from a family where every adult is morbidly obese. i applaude anyone who has the sense to figure out the unhealthy path they're on. that has the sense to take control of the food issues they have nstead of letting food continue to control us. for alot of us its not the size we are now but size we know were gonna reach if we dont get our weight under control.

i was also banded at a lower BMI. and trust me i got lots of comments. i even had a co-worker say that i must have got my doctor to lie on my pre-op paperwork. i also had several hospital staff comment that i was one of the smallest people they'd seen have WLS. i have to say every most of the people that made comments were signifigantly heavier than i was. i just tell people that its none of there business. they have no clue what my family history is. they dont know that im only 33 and have been on BP meds for years already. ive been struggling with my weight for years and come from a family where every adult is morbidly obese. i applaude anyone who has the sense to figure out the unhealthy path they're on. that has the sense to take control of the food issues they have nstead of letting food continue to control us. for alot of us its not the size we are now but size we know were gonna reach if we dont get our weight under control.

AMEN...... i agree with you 100 percent. I know I certainly dont want to wait until I get even fatter to get the surgery. I want to nip this in the bud while I am still relatively young and mostly healthy. Luckily I do not have diabetes or high blood pressure..Yet. I have had reflux for years and was diagnosed with sleep apena three years ago..(weird thing is this last sleep study said I did not have it.. go figure). But my mother had high BP, my sister has high BP and my grandmother was diabetic and I think my father is now too. I have been diagnosed with "hypoglycemia" (dont know if I belive that one though) and was told that later in life it usually turns into diabetes. So my thinking is why wait. Yeah my BMI was only about 37 when I started this (LOL yeah I said only, I am still obese) but I certainly do not want it to go any higher. So I will have my surgery April 16th and hopefully never see a weight this high again. :smile2:

I too am on the lower end of the scale (no pun intended ;-)It seems to me that the more weight you have to lose, the quicker it seems to come off (or perhaps, the results are more obvious) I've been worried that the weight will take longer to come off me knowing I have about 75 lbs to lose vs. 150. does anybody know if it takes longer for somebody with less to lose??

I too am on the lower end of the scale (no pun intended ;-)It seems to me that the more weight you have to lose, the quicker it seems to come off (or perhaps, the results are more obvious) I've been worried that the weight will take longer to come off me knowing I have about 75 lbs to lose vs. 150. does anybody know if it takes longer for somebody with less to lose??

Yeah, the longer I ready people's stories, the more certain I am that this is true. For them it's always the last 75-100# that take forever to get off (what we have to lose). I know it's true with me whenever I've done diets. I lose faster at the beginning and it slows to a creep as I reach goal (your body gets used to living with less calories so it slows your metabolism to match). I plan to switch up my calorie intake to keep my body guessing and I'll try never to go into that 'starvation mode'; 800 or less cals., as that halts weight loss. If you find any other tips...please share them! We'll get there, but just don't get discouraged when the higher BMI group is losing twice as many pounds per month. We'll all reach the finish line in our own time!