Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling kinda ugly...

So I know that this is going to sound weird but today, at my lowest weight in over 12 yrs, I have felt uglier than I have in ages.

I was at the gym working out with my trainer when I caught a look at myself in the mirror. I have been big all my life but seeing myself tonight was a very ugly image in my mind. I am starting to get a large number of loose skin rolls on my body and my weight in my abdomen has lowered and sits very predominantly in my front.

Before I was "big" but, oddly enough, I wore the fat suit well. Now I'm just a flappy blob who is disproportional. Yes, I have been really successful with my band but aren't I suppose to feel better after this much weight loss???

I know that this might pass but has anybody else felt like this?

I think we all do. Not so much about my body but my (aging) face. Some days I feel great and some days I catch the wrong sight of myself and I am gutted. Yellow teeth (we're not all into teeth whitening and dental work downunder, lol), dark circles under my eyes. I love a fake tan, makes me feel good and WAY more attractive, but catch it in the wrong light and yuk - yellow and blotchy. I have the beginnings of a turkey neck. I can obsess over my flaccid, saggy boobs.

Other days I feel on top of the world, I think I'm hot and I have so much confidence.

Nobody but nobody examines us like we examine ourselves. They see your overall persona and dont stop and look at you, REALLY look the way you do when you're obsessing over your nose or whatever. They see the you they know, the happy person, or the caring person, or the funny person or the strong person and your looks are so tied up in WHO you are that they dont just objectively look and think "ugly".

Nearly everyone, when broken down into individual features or parts of their body or whatever has some ugly bits. Focus on what's good about yourself, its all about how you feel and who CARES if you're kidding yourself about how hot you are, as long as you truly believe it, you will be it.

I feel you camikat. In clothing I look much better, naked, uhhhh, not so much. I HATE my arms. The swooshing sound I SWEAR they make if I wave at someone:blushing:. Now I only wear 3/4 length sleeves or longer. It makes me kind of sad that I am so hung up on body image that I can't just completely enjoy my weight loss and healthier body. Jeez, I am a mess. Hopefully one day I can appreciate me like others do.

I am in the same boat as you, Camikat. I feel good about the weight that I've lost, but I can't get my mind off of my even saggier stomach and flabbier arms. My skin just isn't bouncing back like I wanted it to. I've been having difficulties feeling good about myself, too. I have a horrible self-image. I'm hoping someday that I'll be able to fix it, but I'm not quite sure how. For now, I just try to focus on all the weight that I've lost and how much more I'm going to lose and that makes me feel better. Someday I might be able to have plastic surgery and get rid of all the extra skin, but for now I've just gotta learn to deal with it. I ended up buying a body suit a couple of days ago from Spanx to help hold in all the flabbiness of my stomach. It seems to help a little. Maybe that's something that you could look into.