Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i need help with not drinking with meals

my doc says no drinking for 30 minutes before and after meals, since the liquid will help wash the food through easier, and you wont feel full.

anyway, im 7days post op, and im already struggling with this. ive always drank tons with my meals. im the type of person that when we go out to eat, the waitress brings Water, and by the time she comes back to take the order i need a refill, lol. when i dont (pre band, im still on mostly liquid moving to mushy) it sometimes feels like the food gets stuck, especially breads.

anyway, any tips or tricks to help me get over this? is a little Water with my meal really that bad, provided i dont drink 3+ glasses like i used to?

Ashley,

The few times I have tried to drink with my meal, my food got stuck...it was not a good feeling. So, I am surprised that you are able to drink and eat. I can't because it's too painful.

my doc says no drinking for 30 minutes before and after meals, since the liquid will help wash the food through easier, and you wont feel full.

anyway, im 7days post op, and im already struggling with this. ive always drank tons with my meals. im the type of person that when we go out to eat, the waitress brings Water, and by the time she comes back to take the order i need a refill, lol. when i dont (pre band, im still on mostly liquid moving to mushy) it sometimes feels like the food gets stuck, especially breads.

anyway, any tips or tricks to help me get over this? is a little Water with my meal really that bad, provided i dont drink 3+ glasses like i used to?

My thoughts are the same as well. I was banded on Feb 9, 2009 and I have been struggling with the same issue. Well since I have been banded I still drink with my meals first to get wash stuck food to go down and to wash the dryness from my mouth. But I only take small tips.

When I go out to eat I try to drink something before going or if it at the spare of the moment kind a of thing I want drink until I get my food. I always end up taking food home. How about the rolls they service before the meal? Its so tempting. :rolleyes2:

Oh, I am the same way. I usually drink 3 glasses of Water when we go out to eat. At least 1-2 cup while eating a meal at home. I am day 14 post-op, I've started on the soft food. I also find it difficult to keep the water away from myself while eating fish, egg and well cooked vege.

For me, as I've gotten more restriction, this is easier and easier to do. If I am eating, now, and forget and drink I almost ALWAYS get stuck and it's a nightmare. It is much easier to pass it up and wait per instructions. hang in there!

This is the one LB rule that I could not follow. Now granted I do not drink like I used to with meals, but I do drink about half a glass of Water when I eat. I tried going without, and I just could not do it. I have restriction, but I am not tight because I have not yet had a fill. So this has not caused me any issues with being stuck.

I truly did try going without liquids at meals, and I just could not do it!

I am the same type of person as you. Preband when eating out I would drink 3 - 4 glasses of beverage during a meal. So this has been a difficult change for me as well. I still struggle with it but I am getting better. I've found it best to not even have a drink near me during the meal. So I won't even be tempted. If I do have one near me, I just sip at it. Just enough to wet my mouth. It seems to help with the unnaturalness of it. I saw someone on this board post that hey did this and it has helped me a lot.

This is the one LB rule that I could not follow. Now granted I do not drink like I used to with meals, but I do drink about half a glass of Water when I eat. I tried going without, and I just could not do it. I have restriction, but I am not tight because I have not yet had a fill. So this has not caused me any issues with being stuck.

I truly did try going without liquids at meals, and I just could not do it!

:rolleyes2: I had my first fill on March 19,2009 and I tell you it has not been a good feeling since. The pain I feel after trying to eat is horrible. I had to vomited several times just to relieve the pressure from my chest. Nothing but liquid for me right now. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow to find out how long on this liquid diet thing.

I always drank alot while eating too....but since having the surgery I try not to even put a drink near me. I put it in the kitchen and force myself to finish eating...wait 30 minutes and then drink. It has only been 21 days since my lap band was put in but I am finding it easier to do. I do have a hard time with the 30 before because with my job I don not always know exactly when I am going to go to lunch...but I do my best.

Tif