Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 year out and have issue...

I've been banded a little over 4 years. I've lost 80 lbs and would like to lose 20 more but if i get my band tight enough for decent restriction during the day its too tight for sleeping at night. At night i will have reflux and cough up liquid. Has anyone else experienced this?

I had to post because I want the answer to. I haven't been banded quiet a year yet & just when I thought I was at my sweet spot back in December it got to where I was having reflux at night then coughing up the liquid then eventually I had to go for an unfill because I wasn't sleeping at all & started pbing so much I couldn't keep nothing down. They are filling me back up gradually & when I go next Monday hopefully I'll be close back to where I was before the unfill. I am so ready to have restriction again but I'm also afraid of not being able to sleep again.

Yes, I have experienced the same thing. I have been banded about 2.5 yrs and lost 115lbs, I would like to loose another 30. Back in December I had the same problem, cough, coking, spitting up at night. I had to have a slight unfill also. It's better now unless I eat to much or too late at night.

Its been 13 months for me. I started having reflux after my third fill, even when i lost restriction. Guess my stomach doesnt like the band at that tightness. I take reflux meds daily and dont eat at least 3 hrs before bed.

I had the same issue, but a small unfill completely fixed the problem. It is no longer an issue for me but is an extreme issue if I am too tight.

Its pretty common. Unfortunately you cant just keep going tighter and tighter to get to the weight you want, if these problems arise before you get there, then I think you really have to stop and look at what you can do with your diet and exercise at current restriction to get the rest of the weight off.

easier said than done, I know. I'm lucky my band took me to a BMI of 22, but I'd like to lose another 10 or so. I cant manage it either - I'd need more restriction and if I had more I'd be too tight. But if I really pulled my finger out, watched my diet, zipped my lip and did even MORE exercise, I could lose it - without more restriction.

I guess I wanted the good ole days back when the band did most the work. I think you're absolutely right Jachut. Thanks for everyones input.

What is pbing

What is pbing

Pb- Productive Burping. When something you eat or drink doesn't stay down. If I take too big of a bite and it cannot go through the band (stuck) if I bend over normally it comes right back up.

My doc told me to try Prilosec to help, when I have a fill it tends to be super tight for 2 weeks and then it loosens up to where it stays until I have another adjustment. If I can get through the first 2 weeks, I'm fine.

I got the great idea to have a total unfill last fall and now have had to little by little get fills just to get back to where I was. At $350 a pop I'm really kicking myself for getting that unfill.

Today we got me up to where I was before the unfill and my doc said to stay away from ibuprofen and take Prilosec to see if that keeps my body from freaking out.

I had to had a unfill about 5 weeks ago, to solve the reflux problem. There was some concern about a slip but that wasn't a problem. I went back in two weeks after the unfill and he put in 7 cc's...he had taken out 8. He was going to put all 8 back in but I'm so glad he didn't. $200 a fill/unfill for me..but I'd rather go slower for that last cc. I felt ever cc of it going in and for about 5 days...could actually FEEL the restriction, most of the time. That feeling has dwindled... I'm afraid to go back to 8 but probably will in another month. I need the restriction.

BTW...I had my last fill about 15 months before the unfill. I just got some swelling, presumably from a stuck episode..and it got more and more irritated..more PB's and vomiting, actually. At the end I could hardly keep liquids down, but just didn't think it could be the band because I hadn't had a fill in so long. Stubborn, I am.

I also have 30 more to go...and it isn't happening without me making some more changes.

BTW...I had my last fill about 15 months before the unfill. I just got some swelling, presumably from a stuck episode..and it got more and more irritated..more PB's and vomiting, actually. At the end I could hardly keep liquids down, but just didn't think it could be the band because I hadn't had a fill in so long. Stubborn, I am.

It is interesting that you brought this up. I had a fill for many months that was stable and I thought I was at my sweet spot. Then I had a stuck episode and ended up needing an emergency unfill because I couldn't keep liquids down.

I always thought you had to have a fill and then it would be too tight. That is not always the case . . . sometimes it just happens.

Ok, I too have been getting tighter over the last 2 months, but haven't had a fill in 7 months. I was planning a fill, but don't need to now. However, would like to know if this is a sign that my band may be slipping.

Please respond if this has happened to you!

Lisa

I am having some reflux issues and made an appt. to go in Tuesday. Although this fill has been 'the one' I am not willing to risk damaging my stomach/band/esophagus for a bit of extra loss. It's so hard to stay sensible sometimes when we fight fight fight to lose the weight. But this is about my health I have to keep telling myself.