Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bunny Bandsters - April '09, MASTER THREAD #1

Shrinking the Liver-

FYI...I thought I'd look up how a liver shrinks through diet...just curious, since my doc doesn't require a pre-op diet. Here's what I found out (surgery article from BOSPA):

By following a strict diet (low fat, sugar and carbs), your body reduces its glycogen stores (glycogen is a form of sugar stored in the liver and muscles for energy). With each ounce of glycogen, the body stores 3–4 ounces of Water, so when you follow a very strict diet, especially one that is low in starch and sugar, your body loses its glycogen stores and some water. The liver shrinks as it has less glycogen and water in it. This diet is only recommended for one week before surgery and is not to be followed post–operatively. It is quite possible you lose a lot of weight that week, but it will be mainly be water loss. Please ensure you continue to drink throughout the day.

I thought it was interesting that it explains that the liver is shrinking because of water loss in the liver. That also explains why people gain weight many times once they get back on normal foods, even when they're not eating many Kcals...the water is coming back too.

Edited by Band_Groupie

Wow, that was a whole lot of reading, but now I'm up to date. Congrats to all that have been banned, positive thoughts for a speedy recovery for those banned today, hoping time flies quickly for those waiting.

Can I please be added to the list for April 16th. Thanks! :thumbdown:

I have to be honest and say that I'm stuggling with the all liquid diet. Yesterday I cheated, I didn't have Slimfast for lunch or dinner to compensate. My cheat was chicken salad with light mayo, pineapple, grapes & celery. It was 4oz worth. Now after reading all the posts talking about not cheating, I've kinda freaked myself out. I don't want to miss out on surgery, I want this done. I want to be successful. I've been through an awful lot in life and know that I'm a tough cookie. I've just got to use that strength to get me through this 2 weeks.

so maybe like 140

I don't know your height, but I'll give you mine and you can get an idea. I'm about 5' 8.5" and my 'shoot for the stars' goal is 148 (just because that will be 100# LOL). I've been back down to 160 several times recently and I know I had more than 10# extra on me then, but 148 may be attainable with lots of work, or if I'm a little above it and happy, that's fine with me (I'm one who won't be disappointed if I don't reach a certain goal). 148 would give me a BMI of 22.2. I was at 19.5 when I got married and (even flat chested-just so you know there wasn't any fat on me) I was too thin. Part of this does depend on your body build (and your age). I set a range for my goal. Hope that helps!

Today is the end of my liquid diet... lost 23 pds in 15 days. Tomorrow is my surgery day!!!! I'm so excited! Maybe a bit nervous but not too bad so far! Gotta be at the hospital at 5:30 in the morning and surgery scheduled for 7:30! I'll be the first of the day! Gotta stay overnight so will be released some time on Thursday. I'll postop post asap! Please keep me in your prayers!!!

Update:

I went to my preop appt. yesterday. I am on a low cal diet but Dr. said he was not worried about my liver. He said if I loose 5-8 lbs by surgery day (24th) all will be fine.

I went by the surgery center where I am scheduled for surgery. It really helped my medical anxiety to see the surroundings I will be in. I would recommend this to anyone with medical phobias. It really calmed my nerves and now I will not have the added anxiety of processing new surroundings on the day of surgery!

Bless all of you on liquid diets because I bought some Protein Shake and it was the worst thing I have ever tasted!

BG, thanks so much for the info you found on the liver shrinking. I don't have a pre op diet either and have been worrying about my liver. I mean, hey, we ARE in the minority here...almost everyone has a preop diet!!lol I have been trying to do my own version of a preop diet, thinking that it will help. Low carbs and Protein Shakes, but eating dinner once in a while as long as it is Protein and veggies.

I just have to trust my surgeon and know that she has done tons of these surgeries and knows what will or will not make it easier. Did your doc elaborate on why they don't require a preop diet?

Good luck and congrats on the losing 23 pounds, ldeere!

Thoughts and prayers to all you bunnies scheduled for today and tomorrow!!:thumbdown:

ldeere-awesome WL, good luck!

BG, thanks so much for the info you found on the liver shrinking. I don't have a pre op diet either and have been worrying about my liver. I mean, hey, we ARE in the minority here...almost everyone has a preop diet!!lol I have been trying to do my own version of a preop diet, thinking that it will help. Low carbs and Protein Shakes, but eating dinner once in a while as long as it is Protein and veggies.

I just have to trust my surgeon and know that she has done tons of these surgeries and knows what will or will not make it easier. Did your doc elaborate on why they don't require a preop diet?

I'll let you know Thursday when I have my pre-op class (I just got the phone call from the insurance/scheduler who told me no preop diet). My docs take on all the hard cases in Pittsburgh (the other hospitals send them patients regularly) so I'm hoping they're just that good LOL! It wouldn't surprise me though, when I went to my surgeon consult with questions I found here they just laughed at some of them...ie. needing fluoro. or xray to find ports ever (answer was 'we won't need that'). I'll be sure to ask!

Heyy everyone I just had my Lap-band installed yesterday! They released me from the hospital this morning around 10:30AM! I am pretty sore & also very tired! I don't have any trouble walking around..and I don't seem to have much gas pain =]! the incision where my port is hurts the most..but it's bareable! Overall I had a good experience, and I'm happy to have it done! Although, I don't feel like it's actually in me (but it is)! Good Luck everyone...my journey begins =]!

Today is the end of my liquid diet... lost 23 pds in 15 days. Tomorrow is my surgery day!!!! I'm so excited! Maybe a bit nervous but not too bad so far! Gotta be at the hospital at 5:30 in the morning and surgery scheduled for 7:30! I'll be the first of the day! Gotta stay overnight so will be released some time on Thursday. I'll postop post asap! Please keep me in your prayers!!!

YAY LDEERE!!! You did it!! One more step in the process and you're out the other side! The operation is a breeze, you will be so happy when you wake up!!! Let us know how it goes!! Thinking of you!xx

- Re: Preop diets. Many overweight people have large fatty livers. When they do the operation they have to lift the liver out of the way and there is a risk with the more they have to bend and lift the liver to get to the stomach - the higher chance of the liver rupturing and bleeding which is a pain for the surgeon, takes longer to fix etc and can be dangerous. Obviously bigger livers have to be lifted more than smaller ones, and therefore the risk is higher of rupture etc. The other thing is that the more fat on the liver the more dripping of fat (yes, actually dripping :smile:) onto the camera probe which is a pain - Hence the pre-op diet. I would imagine however, that people with lower BMI's (in the 30s) they may not bother as their liver would probably not be as big as us 40s+ girls and guys! - and at the end of the day if they get in there and see that the liver is massive and fatty, they just won't proceed with the operation.

Have you guys checked out the operation on Youtube?

the beginning of this one:

gives the best picture of how tricky it can be to lift a massive liver (although this liver looks weird as it is practically dead!)

Edited by lingling

To all the Bunny Banders- I am looking forward to chatting with you all. I am not good at computer things so my site will not have your cute sign, but I'm with you. MiMi Teapot

It's only me wishing all the best things tomorrow for ldeere2005, tstanart and singer b. Hope all goes smoothly. Keep us posted.