Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

too much restriction?!

I am in need of some advice! I was banded Thursday the 12th and am having the hardest time eating.I guess I am asking what others have been consuming on average just to compare!

I can never eat or drink any more than a couple small sips or few bites. Even when I am eating I feel sick to my stomach. I am so incredibly weak and have lost 15 pounds. Really 15 pounds in 4 days! That's not normal! I am gonna call my doc tomorrow... I just in the meantime wanted all of your advice and experiences.

:) thanks so much!

Congrats on the band. Your discomfort may be due to simple swelling from the surgery. Do check with the doc but mine said the band would be empty until my first fill at about 6 weeks. I had 1 round of Clear Liquids to see if I could keep it down. Then I was put on full liquids (Carnation Instant Breakfast, jell-o, juice water); really anything that could pass through a straw, for my overnight. Went home with that for a week, I did slid in some egg drop Soup. Now on mushies. I had really thin oatmeal, blended beef soup and a Protein Shake today. My instructions are to sip, see how it goes down and how I feel, proceed slowly. Good Luck

well i am wondering what you are eating post op. i was on an all liquid diet for 8 weeks post op. thats not to say i didn't cheat some buti did keep it to liquids at least the first 2 weeks.

I had no apetite for the first full week. I had to force myself to drink. I drank in small sips as much as I could manage to avoid dehydration, sipping on Water, broth and just a little Protein shake. I did not measure, I just sipped throughout the day.

After that the swelling went down and I was just fine. At that point my appetite came back and I was sooo hungry with one more week of liquids and two weeks of solids to go.

Edited by Jodi_620

I am in need of some advice! I was banded Thursday the 12th and am having the hardest time eating.I guess I am asking what others have been consuming on average just to compare!

I can never eat or drink any more than a couple small sips or few bites. Even when I am eating I feel sick to my stomach. I am so incredibly weak and have lost 15 pounds. Really 15 pounds in 4 days! That's not normal! I am gonna call my doc tomorrow... I just in the meantime wanted all of your advice and experiences.

:) thanks so much!

Hi Bek,

What you are experiencing is pretty normal in my understanding - I was banded in mid-November. I didn't eat much the first couple of weeks. I followed my post-op eating recommendations and did nothing but liquids.

You have been through major surgery - true, there are no major big incisions, but this is a big change, and you MUST give your body a chance to heal. Please review your doc's post-op instructions and by all means call them if you are really worried / concerned, but what you may be experiencing is Water weight loss.

Be careful - I've read so many stories about people who didn't follow post-op instructions and had problems. Take care of yourself, and know that the initial fast weight loss WILL slow down as you move into the mushy stage and then back to solid food.

I also had some minor problems drinking liquids after the banding but it only lasted about the first week. I could have my liquid drinks but had to drink them very slowly. My realize C band was restricted to begin with according to the swallow test done the morning after the band ws installed. I guess some of the swelling has gone down because I can now add mushies slowly with no back up. I am still having trouble with not drinking with my small meals.

Hi! Congratulations on your surgery!!!

I assumed I had no fill at surgery, but came to find out that I actually had 3cc in my band at surgery. That's a lot of pressure on a traumatized stomach. I had to really make myself sip that Soup and Water. I had no desire to, and it seemed really hard, but after a few days, the liquids started going down easier.

I hope your surgeon's office will give you some peace of mind. Keep sipping those liquids and feel better soon!!

I am having the same problem as you. I could not even get down my antibiotics mixed with Water. So yesterday I took a kids medicine dispenser and started taking 1 teaspoon of Water mixed with apple juice every 15 minutes. From 4 pm to 1 am last night I got up and used the medicine dispenser. After the first hour I started doing 2 teaspoons full and by about 10 pm I was doing 3 teaspoons full. Sometime after 8 pm I did the water with apple juice and then switched to broth the next 15 minutes.

It was a lot of work but it made all the difference. Today I still can not get down more than 4 teaspoons full at a time but it is so much better. My head does not hurt any more and it was enough Fluid that I am not dehydrated and I feel so much better.

I hope you feel better and I did have the swelling problem before so my band had to be opened up. If it was a real bad problem you would know. It sounds like you are getting some down so I think you just need to make it less.

Now I would check with my doctor and only use the information I give you as a suggestion. I say this because if I don't I know someone will jump on my case.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. Let us know how it goes.

Remember that you are healing. I was on full liquids for two solid weeks after my band was put in. Also remember that it takes some time to get the gas out of your system, not to mention the anasthesia, antibiotics and everything else that goes with major surgery. And it was major surgery. As for the quick weight loss in the first four days? That's not so unusual post-op. Your on liquids. You will see your greatest weight loss in the first few months and then it will taper down to about 1-2 pounds a week once your on solid foods. You'll get there. Be calm and let your doctor know about your concerns, he'll get you through them.

Thanks for all of your answers and support! I just went to the doctors and had 4cc's removed... Boy! I feel 100 times better!

:lol: thanks again!

Thanks for all of your answers and support! I just went to the doctors and had 4cc's removed... Boy! I feel 100 times better!

:thumbup: thanks again!

Glad you're feeling better! :lol: