Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 09 Bandsters - Dr. Kim in Colleyville

I'm scheduled for banding March 30th in Dallas with Dr. David Kim. I would really like a banding buddy or someone who has already been through this with Dr. Kim. Anyone out there?

Hello,

I have been banded since March 08. I used Dr. Marsden in Bedford. Feel free to ask me anything. I know you are nervous.

PAC, how'd you banding go? I'm scheduled for surgery on 04/14/09 w/ Dr. Kim. Would love to hear how your surgery went and how you're doing.

My surgery was last Monday the 30th with Dr. Kim and he did an awesome job. I truly believe the difference between the people who have problems and the people who do well is the doctor, his instructions and following his instructions completely. The most uncomfortable time was in recovery when I was coming to, but that was brief and everyone was so efficient and kind. I have stayed on my liquid pain med all week and am glad I have because it helps. I almost over did it on Thursday but by Thursday night I realized you can't rush the time you need to fully recover. I get up and walk around alot and still have a lot of bloating and gas pressure but I now intend to give it another full week of pampering myself and following all the instructions and advice to a T. Dr. Kim is top notch and really knows what he is doing and is very supportive. I get to start my pureed foods tomorrow for 3 weeks so I am looking forward to that! I'd love to hear how the rest of you are doing. I'll be checking my emails more now that the first week of recovery is over.

Pac, glad you're doing so well. I'm only taking off work a week. Do you think you could've returned to work if you had to after a week?

Hi Carbgrl,

I am SO GLAD I did not have to go work the 2nd week. I know people who had to but wish they didn't because it is still a difficult week with trying to not to aggravate my port and keep pain to a minimum. I have actually wrapped a soft cloth and an ace bandage around my belly to give my port the extra support it seems to need to not hurt and pull so much. It actually works for me and I wish I had done it last week. My personal opinion is that if you can take the extra week off....do it. You won't regret the extra time. If you can't, then I'm sure you will get through it but it may be a lot rougher. My doctor said no driving for 2 weeks and I understand that now. Let me know how you are doing. I wish I knew how we could email directly!

Hi PAC,

I'm scheduled April 4th for lap band with Dr Kim. I start my liquids on Monday. Going for pre-op on Monday also.

Txquiltlady,

Let me know how your surgery went?

Hi JWood1967

I hope your surgery went really good for you on the 4th. You are probably pretty sore right now. I had mine on the 30th at Forest Park Medical Center with Dr. Kim and he did a great job. I'm just a few days ahead of you so if you want to stay in contact, I will be happy to. My best advise right now is TOTALLY take care of yourself, take it easy, walk around every hour, sip things slowly, take deep breaths and hold some kind of compress against your port site when moving to help it from pulling and hurting so much. Hope to hear back when you feel like checking your emails!

Dr. Kim did my and my husband's surgery on 03/24/09. I truly felt at ease with Dr. Kim. He made us feel totally comfortable. The surgery

I was confused bc we were told we would be on liquid only for one week, puree for the next and then we can go on to solids. The book they give you at the university - obviously says something else. We actually have our full appetites back and we can eat solids with no problem. It doesn't get stuck and we don't get full like we did the first week. I was really concerned and talked to Pam and she said that the swelling in our stomachs had to have gone down and it was perfectly normal. But I'm scared to gain back weight that I lost during the liquid only time. :thumbdown:

I have my post - op tomorrow and we'll see how we're progressing....

Hi Goyachula,

Dr. Kim had me on 2 weeks of liquids pryor to my surgery on the 30th, then one week of liquids post surgery. This week I started on pureed foods for 3 weeks. My follow up visit is this Friday. I think the healing and swelling has a lot to do with the lower appetitie at first. Since it takes 6 weeks to heal, we probably just have to eat sensibly and small quantities even with the appetite returning until they do a fill at 6 weeks. It will be interesting to know how your visit with Dr. Kim goes. Please keep us posted!

I had my post op yesterday. Everything went well. It was with Pam. She briefly looked at my incisions - everything's healing great - her words not mine. lol. We told her about our concern about the appetite- and she said it was normal.

She went over what exactly was done during the surgery. for example, Dr. Kim did the hernia repair and the liver biopsy. She also told us what kind of lap band we got. I got the realize band. She gave us restaurant cards and we went on our merry way.

So everything went well. I got my first fill scheduled for 05/08/09. I'm soooo looking forward to that! :sad:)

Hey Pac,

I sent you a private msg on here w/ my email. I'm scheduled at Forest Park on Tues 04/14/09. Hope you're doing well. Email me when you get a chance.

Judi

Hello Everypne-

I am scheduled with Dr. Kim on May 4th at Wise Regional in Decatur. I would love to stay updated on how you all are doing and what to expect. At the university class on Monday, they told us to the liquid diet for two weeks and then pureed food for two weeks. I don't know how I can survive that if I am not feeling any restriction before my first fill. I just started the 5 shakes a day on Monday and I am still struggling. I do not have much energy. How was that for you all? Did you start to feel better after a few days? Good luck to you all!

Welcome Skinnybyrd!

The way I handled the shakes was to make them in the blender with 1 cup ice Water and almost a cup of chopped ice. It was filling that way. I was told I could drink 1 cup of any juice around one hour after I drank my shake to keep my blood sugar from dropping too low. I would drink diet green tea, chicken broth, and sugar-free popsicles ever y chance I could to keep my stomach feeling fuller. The biggest help was I had to totally psych myself up that I couldn't have food and didn't want it. I wouldn't dwell on food I saw on television. The mind set was huge for me to go through it. I'm still using that to help me not crave things I don't need.

I hope this helps a little. The time goes by pretty fast when you don't let yourself dwell on food. I hope this helps and you will get other replies also.