Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

feeling like a failure

SO here I go. My story is long and complicated but I will try to condense my story. I had my lap band done on 12/5/06, when I first started I weighed 316 lbs. My first year I lost 100 lbs., then in 11/07 my band slipped and I became totally obstructed. My band was removed and I had to wait 2 months to have my band replaced. During that 2 months I did gain back about 30 pounds. Since my band replaced instead of losing I am gaining weight. I feel like such a failure, it seem that I never feel full. My doctor keeps telling me that I need to just eat a half a cup and to just walk away, but I am really hungry.I need to also mention that my first band was a 10 and I now have an AP Large band. My doctor keeps telling me that the band is the same, but it just doesn.t feel like it. The first year I lost weight almost effortlessly. But now it is a real struggle and I really need advice or help. When I stepped on the scale this moring it said that I weighed 256 lbs. So now I am really stressing. Has anyone else had their band removed or replaced and experienced this. Any information or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Shelly - hang in there, I am so sorry you have gone through such difficulty.

I couldn't agree more with Jack. That concept was my biggest downfall even before banding - I was never really one to gorge and eat a table full of food - i would continue to eat someting else when I was no longer full.

It's still a mental fight as to why I am about to put food into my mouth.

Hang in there!

Jack, I loved that response. I am going to try to take that to heart.

I guess i never really thought of it like that. I have been so used to feeling stuffed that I forgot to pay attention to just not feeling hungry. I will try to pay atttention to just killing the hunger pangs.

You didn't say how much saline is in your band. I suppose it's like starting all over again and because you have been through this before, you know how frustrating it is to wait for the right restriction. Because you have lost 100lbs before, you know this band does work. Don't give up, hang in there. I lost 0lbs between surgery and my fourth fill. I also wasn't making the right food choices. But after my fourth fill which took me to 7.5cc in a 10cc band, I am now losing steadily. Never give up, never, never, never.

Keep us posted on your progress.

You didn't say how much saline is in your band. I suppose it's like starting all over again and because you have been through this before, you know how frustrating it is to wait for the right restriction. Because you have lost 100lbs before, you know this band does work. Don't give up, hang in there. I lost 0lbs between surgery and my fourth fill. I also wasn't making the right food choices. But after my fourth fill which took me to 7.5cc in a 10cc band, I am now losing steadily. Never give up, never, never, never.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Yes this is what I was thinking. I'm sure you'll have to work your way up to the restriction you once had. Just hang in there. You've roped this bull before and you can do it again.

I have 8.0 cc in my band and my doctor said that I am in the green zone. But it just does'nt feel like it. I know that my food choices has a lot to do with it. But with the first band I didnot eat perfect and so that is why this is frustrating.

I have 8.0 cc in my band and my doctor said that I am in the green zone. But it just does'nt feel like it. I know that my food choices has a lot to do with it. But with the first band I didnot eat perfect and so that is why this is frustrating.

Hi Shelly - I am not banded but waiting to book for Sleeve in awhile is the plan. I have a huge appetite (or so I think) but whether banded, sleeve or just doing it on your own I think the best way is to eat mini meals and walk away. It takes awhile for our body to know it's not hungry anymore and I know we all know this but when it tastes good it's hard to stop. That is why these options are said to be tools to help and we still have to learn to change out thought process. I am looking forward to surgury so I am not as knowledgeable as others here but in the end that is what we have to do is learn to stop - try to eat 1/2 - 1 cup like some say and walk away and if you are truly still hungry do the same in an hour or 2 and so on. Of course I realise the band being at the right fill is important but worth a try. This is what I should be aiming at myself right now also but lack control which is why I want this also. I know I have to change my thoughts on food for sure - it's nutrition not food :)) We should make all the fast food joints pay for our surgury! :) Good luck and NEVER feel like a failure - just keep trying things to figure out what works for you! Good luck.