Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I am exactly 2 weeks post op...

Last night I went to visit my mom and she made brussel sprouts (which i'd never had before...) she knew I was on mushies and said I could eat these since I can eat mashed potatoes because they mashed easily with a fork. So I mashed one and noticed the outside leaves weren't mashing but the inside was. I had a bite of the inside, which truly was mashed up, and felt like it just didn't go down right. I of course didn't eat the rest of it. I went home, waited a half hour and began drinking some propel but it still felt weird, like there was something there. I drank a whole bottle of propel before going to bed. When I woke up, it still felt like there was something there. Even drinking this morning, it just feels like there's a small blockage, even though I do feel the Water going down to my larger stomach. This afternoon I called NYU and told them about the situation and Tammy, the girl who answered the phone, said that a leaf is probably still there because it didn't get mashed up (and also told me I should not have eaten that...) and to just keep myself on liquids until it goes down. She didn't seem oh-so-concerned, but I really am so nervous now. Just having the slipped band before i know what it feels like and this almost feels similar.

I am so scared now.

Has anyone else had something kind of stick there for a day or so but then it passed?? I haven't thrown up or anything so i am hoping that maybe i'm just a little swollen still and that as the swelling goes down it will pass through.

Also, I just feel like I ahve to say this. I have never cheated. I am so strict with myself about this whole post-op diet because i am petrified I would do something wrong. I wouldn't have eaten a brussel sprout if I was going to cheat, you know? I didn't think I was doing anything wrong! It mashed with a fork so i thought it would be acceptable :scared2: Please tell me this has happened to someone else and turned out okay...

That didn't happen to me but I will say odds are if your band slipped over this you'd know it (it would HURT, not feel like "something there") AND...the big thing about eating post op is making your stomach churn to digest food and that doesn't seem to be an issue in your case.

Trust Tammy...believe me if she thought you'd done damage she'd have told you. Just chill out and chalk it up to experience. If it doesn't go away by Monday, call your doc back. As long as Water goes down you're ok; and it's possible you're just irritated(and mentally very sensitive because you feel badly and are worried about it!)

Just hang in there! You're doing fine!

I have read here that some people chew papaya enzyme when they have something that will not go down. I have never tried it so I don't know and you might check with your doc to see if its okay to take one. Maybe someone here has more information about papaya enzyme and they can chime in.

How are you feeling today, Ebar? It sounds like it just kind of got hung up a bit, and I was wondering how you feel now. Did everything resolve itself?

Thank you for your concern :thumbup:

I think I am feeling better today. By last night I think I was just panicking which was making it worse. I called the office around 4:30 to speak with a nurse and they were closed so I paged the on-call doctor... I ended up speaking with one of the nurses who works in the office and he said it sounds like it was just probably too soon for me to move to mushies...not my fault, but maybe because of the scar tissue they had to go through with the revision surgery, that I just needed some extra time to heal. He said it sounded like I irritated it and it was just swollen. The fact that Water was going down was good he said. He told me to go on liquids for the weekend and to go into the office if I wasn't feeling better on Monday.

I said I think I feel better because now I am not sure! it's definitely not as uncomfortable going down, which is good, but then again I still feel like it's taking quite a long time for the water to pass through...and I hear it when it goes through. I think that might still be the swelling he was talking about...so I am on tea, broth, and Vitamin water until further notice but that's totally fine with me as long as I feel better soon.

Thanks for all of your replies guys :w00t: