Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble foods

Is anyone having trouble with certain foods? I have a real hard time with rice and bread. I get a horrible stuck feeling and need to get it up and out before I can feel better. It's so weird. At church the other day we were having a salad pot luck and it happened there too. :thumbup:

Yes, bread is common problem with bandsters. That is because it tends to swell up in your stomach. I can eat it but I have to take the smallest bites and turn it to a slimy mush in my mouth and somehow that takes away from the pleasure of eating it. Depending on how restricted I am at the time I can handle flatbread, wraps or tortillas pretty well. I haven't tried rice yet. I also have had problems with fibrous veggies, I can't eat the stems on broccoli and I had a terrible experience with brussel sprouts. Apple skins and dried apricots are a no-no as well.

I can eat very loose or crumbly breads in small amounts, but sandwich breads, rolls, hoagies, and other dense breads are mission impossible. Like you, I'll BP.

Haven't had the courage to try rice, not even brown rice or wild rice. I'm scared of what might happen, frankly.

Since my fill, I also can't tolerate carbonated beverages unless the fizz is nearly gone. Yesterday while out shopping, I was desperately thirsty enough to take a swig of my roomie's soda and paid for it in pain for quite awhile. Next time, I'll go thirsty.

I had a friend that said he got bread caught and the experience was awful. That totally turned me off from eating bread. I did however, tried a small bite of flat bread which I made sure was moisten with my Salad Dressing. I have no problem with rice at all; although I have another friend that nearly choked on rice. With anything you eat just chew chew chew!!!

I guess I'm the odd one out. I can eat anything! I was thinking after my first fill that it might change but nope. I can still eat just about anything as long as I take my time. I'm at 4.5 cc in a 10 cc band. We'll see if this changes the further along we get.

There are also foods I could eat all day and never fill up on. salad and many vegetables don't hang around and I seem to be able to eat a lot of them.

The only thing that really gave me any trouble was lo mein noodles. Rice, Pasta, Tortillas, and fruit skins have not been a problem. I did get a fill on 3/13, so I am retrying everything. But so far so good.

I haven't really tried alot of bread other than flat breads.

I've been really lucky that I can eat anything from before including untoasted bread and fried rice (haven't tried steamed rice yet). Moisture content is very important. If it's too dry it comes back up and it hurts:thumbdown: These are what triggered by few PB's so far:

1. Bread or toast if it's too dry. Now, I use cholesterol-control marg. that's only 45 calories per tbsp. Tastes fine and keeps toast from getting stuck. Use lots of mustard on sandwiches so never had a problem with untoasted bread before.

2. Breaded chicken/red meat is a no-no. Stays down fine if I prepare chicken or red meat any other way.

3. Pastry. It was a custard tart and it was too dry. Serves me right. I shouldn't have been eating it.

I've been really lucky that I can eat anything from before including untoasted bread and fried rice (haven't tried steamed rice yet). Moisture content is very important. If it's too dry it comes back up and it hurts:thumbdown: <snip>

I'll add any sort of dry meat. If it's dry and/or cold, it's going to come back up, and I don't care how tiny a bit I cut, or how long I chew.

Lena

I'm one of the lucky ones - so far. I have not had trouble with any food I have eaten, and I have not yet PB'd. But I've only had one fill. Everything could change in the coming months. I have had a couple of "stuck" moments two or three bites in to a meal. So I've just stopped and waited for a moment before continuing and then been fine. I think I'm just eating too fast when I get started and have to be reminded to slow down.

I haven't tried steak yet. The only thing I haven't been able to tolerate is bread so far. I can eat rice no problem. I even went out for sushi last night and had no problem with the sticky rice.

My biggest PB moments come from the first bite syndrome...when I forget and swallow too large of a bite too fast.

It is weird how some days I can feel restriction and feel everything as it goes down, and yet some days I feel nothing and can eat much more.

I don't know if this really fits on this thread. It isn't a specific food that I am having trouble with, it is the not drinking before, with, or immediately after a meal. I am just having such a HARD time doing that. Occasionally I'll completely forget and take a big swig of Water between bites and it doesn't feel too good. But I am SO thirsty when I eat. Anyone else having this problem? Any tips?

Edited by picklehead
spelling error

I don't know if this really fits on this thread. It isn't a specific food that I am having trouble with, it is the not drinking before, with or immediately after a meal. I am just having such a HARD time doing that. Occasionally I'll completely forget and take a big swig of Water between bites and it doesn't feel to good. But I am SO thirsty when I eat. Anyone else having this problem? Any tips?

I don't know about the others, but I have a similar difficulty. I've had to leave my drink in the kitchen and have my DH police me. We set a timer as soon as I put my fork down and say I'm done. When the timer goes off, I race for that drink. LOL!

I do the timer thing too Lena. It is very helpful. I also use it before a meal. As soon as I start to feel hungry, I'll take the last sip and then set my cell phone alarm for 30 minutes. When it goes off, I'm real hungry and my battle then is eating slowly!

I don't know if this really fits on this thread. It isn't a specific food that I am having trouble with, it is the not drinking before, with, or immediately after a meal. I am just having such a HARD time doing that. Occasionally I'll completely forget and take a big swig of Water between bites and it doesn't feel too good. But I am SO thirsty when I eat. Anyone else having this problem? Any tips?

Unless you are eating spicy or salty foods or are not keeping hydrated between meals, it it probably has more to do with habit than being thirsty. You should not have a drink in front of you during a meal or you will grab it out of habit. I drink before my meals and wait 30 minutes after a meal to have another drink. But yes, it was very difficult in the beginning; but really stick with it for a week or so and it will get easier and eventually become habit. At 10 months I don't even think about a drink and no longer need to watch the time, I can tell when my 30 minutes have passed.