Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

JUNE 2009 Lap Band Surgery

OMG!! I now know what restriction feels like (ouch!!). I have to get used to not inhaling my food!! I am really glad to finally have this feeling though.

Here's to a new me!!

OMG!! I now know what restriction feels like (ouch!!). I have to get used to not inhaling my food!! I am really glad to finally have this feeling though.

Here's to a new me!!

I am there with ya!! OUCH!!! A few days ago I asked how long till I get it? only one person commented but it was what I needed. I'll see if I can copy and paste it on here.

icon5.gifGetting a grip of the rules?

My question is for people who have been at their 'sweet spot' for a while.

How long did it take for you to get a grip on things??

Like actually taking smaller bites w/o thinking about it? And chewing enuf w/o thinking about it? Even taking sips instead of gulps? Just generally working WITH the band instead of testing it?

I am now 3 months out, just had my 5th fill and hoping and praying that I am finally there (but still wary of it). I have had 3 months of 'normalcy' like before my Gizmo. Yes at every meal and at every drink of Water I get the pain in my chest that says I swallowed too much. And I'm thinking that at some point my head will tell me I don't want to eat so I wont feel the pain, or that my brain will tell my mouth to do what it's suppose to do BEFORE I wait for the pain to tell me.

So, I'm just wondering how long it took people to GET A GRIP??

(If you were perfect from the beginning--I am SO happy for you, tongue.gif but I want to hear from people who have struggled like me.) :blink:

post_old.gif 09-11-2009, 12:54 AM #2

re: Getting a grip of the rules?

For me the good behaviour came quickly, but for it to become automatic? I think at least a year. It was at about 15 months that I realised I was finally not serving myself four times too much food at every meal!

There's a bit of "relearning" with every fill, but I found by about a year I could really say my eating habits had changed.

I found the same with exercise - it took about 9 to 12 months for running to be somethign that is just a part of my day and not a 'chore'. My body had adapted, it no longer tired me, it no longer felt "hard" but I've continued to have the good effects of fitness and weight control with what feels quite natural and easy.

but this "it takes six weeks to form a habit" - what a load of bollocks. Honestly. Nobody loves runniing and is good at it and finds it a natural thing to do in six short weeks. Nor does anybody change their eating habits that quickly.

Jacqui

Here's to a new me!!

Hooray!

icon5.gifGetting a grip of the rules?

My question is for people who have been at their 'sweet spot' for a while.

How long did it take for you to get a grip on things??

Like actually taking smaller bites w/o thinking about it? And chewing enuf w/o thinking about it? Even taking sips instead of gulps? Just generally working WITH the band instead of testing it?

I am now 3 months out, just had my 5th fill and hoping and praying that I am finally there (but still wary of it). I have had 3 months of 'normalcy' like before my Gizmo. Yes at every meal and at every drink of Water I get the pain in my chest that says I swallowed too much. And I'm thinking that at some point my head will tell me I don't want to eat so I wont feel the pain, or that my brain will tell my mouth to do what it's suppose to do BEFORE I wait for the pain to tell me.

So, I'm just wondering how long it took people to GET A GRIP??

(If you were perfect from the beginning--I am SO happy for you, tongue.gif but I want to hear from people who have struggled like me.) :blink:

post_old.gif 09-11-2009, 12:54 AM #2

re: Getting a grip of the rules?

For me the good behaviour came quickly, but for it to become automatic? I think at least a year. It was at about 15 months that I realised I was finally not serving myself four times too much food at every meal!

There's a bit of "relearning" with every fill, but I found by about a year I could really say my eating habits had changed.

I found the same with exercise - it took about 9 to 12 months for running to be somethign that is just a part of my day and not a 'chore'. My body had adapted, it no longer tired me, it no longer felt "hard" but I've continued to have the good effects of fitness and weight control with what feels quite natural and easy.

but this "it takes six weeks to form a habit" - what a load of bollocks. Honestly. Nobody loves runniing and is good at it and finds it a natural thing to do in six short weeks. Nor does anybody change their eating habits that quickly.

Jacqui

I agree about the 6 week thing. I'm hoping to have reached my 70 lbs off by my birthday, Dec. 30. I'll have lost it all in only 7 months. That's not long enough to have changed my lifestyle. I'm planning on keeping a tight fill and continuing to get my support on lapbandtalk.

My band has loosened since my very effective 2nd fill because I've lost 7 lbs since then. That means the fat pad under the band is shrinking so the band gets looses. I like the tight restriction because it has really helped me with the bad habits, but without the pain, I'm already swallowing bigger amounts.

I'll make sure I get a fill fairly soon.

Since we've all started at about the same time with our journey I don't if anyone can relate to what I am saying. My best friend of 13yrs. as not been very supportive or interested in my "Band" journey. When I told her I was getting it done she said "why are you doning that?" and from that time on she doesn't congratulate me on my successes, shrinking dress sizes, or my continued exercising. What is a girl to do ?? I don't think she is jealous because that is an ugly word, but I thought at the very least my journey would encourage her to lose weight with me. Maybe she feels like "Im not doing it on my own" or " I am taking the easy way out" you know how people think. I askes her about it early on when I first got my band and she said "well what do you want me to say" I don't people often say after you lose weight you change I am thinking the people around you change. Just wanted to share that since it has been on my mind.

Since we've all started at about the same time with our journey I don't if anyone can relate to what I am saying. My best friend of 13yrs. as not been very supportive or interested in my "Band" journey. When I told her I was getting it done she said "why are you doning that?" and from that time on she doesn't congratulate me on my successes, shrinking dress sizes, or my continued exercising. What is a girl to do ?? I don't think she is jealous because that is an ugly word, but I thought at the very least my journey would encourage her to lose weight with me. Maybe she feels like "Im not doing it on my own" or " I am taking the easy way out" you know how people think. I askes her about it early on when I first got my band and she said "well what do you want me to say" I don't people often say after you lose weight you change I am thinking the people around you change. Just wanted to share that since it has been on my mind.

Have you talked to her about this?? My bff, I thought, was getting jealous and we talked and also I told her my struggles and she has been much better. But also I'm not losing as fast as we thought I would so that has helped (her not me) a little.

Hello Group.....I had my 3rd fill yesterday and its hard to tell if this will be the "one" for me.....I have a 14cc band and now have 8.5 ccs....I've done pretty well, Im down 60lbs since the beginning of my journey and I have at least 70 more lbs to go to reach my first goal....I can feel a small amount of restriction now eventhough Im still on clear liquids....I hope this fill lasts a lot longer than the last.....good luck to all and keep on with the good fight!

If your relationship was based around food and being fat together then she's lost her reason for being your friend. If it was based on a lot more than that she'll get over it.

Have a great evening.

If your relationship was based around food and being fat together then she's lost her reason for being your friend. If it was based on a lot more than that she'll get over it.

Have a great evening.

Amen to that!! I agree with you 100%!!

'IF'...

Spud and Padanelle,

I got motivated! It started when I spotted the August 2009 challenge thread and I joined in. I set myself a goal of 50 miles for the month which I started logging from about August 5, I passed it last Thursday with time to go. Had my band fill on Thursday pm and haven't 'moved' since apart from pottering about shopping and at home. My personal challenge for September will be 60 miles.

Have a good day :)

I'm patting myself on the back. Although my goal for the month is low (20 miles), it might as well be 50. But yesterday I walked 2 miles! That might not seem like a lot to most of you walkers, but it was big for me. Those last 2 blocks were a killer. I think I need to get some good walking shoes. I was wearing high heeled platform shoes. I used to have a great pair of Nikes, but the dog got to them. Total 7.5 miles so far this month.

18_3_110.gif I'd better step it up!

[/url]

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZSYYYYYYYYUS

Platform shoes! LOL. I love good walking shoes. I walk 2-3 mi/day at least 5 days a week. Its the only exercise I can really do. Walk outside as much as possible to enjoy the view, fresh air and the sunshine when available. I do have a treadmill I picked up at a garage sale for $35 that I use when the weather gets bad. I can also go to the community center and walk for free on their walking track.

So yestewrday I met a friend for Breakfast. I am not a morning person, so got out what I planned to wear the night before - something I had in the closet for over a year with the price tag still on it that was too tight when I bought it. When I went put it on, the skirt practically fell off! What a great feeling!

I am slowly progressing on my September mile challenge, and have reached the half-way point - 10 miles. Need to do a mile a day average to meet my goal. I can do it!

So yestewrday I met a friend for breakfast. I am not a morning person, so got out what I planned to wear the night before - something I had in the closet for over a year with the price tag still on it that was too tight when I bought it. When I went put it on, the skirt practically fell off! What a great feeling!

I am slowly progressing on my September mile challenge, and have reached the half-way point - 10 miles. Need to do a mile a day average to meet my goal. I can do it!

What a fantastic feeling it is! So did you pin the skirt or choose something else? :biggrin: Hey did you get a step counter, I bet you're doing more miles than you realise and it all counts.

So yestewrday I met a friend for breakfast. I am not a morning person, so got out what I planned to wear the night before - something I had in the closet for over a year with the price tag still on it that was too tight when I bought it. When I went put it on, the skirt practically fell off! What a great feeling!

YESSS!!! You can do it and you will do it !! Never give up. YEAHHH YOU GO GIRL !!

What a fantastic feeling it is! So did you pin the skirt or choose something else? :biggrin: Hey did you get a step counter, I bet you're doing more miles than you realise and it all counts.

Actually, I tried on 2 more new outfits, and the same thing happened. Some large person at the Salvation Army will have new outfits. Today I'm going to go through the closets to see what else may be too big.

I have a step counter, but am not clear on how it works. I may get it out and try it again.