Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

JUNE 2009 Lap Band Surgery

The only diet I can lose weight on is a modified Atkins diet. So about the same thing. But for me its so hard to do for life--I like bread and baking. How I modified it was ANY meat, fish, eggs, chez, lunch meat, etc. was free. Most veggies were free (not pees, corn, and potatoes). And then anything under 5 carbs was free for all with in reason (even Dibs ice cream or cheasecake!!). It worked for me but havin issues doing it again. Good Luck!

modified Atkins works best for me, too. I'm probably pretty insulin resistant, in fact I am borderline diabetic. But it does get boring, so I'll have a day or two where I'll allow myself a treat.

I need another fill. I tested how much meat I could eat before feeling restriction. I did it on purpose because denser Protein is supposed to sit in your pouch longer. Well, I had a half pound hamburger and felt no restriction. I had hoped to feel more after my first fill. So Monday I'll call the nutritionist and get in for another fill. Hopefully it won't take 4 weeks this time. I'd like to get it in next week before school starts. I feel like I'm basically dieting and not able to rely on my band at all.

Ya, I tell everyone I am on forced Atkins!! It's the only kind of food that doesn't give me the BLUES! haha If I stick to meat, tuna, cheese and eggs, I feel fine...I do get some high Fiber crackers and a few (tablespoon) of potatoes, but for the most part it is an Atkins based diet that I stick too... I had my 2nd fill Aug 28th, and I am down 11.50 pounds, so it's working for me..Almost to my wedding GOAL!

Everyone,

This morning I was down 2 pounds which puts me half way to goal. Whoo hoo. I also have dropped 3 and 1/2 meds and 2 supplements. Hooray for me!

Cheri

I'm dealing with Constipation. Have been since my surgery and I'm sick of it. I'm trying to add some fiber but not stretch my tummy with expanding fiber that might cause me to bp the way the pita bread did. I called my most recent blog: Getting Rid of the Crap. You can read it at IF YOUR STOMACH OFFENDS YOU, TIE IT OFF

I know this is kinda late but a natural way to "loosen" stuff up is to eat a few bananas and/or drink a few glasses of fruit juice. It may be just what you need to get it goin' through! Good luck! :rolleyes:

My port is NOT flipped after all!! :rolleyes: I had been waiting for the insurance company to approve a "port revision" surgery after being told by one of my doctors that my port was flipped. After almost 2 weeks one of the girls in the office told me that the other surgeon in the office would like to see me and told me that he was confident that he would be able to get to my port. I decided to go ahead and let him try... HE GOT IT ON THE FIRST TRY!!! :unsure: I don't know why the other surgeon had so much trouble.

Anyways, I now have 3cc's in my band and I do feel a little more restriction. I go back in 2 weeks for another fill.

I am so happy that I don't have to have another surgery!!! Thank you to my new doctor!!!

Oh that is soooooooooooo exciting!!!! :glare: I'm so happy for you! Catastrophe avoided! yay! :tt2:

Everyone,

This morning I was down 2 pounds which puts me half way to goal. Whoo hoo. I also have dropped 3 and 1/2 meds and 2 supplements. Hooray for me!

Cheri

Hell yeah! So proud that you get to come off meds, this is why we do this! :rolleyes:

Wanted to post an update real quick. I haven't been on here much b/c I have found a ton of answers and support through the blogspot community, awesome ladies!!!

I was stuck at 260 lbs for probably 6 wks, it was hard mentally and emotionally. I finally started losing again 8-16 THANK GOD! I am down to 255 which much excitement!

My fill seems bigger than other people's, which is cool, I just don't know how normal it is. First fill was 4cc and 2nd fill was 3cc so I'm at 7cc in a 11cc realize band. I don't know about restriction yet b/c this am is my first time on solids since my 2nd fill. I just had eggs and they say if you have "heartburn" you are full and it's wanting to come up. Well I have hb and I never do so I'm guessing 3 eggs filled me up. lunch is a BBQ at my moms for her bday and I'm planning on eating a soy burger pattie and some veggies so that should give me a good idea on my restriction!

I miss you ladies, hope all is well and everyone is doing good. Seeing all your posts brings me back to reality when I'm being too hard on myself.

I went in for my second fill today. My first fill did virtually nothing and an appointment was made for 5 weeks later (they wanted me to come back in 3 weeks but the doctor was booked). My weight went up and down and I was as hungry as I ever was before the surgery. I was getting frustrated but I was able to find several threads where many people said they didn’t have restriction after their first fill, so obviously I had been highly anticipating today’s fill.

During my first visit the doctor could not find my port. It was tough because of my BMI. He found it under fluoro (which I loved because the screen was turned where I could see it being done) and I felt great seeing my band and port and knowing that it was attached right and not flipped over, etc.

When I went in today Dr. Custer started feeling around and found it with his fingers!!! I didn’t believe him because he thought he had found it last time before he had to put me under flouro (after poking and prodding!). I was reluctant because of how bad it was having him poking me several times last time (who knows what he thought he felt) and the security and precise nature of having it done under fluoro, but I told him he might as well try and he hit it! Of course the whole needle disappeared into my upper abdomen! I have noticed in many forums people talking about getting a “2.8cc” fill, for example, making it sound so exact….my doctor was like “It’s about 3” and I know what he means by “about” because there was air in the syringe with the saline and since I was standing there and of course due to the air, gravity pulled the saline to the bottom of the syringe and it was hard to know how much he really gave me. When he tried to pull out the earlier Fluid to make sure he was in the port it came out very slowly and he wasn’t patient enough to wait to pull it all out, so if he is in a hurry next time as well then I may never know exactly how many CCs I have, but it doesn’t really matter to me, as long as it works! I just wanted to share that I don’t know how people can be so exact with their numbers. Maybe their doctors are more meticulous than mine. Dr. Custer doesn’t seem to care that much about the exact CCs, as long as when I swallow the Water it goes through well without giving me any problems.

The surgical nurse told me after the doctor left the room that even with the VG band it seemed like I was getting pretty aggressive fills and many of his patients (especially men for some reason) don’t tolerate such large fills like I have gotten, although my band didn’t have fluid in it to begin with. They also told me that people with the VG usually don’t get more than 10ccs total and now I am at 8. I was told that there is about 13cc of room in the entire band including the tubing and port.

So I guess in a few days when I am back on solids I will see how things go! With all that I have been told and I have read, I hope that I am within a few CCs of my sweet spot!

I was scheduled for my 3rd fill today, but the NP decided not do add any more, since I mentioned I have been PBing a few times recently and he was happy with my weight loss (7lbs since my last visit 4 wks ago). I'm okay with that, but concerned since my next appointment won't be for another 4 weeks. Hope I don't get a bad case of the hungries before then.

I was scheduled for my 3rd fill today, but the NP decided not do add any more, since I mentioned I have been PBing a few times recently and he was happy with my weight loss (7lbs since my last visit 4 wks ago). I'm okay with that, but concerned since my next appointment won't be for another 4 weeks. Hope I don't get a bad case of the hungries before then.

This may be a stupid question, but what is PB stand for?

This may be a stupid question, but what is PB stand for?

Hi Darlene,

PB stands for productive burping. It happens when food gets stuck in the stoma, and then comes up with saliva (aka slime). It very often is accompanied by variying degrees of pain, and be over quickly, or last for what seems like eternity. The longest pain I have experienced so far is 1/2 hr. The pain usually passes after whatever was stuck comes up.

It usually is caused by eating too fast or not chewing thoroughly. It can also be caused by the band being too tight. Mine was caused by my own stupidity. You think I'd learn...

Joan

Hi Darlene,

PB stands for productive burping. It happens when food gets stuck in the stoma, and then comes up with saliva (aka slime). It very often is accompanied by variying degrees of pain, and be over quickly, or last for what seems like eternity. The longest pain I have experienced so far is 1/2 hr. The pain usually passes after whatever was stuck comes up.

It usually is caused by eating too fast or not chewing thoroughly. It can also be caused by the band being too tight. Mine was caused by my own stupidity. You think I'd learn...

Joan

Thanks Joan... I haven't had that happen yet (I don't think). I am definately burping more than I used to (although my husband might disagree..lol), but it is not because something feels stuck. My band currently has about 5cc in it. I go for my next fill in about 3 weeks. I know that I am still eating too fast and not chewing like I probably should be. I am going to have to slow down and chew so that I don't have this happen to me..especially after my next fill.

I wanted an aggressive 2nd fill and I got it. I was tired of hanging on by my fingernails. I'm definitely back on a liquid diet and have to sip very slowly. That should jumpstart some continued weight loss. I plan on trying mushies tomorrow since I have no desire to pb. (I also call that "puke back". I'm back to drink a little, burp a little, drink a little. I'm hoping this fill lasts for some time since I started teaching again today and don't want to take the time to go on the busiest expressway in Chicago (by the circle interchange).

Yesterday one of the girls before me fainted when she got her fill. The needle did it. This Dr. has patients stand up in front of the floroscope. The last Dr. had us lay down.

Hi Ladies, I'm going for my 2nd fill today. 3 weeks from my first which was 4.5, nothing lost and I could still eat a horse! Only waited 2 days since asking for this and it will be fluoro on he incline bed so easy peasy for the doc. Let's hope it's not so easy peasy for me after because so far it's has been a walk in the park and I really need that kick to get me working with this band. Have a great day, keep chewing! :blushing: