Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We Need to Get Ourselves in Check...Me Included!

I've been reading alot (and have posted on the very same topic recently as well) about "us" being very upset at "only" having lost 20 pounds in 2 months, or 40 pounds in 6 months. I just had the realization that I need to check my attitude. Did we get the band for a quick weight loss? No--if we did we would have gone the other route. We all know that the weightloss on the band is slower than the bypass. From what I've read, the weightloss with the bypass within the first year usually compares to the loss with the band over TWO+ years.

If I'm down 16 pounds since November 13 (which, by the way, I am--very disappointing...but "I" could have done better). That's an average of 4 pounds lost per month (without being at my sweet spot) and a potential loss of 48 pounds in a year and 96 pounds in 2 years...that is 2 pounds MORE THAN my goal. How else can you do that? Okay- other than bypass or being on The Biggest Loser--which by the way me and my best friend, LBT member Shaedie, applied for? My reasoning for getting this was #1--it was not cutting anything out, less invasive, shorter surgery, etc. But #2, and just as important to me, was for the slower weight loss and trying to avoid the plastic surgery that often comes with rapid weight loss. I would have GAINED 16 pounds thru the holidays and spent January and 1/2 of February trying to take off the pounds that I put on. Then--I would have fallen right back into old habits after shedding a few pounds ... and still most likely about 10 pounds heavier than the same time last year. Happens every year. This year is different. I have a little help. I have my friend, the band. I chose him because of the assistance he can give me in conquering my food addiction. This is a lifetime plan, not another diet. I think my problem was that I began to believe in the same false expectations that many of my friends and family who don't know any better believe--that this is a quick fix. That you'll "lose a ton of weight in no time" and think that you'll lose only because "there's no way you can eat that much"--all of which I have heard. They don't know about waiting for restriction, bandster hell, and all the other issues. Until I actually had this surgery and have actually experienced it, I too am guilty of having the belief that I would be able to "eat all my favorite foods, just less of it" and still lose weight. Yep--I have been able to do just that...but my slow loss shows it. I am now working together with my band and hopefully my loss at my next dr. visit shows that as well.

We all have lots of reasons for getting the band, but the one thing we all have in common is that we did it for our health.

OK--Now that I got myself in check...bring on the weight loss... :biggrin: This was really a pep talk to myself. But -- I thought someone else might benefit from it.

Crystal

Crystal -

You are so right.

I lost really well on the pre-op diet and the first few months after the surgery. Last month I was beating myself up for only losing 4 lbs in 3 weeks. Only.

When was the last time I lost 4 lbs in 3 weeks before the band? When was the last time I lost 4 lbs period!

We all need to learn to cut ourselves a break and go easier on ourselves. Keep working with it, and it will happen.

You're both so right. I'm also guilty of lying to myself that the band would be a quick fix for me and I just got my band 3 weeks ago! I know crazy:blush:. Thank you for posting your pep talk. I think I'mma have to save this to my computer and read it everytime I get discouraged. And congratulations on your weight loss so far!

Crystal, I too enjoyed your post. I was thinking hard on everything you wrote and realized I have had unrealistic expectations of myself and the band. I feel so much more in touch with the band's reality since reading your post.

Mimi

I really appreciate everyone's responses. I genuinely JUST realized today that my expectations were not in-line with how I KNOW the band is supposed to work and that I needed to really put forth more effort. That I was looking at the band like I didn't know what I was in for. It's more complicated than I thought (but as with many things in life...experience is the only teacher and you will never know until AFTER banding...I read everything and still expected it to be different for me!). I was expecting too much of myself and of the band. And just like with everything else, our expectations have to be attainable or we will ALWAYS be disappointed. Sometimes it just needs to be "broken down" in a way that makes sense. It makes sense to be realistic...and healthy. We are better than we were. We are on a journey that will last a lifetime and not a year. Remember we chose to be the turtle! :biggrin:

You're absolutely right. Thanks for putting things into perspective. We did choose this surgery because we knew it would be healthier for us in the long run. The end result is the same as if you had gastric bypass surgery only we won't have as much saggy skin.

Great post! I think another thing to mention is not to get too hung up comparing yourself to others on here. Sure, it's great to compare notes with those that had the same surgery date as you, but so many get hung up on comparing exact # of pounds lost. Everyone is different, every body type is different. And some have more to lose, less to lose, etc. I say this because it was something I struggled with in the beginning, and still do sometimes. It's hard to see someone with the same surgery date and if they have a much bigger loss than me to feel discouraged. I'm a slow loser too.. averaging 1/2-1 lb/week. But hey, that is still around 52 pounds a year!! Nothing to scoff at! Slow and steady.. this tool is with me for the REST OF MY LIFE.. its NOT a race.

thank you for putting up your post. It does keep things in perspective. This is a lifetime journey. We need to live our lives and not let the fact that we chose to be banded rule us. Any success large or small is a success. We are all on the road to a healthier and longer life.

Thanks so much for the post, it could not have come at a better time! My boss had bypass surgery one week before me and has lost 39lbs. She is complaining about HER slow weight loss and it makes me feel like I'm not losing anything. I literally was about to have a chicken caesar salad (working nights @ a restaurant-not the worst choice of foods) when I went in the bathroom and looked at myself. I LOOK & FEEL GREAT!

I told myself that I don't care what my boss has lost, I'm happy with what I'VE lost. She also started at about 75lbs heavier than me, so what the heck am I complaining about???

I paid the money, I took the risk, I've made the sacrifice and I'm going to CONTINUE to do exactly what I've been doing..it's working!

I do not eat after 6:00pm and I'M NOT doing it tonight! I've lost 22lbs in less than 2 months, and I'm super EXCITED about that.

Thanks for the post and the advice, you couldn't have been more right and at the EXACT right time for me....:thumbup:

See I knew there were lots of us feeling this way. I'm glad I could remind everyone to go easy on yourself--we have already done so well.

Jenn--you are so correct--we need to stop comparing ourselves to each other. Now that I think about it-that was actually a major thing making me feel so inadequate in this journey. Reading everyones losses and feeling like mine were "nothing". So thanks for adding that!

I think I spent so much time prior to surgery reading the PRE-Lap band posts, the Insurance Approval posts, and the complications posts that I didn't think to read the POST-Lap band posts about how people recently banded were dealing...that might be a good post over in the pre-banding area...

After my little pep talk I have walked 30 - 35 minutes every night this week and logged all my foods (while eating the right way) and I'm down 2 pounds this week! Stress can add pounds too, well stress can at least make you hold onto them (did you watch TBL last night...OMG! Mandi worked her butt off and she GAINED a pound). So everyone, relax and allow the band to work with us.

Crystal

Great post! I have also been guilty of saying the same things as everyone else who posted. I compair myself a lot with others and that is my biggest problem. I have decided I am going to stop doing that! I won't say I lost only a pound. I will be happy with each one gone. There's no way I could have lost 45 pounds without the band and kept it off!!!!

OMG........ thank you for writing this. Just what I needed right now. So well put, all of what you wrote.

We all need to check ourselves. I tend to beat myself up from time to time as I plateau.

Just got my 4th fill yesterday and I am praying for some restriction this time. I have to look at the fact that I have lost 32lbs so far without much restriction in 5 months....it is slow and that is difficult sometimes to deal with, but I am further ahead than I was 5 months ago.

Gotta keep up the healthy self talk

Crystal-

Your post was such an inspiration today!

You're 100% right :w00t: I've been banded for 2 months tomorrow and I've lost 23 lbs, and I've been 'beating myself up' for not losing MORE.

That's ridiculous! It's not a quick fix and it does take longer. But you're right, at least I haven't gained!

Hell I have more energy and I'm actually enjoying exercising now!

Thanks for the online 'pep talk'.

Ciao!

<3- Maggie

Great post and its comforting to see that I am not alone I have been really hard on myself for not loosing more. I guess we all need the support that this web sit brings us.