Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*Susan* revision from band to sleeve

Susan: What a pain for you. So sorry. My guess would be that your old time surgeon didn't like you going to Mexico for you last surgery? Whatever the reason, so sorry for the hassle. It's not what you need when you're not feeling well. Wishing you the best!

Ruthi: Congratulations on your upcoming surgery date.

Hi Everyone,

Well, its going to happen, I am getting the sleeve on 5/1 by Dr Aceves. I had the partial gastrectomy/sleeve last month and 6 weeks later I am going for something more permanent. I even think I will go for spinal anethesia just so I dont have to go to sleep. I am sort of scared still. My big mistake was telling my daughter (BIG MISTAKE) I think I scared her really bad when I got so sick with the band removal and emergency surgery. I guess I cant blame her for that and should have kept it to myself. Oh well, this time next week I will be on my way to Mexico. Thanks everyone especially Was a Bubble Butt for all of your words of encouragement. Renee at Dr Aceves is really great also. Wish Me Luck

Ruthi

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That's fantastic!

5/1... won't you be there when OregonDaisy is there? I can't remember exactly what day she's getting sleeved, I think the 29th!

Congrats to both of you!

food intolerances are common with VSG, DS and RnY. Lactose intolerance is the most common. But once your stomach settles down, they tend to go away.

I couldn't drink milk for a while but I can now, for example.

yes, my surgery is the 29th. I leave Mon. for San Diego and will have tests tues. and surgery Wed.

Does that milk intolerance include Protein Drinks made with Water? I am not sure what they put in those mixes/powder.

My friend really likes Renee and has my old surgery date of 5-6. They have talked on the phone nearly every day this past week.

Food intolerances are common with VSG, DS and RnY. Lactose intolerance is the most common. But once your stomach settles down, they tend to go away.

I couldn't drink milk for a while but I can now, for example.

Wow I didn't know this. I thought after surgury you drink Protein drinks which are dairy based? I guess yogurt will not be a soft food either. I need to find out what everyone is eating after surgury?? Any input for me?

Susan - that is terrible for you. I hope it all works out very soon.

Well, I hope my intolerance to milk is short-lived, because I really do love it and would miss it a lot.

Daisy, it is almost time for you!! I am so excited for you. And Ruthi, you are next in line after Daisy. You guys will have a wonderful experience with Dr. Aceves and his staff.

Edited by Oregondaisy

The only thing that bugged me, for sure, was milk. I ate cheese and yogurt like crazy. I could also have milk in things -- baked and cooked.

I did suspect that some of the 100% whey shakes were not helping but I could get them down. I eventually switched to a shake that was a whey/soy mix and that never gives me a tummy ache.

Hi Everyone,

Well, its going to happen, I am getting the sleeve on 5/1 by Dr Aceves. I had the partial gastrectomy/sleeve last month and 6 weeks later I am going for something more permanent. I even think I will go for spinal anethesia just so I dont have to go to sleep. I am sort of scared still. My big mistake was telling my daughter (BIG MISTAKE) I think I scared her really bad when I got so sick with the band removal and emergency surgery. I guess I cant blame her for that and should have kept it to myself. Oh well, this time next week I will be on my way to Mexico. Thanks everyone especially Was a Bubble Butt for all of your words of encouragement. Renee at Dr Aceves is really great also. Wish Me Luck

Ruthi

You'll get general and spinal anesthesia. They have to give you general because of the pressure the CO2 exerts on the diaphragm. The spinal limits the amount of general you get. Best of luck to you.

Susan, I hope you are feeling better!

Hey all, thanks for all the well wishes! It means a lot.

I am ALIVE!! You wouldn't believe how many messages I got from people thinking I had the swine flu. Nope, I do not!!

I have been so miserable, today is the first day I have even been on my laptop in days! I finally made it into a surgeon today. I was quite impressed with him. He spent over an hour with me going over my records from Dr. Aceves, the emergency room and just listening to me. He did a very thorough exam. The ER doctor had determined all my problems were related to the sludge in my gall bladder. The surgeon doesn't think that is it. He said he could just go in, do another surgery and remove my gall bladder, but he doesn't think that would alleviate the pain and other issues I am having. He said based on my symptoms, and his exam, he thinks I may have developed an ulcer. He also felt one of the meds the ER had me on may have actually been making me sicker, so he took me off of it. He had the report on my cat scan, but he wants to view the actual films himself to see if they may have missed something. If nothing shows up there, then he is going to do an endoscopy (I think I got that right) on me. He also gave me a shot and he said I should notice a drastic improvement in my nausea, dizziness and vomiting within 24 hours. Oh my gosh, it has only been eight hours and I am feeling like a human being again. This is the best I have felt in weeks.

I am so happy I went to him. He said before he does anything, he wants to determine exactly what is causing my problems so I don't have to have any unnecessary treatments, surgeries, etc.

It feels so good to feel good again!!! :thumbup::biggrin::tt2::biggrin::D:biggrin:

Oh, and on another note, I received the final pathology report on my liver biopsies today. Unfortunately, they are in Spanish and I can't read a word of it. Gaby is going to have Dr. Campos send me a translated version. I was kind of surprised, they even sent me the specimens! :thumbup:

Wow, day two of feeling good again, this is amazing. I actually felt like exercising today for the first time and it felt so good. I am love, love, loving my sleeve. I have not experienced hunger once and am stuffed after only a few bites of food.

I just had an interesting realization, exactly three years ago today, I was banded. Wow, I thought the band would change my life. I had so many hopes with it. I am sorry it didn't work out, but so happy for people like WasA who pointed me in the right direction, the sleeve. Today was a perfect example. We have a college girl who has been interning with us for three months and her internship is up this week. So, we took her for a "goodbye" lunch. We got to the restaurant and normally my coworkers know to put me on the outside for the inevitable run to the bathroom to choke up my food. There was no issue with that today. I was able to sit there and enjoy my lunch. But, more importantly, I was able to enjoy visiting with my coworkers, chatting, laughing and having a good time without once having to worry about suddenly racing to the ladies room because my lunch was coming up. Wow, what an amazing change in my quality of life this is going to be!!!

Wow, day two of feeling good again, this is amazing. I actually felt like exercising today for the first time and it felt so good. I am love, love, loving my sleeve. I have not experienced hunger once and am stuffed after only a few bites of food.

Awww, Susan... I'm so happy to read this! You get your life back with a sleeve. You can eat and live like a normal person AND lose weight. All the best things rolled into one!

When I talk to a miserable banded person I just don't have the vocabulary to describe the difference in quality of life. You just have to experience it. And that, you are.

It wasn't all that long ago that you had the guts to come out of the banded closet. LOL You told your story, you were brave enough to go get it fixed and now life is good once again.

I'm happy for you.

The fear of surgery, Mexico, Mexican surgeons... it's all worth it now, eh? ;o)