Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regular water vs. crystal light

Anyone have any info on this? The Cyrstal Light tastes better and makes the Water go down better, and the clear water is just, so well, clear water....

Is it bad to drink the Crystal Light?

Listed on my all my info packs as a good thing. The more Fluid (not with meals) the better.

It is what my nutritionist recommends if you get bored with Water. You can do Krystal light, sf koolaid packs etc. I drank the heck out of them preop, but for some reason...they are too much for me postop!

is Crystal Light made with aspertane? I have heard that stuff is really bad for us. I am not as afraid of splenda, but I won't drink/eat anything made with that stuff. I have read a bunch of stuff about it and it's not good for us at all.

I dont think the occasional artificially sweetened drink hurts at all. But would I replace all Water with Crystal Light. No. Tap water is free, it tastes good (well it does in Melbourne, what little of it we have left) or you can have bottled water and I just think you're better to train your taste buds. Why have something that's been tampered with with artificial ingredients if you dont have to?

If you like lemon or lime in Water you might want to try TrueLemon or TrueLime. They're natural flavors - no sugar or artificial sweeteners. And, they're great to use a seasoning on foods.

amy, what do you mean they are too much?

I can't get enough of Crystal Light fruit Punch

Well, I am a recovering sunkist addict (hence the name of my blog:rolleyes:), so when I started doing the SF koolaid packs during pre-op, I used the to replace the sunkist. And it worked really well! I loved the SF packets when I was eating...so I used a lot at mealtime also.

But post-op, I find when I use them...I want to eat something with them. maybe something salty to counteract the sweetness...or perhaps I am just weird. BC they are so sweet to me...they became "too much" for my tastebuds or something. I find it easier to get my Water when its just plain.

Does that help?

Sugar Free Drink Mixes Ocean Spray has some s/f drink mixes and they are really really good!

they do have aspartame. I've had to give up soda, beer-alcohol period. I think I'll have a few.

Crystal Light and other SF beverages are ok to drink, but they will never be as healthy as Water because of the artificial sweeteners. Some people are sensitive to sugar free sweeteners and get headaches or dietary disturbances if you drink too much of them.

Like anything else, I think they are healthy in moderation. I wouldn't substitute them for all Water intake, but an occasional drink or two can be a welcome part of everything day consumption.

I too was a soft drink addict. My drug of choice was Diet Mt Dew. I LOVED it!!!!!! Anyway, I did the same thing preop. I started adding the drink mixes. Now I find that 3 weeks postop that I'm craving more pure Water. So now it is about half/half mix of drink mixes and water. The way I see it is whatever gets you off of soft drinks is a good thing being that we can't have the carbonation. I think eventually that I will be pretty much all pure water.

Crystal light is great but too expensive...I use the wal mart brand which is 1.88 per can verses 4.00 dol a can...and it's just as good...

I really enjoy plain ole Water, especially when I am at work. Usually if I want to spice it up I will squeeze a lemon or lime wedge in it. Sometimes I do find myself wanting something with flavor so instead of adding artificial stuff to water I will add some 100% organic fruit juice. I will mix it about 60% water and 40% juice and it tastes wonderful.