Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

super duper sore 72 hrs post op

Well, I was just banded on 2/19/09, and am almost 72 hrs post op, and am still extremely sore throughout my entire abdominal area. I have never had surgery of any kind before, so the whole experience was completely new to me. I am somewhat surprised at the intensity of the soreness I feel especially when breathing deeply post op. I also have not passed any BM yet, but am passing some gas, and some burping when drinking liquids. Dr. Fox was my surgeon, and I feel I got outstanding care by him and all his staff. I've been reading other posts and hear similar experiences so I guess I'm in the normal range. I was hopeful to make it back to work tomorrow, but am having second thoughts- guess I'll take it day by day.

I was banded on 2/18. I am feeling great. Are you walking enough? Walking helps re-distribute the gas. I haven't had a bm yet either, but I think it's due to the pain meds & the fact that there is no solid food. I don't plan on going back to work until 3/2/09, but my Mom just passed away and I have a lot to do anyway. Make sure you get your liquid in and walk as much as possible. Things will get better. I'm 62 yr old and thought I may have more problems than I am. I'm cutting back on pain meds and having minmal pain. I was able to sleep on my side last night. That was great. Good luck.

I have had 3 c-sections and found getting banded to be worse than I expected. Not as bad as the c-sections and all three were different.

I was still very sore a week later but it does get better. I was able to go back to work 6 days post-op but it was hard. I did not start feeling better for about 2 weeks.

Like you said just take it one day at a time. It will get better.

Well, I have been a model patient not only before surgery, but after as well. I am slowly drinking water/diluted juices, trying not to swallow any air, walking, standing, and trying not to sit for too long. Lying down for long periods (sleep) seems to make my tummy pain worse. I woke up from a nap around 3 pm today with uncontrolled teeth chattering/body shakes, chills. I went to my handy AGB handbook to look up symptoms to be wary of. I took my temp and it was 99.9. My pulse was over 100, and blood pressure was 147/98 despite taking blood pressure med's. The gas/bloating symptoms as well as not excreting as much urine as liquid I was consuming, and no BM for 3 days was scaring me and I thought maybe I was developing an infection. Decided to call Dr Fox. He said that my pulse, temp, and blood pressure if they did not go down soon should prompt me to go to the ER. He said that there they can X-ray my abdomen, and take labs/blood to see if infection is present. In the meantime he said to try a fleet enema, to help jump start bowels, and take more pain med's, and see if that helps. Since then fleet helped, with some bloating and temp, blood pressure, pulse have gone down some, but still not normal. I will keep a close watch and see.

Yes keep a close eye on it. You do not want an infection. The first few days out are scary and tough. If you still do not feel right go to the doctor or ER.

I had surgery a week that it was very cold and I sat up on the recliner the first night. I had the chills every so often that caused my teeth to chatter but I had other complications too. I swelled so much that they had to go back in the next day and unbuckle my band. It all made me wonder if I made the right choice. However, things got better and while I still need to go back and get my band buckled in March I still think I made the right choice.

Hang in their and I hope you feel better. Let us know how it goes.

Yes keep a close eye on it. You do not want an infection. The first few days out are scary and tough. If you still do not feel right go to the doctor or ER.

I had surgery a week that it was very cold and I sat up on the recliner the first night. I had the chills every so often that caused my teeth to chatter but I had other complications too. I swelled so much that they had to go back in the next day and unbuckle my band. It all made me wonder if I made the right choice. However, things got better and while I still need to go back and get my band buckled in March I still think I made the right choice.

Hang in their and I hope you feel better. Let us know how it goes.

How did you know you needed to be unbuckled? I am 24 hours post op and I am in so much pain. I feel like I am bloated and swelling I had shoulder pain allready in pacu. I have a high pain tolerence, I have had 3 c-sections and took maybe one pain pill for each one on the first nights. This pain I'm having is almost untolerable.

How did you know you needed to be unbuckled? I am 24 hours post op and I am in so much pain. I feel like I am bloated and swelling I had shoulder pain allready in pacu. I have a high pain tolerence, I have had 3 c-sections and took maybe one pain pill for each one on the first nights. This pain I'm having is almost untolerable.

Sorry I did not respond sooner. Time Warner Cable had a 3 day outage and I could not get on the internet.

As for the question about "How did I know I needed to be unbuckled?" I was sliming. About 3 hours after I was discharged I started sliming every half hour to 45 minutes. All the spit I had go down my throat got stuck and sat above the band until it was to much and started to block my lungs. All I had to do was open my mouth and burp and it would come right back up.

It was the worse thing in the world. I sat up all night since I felt like I would drown if I lay down. If I took my pain meds they would come right back up.

I agree with you. This surgery was very hard the first few days/week. I still have some swelling and where my port is it is still tender. I go to the chiropractor 3 times a week and yesterday was the first time that I was able to lay on my stomach and not feel like I was laying on a bowling ball. And, my surgery was on 1/15/09.

I hope that by now you are feeling a bit better. Keep your eye on the goal and remember that this too shall pass.