Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I in "bandster hell?"

Hi All,

I am three weeks post-op as of yesterday. I have lost 23 lbs since surgery for a total of 38 including pre-op. My doctor has me on mushies. I have noticed the last few days, I don't feel restriction and I'm starving very soon after eating. My next appointment is 3/2. I think I've read enough posts to understand where I'm at right now but I just need a little encouragement to get me through the next week or so. My doctors guidelines are three, four ounce meals (3oz protien, 1oz carb.) NO Snacks. I'm using Isopure (YUCK!) in between to sustain me, although it isn't working. I'm feeling confident I will stick with it but just need a little support...

Thanks!

Yup, I'm afraid you are smack dab in the middle of "bandster hell", mz. It sucks......but the good news is that it gets easier as you progress to more substantial food. It generally takes several fills to really get restriction. Even better news: You can totally do this!! -23 lbs is an awesome start. Hang in there!

Yes, I think this is the time when we really struggle. No restriction. I'm not there yet, just had my staples out today, and began mushies, so I don't really have any advice. I just wanted to give you support and say that I know how hard it is, because I was getting so tired of liquids. I thought I liked the Isopure, but it takes me longer to drink that because it tastes so awful. I pour it over ice, and let it melt a little, which seems to help with the taste somewhat.

You will make it! Why? Because you sound determined. Just by the fact that you say you will. Hang in there!

Debbie

I agree with them, it is bandster hell. When I was in that phase I was convinced I'd stretched out my stomach because how else was I so hungry all the time when I just had surgery. Stick in there, you're doing so great already!

Try drinking liquids when you're hungry, but maybe change it up so it's flavored tea and isn't as boring as Water. Jello might help feel like you're "eating" if your stomach needs something. I went through the same thing, but in between my meals as a snack I'd have a Protein Shake, or as is my personal favorite now, I put Protein Powder in plain, lowfat yogurt (or greek yogurt). It'll get better with an adjustment, because then you shouldn't get hungry between meals.

Again, hang in there. It sounds like you're on the right track. We were all there, and I know I made it through and you can as well!

Hey there, I'm 3 weeks post op as well but I'm a little different in that I don't have an appetite at all. I was on a 3 week liquid post op diet that ended Wednesday and I basically was surviving on Water and chocolate milk the last 10 days. I guess my body was in starvation mode and I only lost 10 pounds in those 3 weeks. :tt2: I don't know if that explains why I don't have an appetite but I guess in a way it's a good thing. When I do try to eat my stomach hurts so bad that I don't want to eat anymore. It feels like maybe I have an ulcer or something. Anyway, good luck to you!!