Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Milk? :S

Just wondering about MILK?

1. Is it bad for us? I've been having coffees everytime I feel hungry, lowfat milk tho. Is that really bad? I only have max 3 a day.

2. If we're not supposed to drink while we eat, what about milk in our Cereal? I drink the milk by itself inbetween bites of the Cereal.

I don't think I was ever told not to drink milk, I know the dietician said to not drink my calories, so fruit juice etc. was bad, but I can't remember what she said about milk.

What do you guys do? :thumbup:

xo

I love milk! I drink a glass of milk (always skim) a couple times a week. When I eat Cereal I put milk in it but drain off the milk with every bite I take. I love cereal but I get hungry soon after because it goes thru the band quickly. If you keep it in moderation my dr. says its ok. Check with yours just to make sure.

I use one 8 oz glass of skim with a Protein Shake every day. When you say 3 X a day do you mean glasses? with even low fat milk that could be over 300 calories. I don't eat cereal because it doesn't stick with me. I do have oatmeal mixed with a fat free yogurt most mornings.

Milk! -YUMMM! I drink milk everyday! When I was going through my weight loss, I made sure to drink Skim milk, only. However, I am now at a weight where I fluctuate +/- 5 lbs almost weekly. I have come to learn how many calories I can eat per day and milk hardly ever affects my other decisions. You have to remember.. your body needs nutrients, nutrients, nutrients... I put milk in my Protein Shakes and mix it with my juice Plus+ Vitamins. (Those are the BEST supplements EVER- I highly recommend Juice Plus+ to all pre and post banders!) If you are at your goal weight, try some of your favorite things and see how it affects your body/weight. Of course, keep the vitamins and nutrients as a #1!

I have a question about milk...I don't drink skim milk but I drink milk with less than 6 grams of fat..is that alright? I drink milk with cereal all thetime.. and yes, it goes straight through you..I truly don't like oatmeal EVERYDAY...but, I know it is good for me....so what am I suppose to do about that....? I mean...help!!!lol

pmcclen2, You go girl! I love seeing people my age getting banded to change their future. You should feel so happy just by making the commitment to do the surgery... I have told myself for the last 2 yrs that once I reach my goal weight, I will NEVER have to worry about being fat again! I am at my goal weight now and would never, ever change my decision to have surgery. You just have to learn your body and what foods are easily consumed... everyone is different.

Milk is good for you! Throughout my surgery, that is the last thing I stressed about consuming. I was not able to eat much cereal because, like other carb-full items, I would have to "spit" it back up due to over filling. Oatmeal was great during my weight-loss. I tried all different types- I would make it wil a little milk, cinnamon, and sweetener.. Also tried it with a little bit of raisins or fruit. But I agree, it can definitelty get boring! Nowadays, once I 'got to know' my band (crazy thing has a mind of its own!), I realized that it's harder for me to eat anything too early in the morning. For Breakfast (a couple of hours after getting up) I eat yogurt, a Protein shake, or a Protein Bar. Even on my worst band days (when my band doesn't want anything), I can keep down a Protein Bar. The Special K (chewy) bars are yummy and easily digested... so are the Power Bars (any flavor).If you don't like that "protein" taste, definitely try the Special K! If you feel the milk is going right through you, try having less of it. I am overly-obsessed with milk now, but I do not have the 'poops' or anything afterward.

Keep up the great work- please feel free to ask me anything you need regarding your progress.

Edited by *New&Improved*
ooopss.. wrong reply name! :)

Girl..thanks for that..I needed that..I know some days I feel as if my band..doesn't want anything..I also realize that if i consume less calories a day..I'll be ok. Don't you think? What is your avg. caloric intake? I'm trying to learn my body now...it ain't easy..definitely not easy! :) lol..but, its manageable. Make sure you add me to your friend's list. I'm so happy for you. Seeing your successful makes me hopeful. I had a few..(many) lol..setbacks..I'm better not. Focused. I have supportive people in my life and the non-supporters which makes me push even harder to proove them wrong. Thanks for your support!

Oh yeah, I know the feeling- Those days I'm like "please, please, please, let me eat a flippin' peanut- dang!" The best advise for these days is to drink liquid- sometimes your body needs a day to recover if you made it sweat the day before. Spicy food, liquor/beer, etc...- these things make your band stress a little bit. (I know... it sucks.. being 21 and not able to drink someone under the table like I could when I was 18? WHAT?) Just teasing... LOL Sometimes the day after having these foods/drinks you will notice your band resists about everything but :) water! Take the day to enjoy juices and Water, chick, because that band ain't gonna budge!!

I do not count calories as much as I used too... My main concern now is to get the nutrients/vitamins I need. Once I got down to my goal weight, which was 111lbs, the weight kept falling off- literally (got down to like 95 lbs). I tried eating more to gain some weight back but it didn't help. I had an extremely small amount of my band taken out just so I could get some nutrients in me, which helped a lot. When I got that small, I ended up fainting while shopping at the mall- by myself! YIKES! Now, I eat whatever I want- just small, small amounts of it. My friends say I'm "grazing"...The only way I can do this, keeping health in mind, is by taking a multi Vitamin (chewables b/c pills are NOT my friend) and by taking juice Plus! <- This is God's gift to banders!!!! This supplement is pure fruits and veggies in a pill or chewable. When I make a Protein shake or sometimes just in juice, I empty the pill into the liquid and drink it down. I get my fruits and veggies in the supplement! It's awesome!!!!

Added you as a friend... I am not on here much but I have a Myspace if you want to be friends there too! www.myspace.com/dallasbabejt :)

Keep on rockin' girl!! You will be lookin' fierce VERY soon! Watch out ladies- better hold on to your men!!

Girl...Hey, thats right! Look out ladies..naw..just playing..I understand what you mean...but, I realize there's one guy i need..he's been with me through thick and thin..but, you know..they still betta hold on to they man once they see me...ya diggggggg! lol..however, I was a big drinker..but, i realize they don't have any weight loss drinks so I stop that..lol..but, i don't be on here that much but I do be on facebook..I have a myspace I'm about add you in amin. My Facebook thing is Precious BeautyisEbony Mcclendon

sometimes ihave a problem with milk it sours in my stomach before it actually goes down and i puke it back up ...has this happened to anyone

Hey there smsithart!

This has happened to me before too. When you spit it up it looks kind of cottage-cheesy? I do not think it is necessarily spoiling in your esophogus... well I know in my case, it isn't hours later that I spit it up- normally less than 30 minutes from consumption. My mother has lapband and she has the same effect sometimes. This just means that, like anything else that comes up, that you are intaking more than your band will allow. Try a thinner milk (skim, 1%, 2%) or try not eating too much while you are drinking it.

By the way, you look awesome! Did you not have excess skin once you reached your goal weight? I am down to my ideal weight and have excess skin on my stomach area- how do I get rid of it?? :w00t: