Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band too tight? -OR- Eating too fast?

Oh yeah hear ya there! When my band was too tight and I was throwing up just about everything, it tends to mess with your head. I still am dealing with the fact that some things won't stay down and then when I do keep something down I think now why couldn't I have thrown that up? I would have never thought that- ever before I had 6 weeks of everything coming back up. It does not take long for those kinds of things to get in your head. I actually got tired of not getting to eat Breakfast and just started skipping it all together. BAD IDEA! My weight loss really slowed and I just recently started making sure I have a shake in the morning or a yogurt after being up for a hour or so and I started dropping weight again. We all have our share of problems! May we all figure this out!!!

Wheew just read through this whole thread....I'm having alot of trouble with painful hiccupping! After reading, I'm going to really really concentrate on the chewing small bites. I eat slow, but I think its my bite size and chewing that is getting me. If no improvement, I'll be going for an unfill. I'm also going to try the Water thing to help the extreme hunger! I'm starting to slide back to the grazing, and the weight isn't coming off as fast as it was, so I know I need to do something soon! Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!!!

I just read through this subject about your band being too tight. I just had an unfill yesterday. I found I was throwing up way too much and the food in my stomach would get sour and my stomach would gurgle. My doctor told me that my band was way too tight and she took out some Fluid.

I am feeling much better. I think its a careful balance that you have enough restriction that you don't overeat but that you have not too much restriction that you can eat what you need for what your body needs. I guess I'm in my sweet spot right now. Thanks all for sharing on this subject.

Me too! I have the same problems as you. I am going for my small unfill tomorrow. I can't wait to eat real food and not have to throw up every single time I even have a hard time with liquids.< /p>

Good luck to you! Hope you get some relief soon. It took me several days before I got less restriction. In hindsight, I think I would have taken only in liquids for a couple of days. I don't know if the doctor will suggest that to you or not. I am now able to eat most anything but still feel full so I feel it is working well now.

:frown:Okay Guys - this is the perfect thread for me. I'm need some help please!!!!!

I was banded in Sept 08, I had a fill in Oct and was not restricted and only lost a few pounds so my next fill was in Dec. This time the fill was very tight - and I had problems eating and drinking. I would throw up or pb after almost every meal so I waited 30 days thinking that I needed to concentrate on eating more slowly, chewing slowly. By Feb I was still having a problem so I didn't go back to the Dr - I changed the foods I was eating and began to eat more soft foods like, Soup, chili, Beans - less meat. I cannot eat chicken prepared in any form, baked, broiled, nuggets -etc not able to keep it down at all.

I finally called my dr and he suggested that I come in to see him. He didn't want to take any Fluid out but he can't seem to figure out why I'm not losing any weight. It has been 3 months since my 2nd/last fill and I only lost 3 lbs. What the heck is that about -something is really wrong here - why did I get the band?!

I have PCOS so my hormones are out of balance and I know I have metabolic syndrome - I'm not getting enough Protein or keeping it down, so my hair is falling out by the hand full and my nails are brittle and breaking - plus my skin is like sandpaper. I'm constipated and miserable, afraid to eat for fear of PB'ing - won't go out to eat at all for fear of spontaneous pb. At home only eating 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup once daily of Soup or yogurt, chili, Beans. I cannot eat eggs or chicken, meat other than ground turkey in chili. I also pb when trying to eat 1 or 2 spoon fulls of egg salad, chicken salad or tuna salad.

Mr Dr. reluctantly did a slight unfill today - very tiny amount removed. I'm still afraid to eat, but I can drink fluids without any pbing, so hopefully I can start eating without an issue.

Now I don't know what to do -eat - I need to lose weight and

It's not coming off! I thought at 6 months I would have at least 60lbs gone.....

Should I only consume liquids for a few days and wait to move back up to solid foods? I just don't know what to do.

6moths post surgery and I've only lost 26lbs.....that's 1 pound per week overall -but 23 of those pounds were lost during pre-surgery liquid diet and the first month post surgery. The last 3 months I only lost 3 lbs - something is wrong here.

Can anyone here help me??????:tongue_smilie:

Edited by MMDLynn
misspelling

Hi Lynn,

I would suggest getting your hormones in balance first. Then make sure you are getting adequate Protein. Find a good Protein Drink to supplement your food. I was told to have between 60-70 grams of Protein per day. Most of the time I get it from eating food.

If I have had a fill or unfill, I drink Protein drinks the first day or two and then gradually add mushy foods.

Also check yourself about how much you are exercising.

Good luck and let me know how you are doing!0

Ellen

I hope everyone if feeling better. I hope the unfil was helpful MMLynn. I know exactly what you're going through. Been there, done that, and now back to that. Eating and regurgitating myself past 2 weeks. Now on to ice cream because it goes down. Also doing the bean, Soup, chilli thing.

Ellen is absolutely right about the exercising (No0t that I'm diong it), but she is right.

I probably n eed an unfill, but I'm not sure if what's happening right now is due to the stress I'm under.

WEll we'll see. Hang in there.

Maybe I should get an unfil? Any ideas?

Caryn

I'm battling with restriction again. I had that unfil and since then I'm hungary all the time and gained 5 lbs. Dr. put back in Fluid and still was hungary, but today it was really hard for anything to stay down. expericned a lot of pain due to food getting stuck. Also eating due to head hunger and can't seem to get a grip on this. Any suggestions?

Its a careful balance. Isn't it? I had an unfill and toying with the idea of a fill but I'm enjoying not throwing up and keeping things down. If I was you, I would get myself to a support group ASAP (if you are not currently attending one). Head hunger will not help with fills. Also, it really helped me by going to a therapist and working on issues related to head hunger. We need to learn that the band is only one tool and we need other ways to deal with life and our feelings without the use of food. Good luck! Let me know how you are doing. I care because I am walking the balance beam of having the correct restriction to limit the volume of food but enough food to give nutrition.

Ellen

I went to my regular doctor and discussed how I just am drawn to the food even when not hungary. I have no self control if I am able to eat (you know, the restriction thing). Anyway we talked about food addiction and discussed Overeater's Anonymous. I went online and answered their question and yes it sound s like I would belong there. Going to a meeting today to check it out. I'm afraid I can gain all my weight back even with the band. We;ll see how that goes and I'll let you know. In the meantime I will be looking for a therapist who deals with obesity issues. You're right, I need someone to talk to about the head hunger.

Last night I sat with the Peanut Butter and ate a 1/3 of a jar, at 190caLORIES for 2 tablespoons, 140 calories of which is fat. I didn't care and just ate even though I was not hungary. I didn't eat the rest of the day and blew it at night. I can't stand myself.

I'll let you know how the meeting goes. Thank you for your support. I really need it.

When did you have your unfil? I know it's great when you can eat, but at what cost. I got another fill and still I'm hungary all the time. Hopefully,. it works better for you.

Caryn

I had my last unfill on April 18. I went to OA for many years. It helped me in many ways but the band has been the most powerful tool for weight loss success for me. I simply cannot eat the volume of food like I used to eat plus I don't have food cravings. My therapist doesn't have a speciality in food addiction but that might be interesting to find a therapist that has that. Can you go to a support meeting for lapbanders near your home? I go regularly to three meetings a month through my bariatric surgeon's office (bypass and lapband) along with a support group once a month with an emphasis in lapband. I found that I have to find another source of comfort for myself other than food. I exercise, shop, talk on the phone, take a hot bath, etc. Anything else but to eat or to eat over feelings or boredom, etc. Good luck to you! We are on the same path but it gets bumpy at times.

Ellen

Thanks so much for your support. I see that you are 14 lbs from your goal and that's wonderful. How's the unfil working for you. Are you more comfortable. I am 25lbs from goal.

I went to OA like I said I would. When they talked from the book I really related. I kept thinking "ahuh" I agree. I think this may be for me. I'll have to give it a couple more meetings to really know. (I can never make my mind up fast) Anyway, that night my friend brought me over a pint of icecream. Wow she really wants to sabatoge me. Anyway, it's not her fault, but i ate the whole pint. Then I was so guilty and upset. I just ate it, there was no stopping me. it's just like I can't even think about not eating it, I automatically eat. I went to call someone from OA after the fact but she wasn't home. I need to call before, but it's like automatic pilot with no thought. I just eat it. I gained 1/2 lb after my hard work.

I look forward to hearing from you again.