Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Urgent

Well it sounds like my sister in law is having the band removed on monday morning, the dr's have discovered that lesions have grown in her stomach which makes it very difficult to drink liquids, liquids aren't forceful enough to get thru this now very small opening, food can pass more easily because it's more forceful. The dr is leaving the decision up to her as far as her options which are gastric bypass, or a larger band ( this doesn't guarantee it wont happen again). Has anyone else experienced this. She must make a decision prior to Monday morning HELP

I would think that she would have no band for a while to let her stomach heal. Then go with the larger band.

I personally don't know that I could in good concious recommend the RNY. Yes, I know that there are many many people who've had tremendous success with the RNY, but I worry that the complications are too great.

Your sister is in our thoughts

I would recommend trying the larger band, with some investigation as to why he didn't choose it in the firstplace?

I hope that she feels better soon no matter which way she decides to go.

I agree wait for a little while and let the stomach heal and then go with a larger band.

I know several poeple with the RNY and know they wish they would have gone with the band. I have also know one person lost their life due to complications with it.

Please be careful your SIL will be in my thoughts.

First & Foremost my prayers are with you and your sister. For all its worth my advice is if she goes with the larger band & its sucessful won't that be wonderful. I do agree that she should get a second opinion no matter what on if she should heal first prior to placement of the new band.

If the larger Vanderguard band doesn't work she would than still have an option of RNY at that time. BUT NOT TRYING the larger band & doing RNY right away may leave her guessing "I wonder if it would have worked."

That being said its such a personal life decision. I know many people who have had success with the RNY. But the 2 that I know really well BOTH gained their weight(a portion) of it back after only one year and are very depressed.

God Bless your sister & I wish her health & healing. Good Luck & let us know-either or you have our support always!

P.S. If her insurance is covering it , I would also check that second opinion & maybe a third as to why this happened. Could it have been Doctors' poor choice of bands to begin with or just a complication that was no ones fault?

Prayers go out to your sister. First though did they say why the lesions developed? Sounds suspicious to me. If she gets a second band what is to say she won't develope then a second time? Gotta find the reason for them developing the first time before getting a second larger band.

Keep us posted.

Let the body heal. THEN decide how to proceed. (And don't consider only band and RnY; have her look into the DS as well. I say that because the DS leaves a larger stomach area than RnY.)

I hope your sister-in-law recovers quickly. It's lovely that she has in you a family member who can understand what she's going through.