Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last Supper Syndrome

With my upcoming surgery on March 10, I am currently experiencing what we in Weight Watchers used to call "Last Super Syndrome"--the urge to eat anything and everything that will be forbidden once the diet starts. Yesterday I went to the store and bought chips and Valentine's hearts. I am thinking that I'll have to get a double cheeseburger one of these days...

It's really dumb! Does anyone else feel that way? I am also afraid that I won't be able to stick to the liquids only diet. I have failed at dieting so many times. Help!

I am acutally doing that... but for different reasons. I wasn't put on a pre-op diet because my weight isn't THAT high (haha, who would ever call 200 lbs not that high) anyway... I *helped* the scales a bit and now I'm afraid they will freak when I come in weighing less than before. So i'm forcing myself to eat way more and for hte first time in my life, I'm having a hard time putting weight on. Who would have thought, right?

Are you on a pre-op diet? If not, i wouldn't worry about it, honestly. I know that the day of my surgery it all changes, which I am acutally looking forward too... I'm not enjoing stuffing myself. LOL

It breaks my heart to hear people doing this. Surgery is not a step anyone is really *happy* to have to take and I just think there's no way to feel more upset and disgusted in yourself than to let your control go in this way right after you've made the decision to change your life for the better. If there was EVER a time to grasp that willpower, now is it.

BUT - we're all ill to varying degrees and this is a totally normal response. However, do realise, NOTHING will be forbidden forever, you will be able to eat a fairly normal diet. And it has really no bearing on your ability to stick to your post surgery instructions, you might have GREAT restriction for weeks. Plus there is nothing like the fear of ending up back in hospital to keep you on the straight and narrow.

I think its highly sensible to plan some treats and not to plan to diet or deny yourself ridiculously during this time - until you start your pre op diet. But keep to a basically normal eating routine, dont go scoffing everything in sight, you'll only feel guilty and awful about it.

Edited by Jachut

Thanks for the good advice, Jachut! I did have one serving each of the chips and valentine hearts, so I kept it under control. The problem is having the stuff in the house. I'll send it to work with my husband tomorrow. And, come hell or high Water, I'm going to stick to my pre-surgery diet!

I'm on 6th day of liquids. It isn't as bad as I expected. It's not so much as feeling hungry, as dealing with the "head hunger". After working out on day 2, I realized that was usually my excuse to go eat a big lunch. You see how many times you'd normally go eat something. The toughest time for me is at night, I try to have a sugar free popsicle or Jello to hold me over.

You'll get through the liquids okay, just need to Water or Clear Liquids allowed to help fill you up. I never realized how good a cup of beef broth tastes.

I am going through the same thing I have told my family to give my last box of caption crunch Cereal so I can enjoy it for the last time. I also am spending most of my pre op diet time at home and with someone who will keep all the food under lock and key.

I totally feel the same way. I have a surgery date of March 19th and feel that I want to eat everything in sight. In fact I am contemplating running out for a Blizzard...

I am going through a Last Supper Syndrome also. I am enjoying some foods that I know I won't be able to eat afterwords.

Though,I am not stuffing my face with everything in sight. As you can tell, In my sig. I have lost a good amount of weight on my pre op diet.

Am I the only one who wasn't put on a pre-op diet?

My surgeon's office does not require it. Although, they strongly suggest to start, progressively, changing your diet to post op.

I believe the liquid diet is to ensure that the liver is lean enough for surgery. My surgeon's office has had very few incidents where they could not continue the surgery due to a fatty liver.

Yeah I did that this weekend. I had filet mignon topped with Foie Gras, handcut fries fried in duck fat, truffled mac and cheese and a flourless chocolate cake a la mode. I start my pre-op diet in two days. I couldn't think of a better send off.

Today I went back on "diet". There are some foods I would like to enjoy before my surgery. Though, they are not worth it.

I would be upset if I gained weight (in fact, 1.5# this week )between being approved and surgery.

Time to polish the halo, and flip back on top the head :rolleyes: