Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

if I loose 250 pounds

I haven't even got my lap band as of yet . I have been searching these forums for some answers and cant find any. I have about 250 pounds to lose and know I will need major PS but what kinds specifically?A Full body lift inner thigh lift arm lift breast lift ? The reason I ask this is I cant find anyone who has lost more than 100 pounds and got plastic surgery. Also Ive read where people have got tummy tucks and got there ab muscles tightened. Why? Do the muscles in the stomach get screwed up because of all the weight? Sorry for all the ? I just have no clue. Does anyone know how much a body lift even costs?

First, don't worry about needing plastic surgery. I'm not saying not to think about it or not to plan for it, but don't WORRY about it. Lsoing 250 lbs is much more important and you will feel GREAT and be so much healthier for doing that part of the journey, with or without the plastics.

TT almost always includes tightening the ab muscles. Something about the weight (or having babies) makes the two muscle walls detatch from each other and sewing the back together is part of the TT procedure. You can mitigate needing a lot of that with exercise. I didn't have any muscle tightening, but I'd worked with a trainer for 3 years and had good muscle tone underneath my excess fat and skin. Plus I'm young and haven't had children. Muscle tightening is normal and generally included in the TT cost (as opposed to a paniculectomy, which is just cutting off the skin and fat). Don't worry about it.

I think what I had was pretty typical for someone losing 200+ lbs. I had surgery in three stages.

(1) TT (extended) and breast lift.

(2) Outer thigh lift and brachioplasty (the TT and the outer thigh lift together make an LBL -- some do that in one stage -- I wanted my TT so badly that I had it done at 200 lbs, which was quite a bit above my goal weight and I still had a lot to lose in my legs, so they suggested I approach it that way).

(3) Inner thighs and breast implants.

Phase 1 was quite necessary to living a full life post 200+ lbs weight loss. Phase 2 was nice but not "necessary." Phase 3 was completely cosmetic (and fabulous!)

Hope that helps, Julie

Julie Thanks for your response. Im the one who sent you the message by the way. your response did help. You are right about getting the first chapter done before worring about plastic surgery. Its just that I know Im gonna need tons of work and I wont be able to aford it. I will defenetly get the Tummy Tuck though because Ill defenetly need one . I have had twins that were large babys and then an 11 pounder and my belly got stretched out LOL. MY BOOBS ARE GONNA TOUCH MY KNEES. LOL My hubby loves me no matter what so I guess my health will be enouph to make me thrilled. I want to live to see my boys grow up and have there familys.

Being obese is exactly like being pregnant - the pressure of all that fat inside your abdomen pushes out against the rectus muscles and separates them.

marmar,

You'll do well. I'm at the point of getting plastic surgery. And I'm having a lowerbody lift, my arms and my breasts lifted without implants.

Heavy I was like apple with toothpicks for legs, so my legs while not super sexy, don't have that much excess skin.

JulieNYC was right in telling you to take care of first things first. You'll be amazed at how quickly time passes and all the fun new things you'll be able to do.

Congratulations for taking the steps in healthy direction!

Marmar,

I loved Julie's response. I have lost about 245 pounds from "my thought to be heaviest" of 409 pounds.

I was fortunate that I was able to access a panniculectomy at no cost to myself, and although I know it isn't the same results as a tt, I don't regret it for a second and would do it over again. I suspect that from the pictures I have seen, the major difference for me is that I still have kind of "roll" in my mid section. I am still pretty square though the body, but then I always was.

I also think I had lots of abdominal damage due to years of huge excess weight and other health issues that would necessitate major abdominal reconstruction to correct. I do think a panni or a tt is probably the most necessary procedure after weight loss, and not just for cosmetic reasons. Often people can get a panni covered, for health reason, while a tt isn't covered by most insurance as it is considered cosmetic.

I have excess skin everywhere - at this point, what I would consider necessary is what the public sees - I am pretty firm on wanting brachioplasty as my arms are horrible and I am terribly self conscious about them. I would much rather have the huge scar than the bat wings. If I can access a breast lift at the same time, great, but I also realize that a good bra does ok for that (and yes my breasts hang low - very very low - so low that I am not convinced that they could even be fixed).

I can live with the skin on my back side (after all I don't see it behind me and good clothing covers and lifts), I would like to get my thighs done, but that is a like rather than a must.

Focus on weight loss now - starting putting aside some $ for plastic surgery, so that can be a goal for yourself, but don't focus on it. I would rather keep all the extra skin and be healthy than spend my time and energy worrying about ps and if and how I could afford (or not afford) getting things fixed. I think focusing on what your body will look like after weight loss can actually be an influence that you can use to sabotage your success.

I think I look pretty darn good (with clothes on :cursing:). I have a photo album posted here - all those pictures are taken without any ps. If I could never have anything done, I would still consider this journey a huge success and worth it, in every way, extra skin and all.

Good luck!!!!

Wow thanks for the support guys. Im so glad there are people out there that have come so far. You give me hope. JJ AWSOME pics. Thanks for sharing them.Pictures speak 1000 words.I wish you all had them posted

I've got pix in my blog, but I'm not at goal so my story is not yet written. :cursing:

I agree with JJSmiles. I think the Tummy Tuck and arms are a must for most people because they really make a difference for your clothes. Those are the 2 musts for me. I may get other stuff later though. I am wondering if a doc will do TT and arms at the same time?