Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladders and Weight Loss

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a while as things have been rather quiet on the weightloss/band front.

Over the past several weeks, I've had very bad pains in the upper right part of my abdomen - At first I thought it was my lapband, but after some research it became clear that it was probably a gallbladder problem. I have most of the symptoms and so my doctor has ordered a series of tests and has done a physical exam - he says he'll bet his Mercedes (albeit an old one) that I have gallstones.

Apparently this is quite common (1 in 4) with people who have lost weight rapidly and/or have had significant weight fluctuations. As I'll most likely need to have my gallbladder removed, I've been looking for information on gallbladder surgery and those who have lapbands...do any of you have any info on this topic? I'm curious as to what happens to my band if I need the surgery?

Thankfully my lapband surgeon is local and also does other types of surgeries including gallbladders. I'm relieved he's just 10 minutes away.

I don't have anything to offer except that I have been expecting the same thing. I am the only female left in my family that still has her gallbladder, even my sister who is 12 years younger has had hers removed. I have been having intermittent pain on my right side but more towards the back almost near the kidneys...so I am not sure it is gallbladder, I need to get that checked.

My surgeon told me pre-op that a high percentage of his patients eventually need to have this surgery due to rapid weight loss. It is a minor laproscopic procedure, your gallbladder is on the other end of your stomach (away from the Lap Band) so I can't imagine it causing any issues with the band.

Edited by Jodi_620

I had my gallbladder removed several years ago, and it's made no difference with my band, although, my surgeries are reversed from yours. I had it done laparoscopically, and the recovery was very quick.

About 10 years ago I went through rapid weight loss using another method. Just as I was nearing my goal - lost a 100lbs - I had three very painful gall bladder attacks. I had it removed via laparoscopic surgery. It was day surgery, and I recovered quickly with no side effects. There are some people who can not tolerate certain foods after the surgery, e.g., fatty foods. I had a period of time where there was true, but it gradually faded.

Now that I had the band inserted, I have a bit more scar tissue all in the same area, but no big deal.

So, I had gall bladder surgery first, and then the band. Not the order you may be heading for, but if your surgeon performs both, it sounds like you'll be in a good place.

Thanks Jodi, Kiz and FWWAB,

Today is a bit better pain wise and I'm starting to get my appetite back - my hope is that the 'attack' is over and that I'll soon be back to normal.

My last test (ultrasound) is on Feb. 14th and I see my surgeon the following week. If I do need my gallbladder removed, I hope the surgery is quick and doesn't require an 'unfil'

innotu, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems! Hang in there and best wishes on the whole thing.

Can anyone tell me what an attack feels like? It didn't occur to me til I saw this thread that maybe I might be starting to have problems.

Last week I woke up with bad back pain, deep. Most of it on the right side, sort of radiating to the left but not involving the spin. At first I thought it was kidney stones but the pain was higher up, about mid-back. All day was pretty painful. Deep breaths hurt and if I moved wrong. I couldn't even lift or hold my DD for long The next day (and since), I was fine. Now I'm wondering.

Thanks for any help you can give me. Guess I'd better do some research just in case!

Jodi, hope yours isn't going too!

Heartfire,

My gall bladder problems started during pregnancy. My pain was just right of center of my chest, and right at the bottom of my rib cage. My doctor thought it was indigestion. Soon after I had my baby, I had a full fledged attack. It felt like someone was stabbing a knife right threw my chest in the same area I mentioned. I was doubled over in pain. I went to the doctor, and with an ultra sound I was diagnosed. I've heard that sometimes the pain radiates around to the back, but that didn't happen to me.

Hi Heartfire,

I have the same symptoms as Kiz and my pain does radiate to my back (shoulder blade area) - all pain is on my right side.

My other symptoms (don't read if you're squeamish) dark (brownish) urine and gray stool, Constipation and lack of appetite. The attacks come in the middle of the night but the pain itself lasts for days. My attacks seem to be triggered by 'fatty' foods - (my favourite Indian restaurant is now off limits). Of course I can't eat very much to begin with, but even the little bit I do eat of fatty foods sends me into a full blown attack.

I've done the blood tests and have my ultrasound next week - I hope its just gallstones - my Doc says that would be the best case scenario!!! I haven't asked what the worst case scenario would be and will cross that bridge when I get to it. All signs however point to gallstones.

Hi:

Gallbladder removal laproscopically is a pretty easy surgery to recover from. My lap band surgeon did my gallbladder removal 9 months after lap band. One thing I recommend is that you get either one of the Spanx or really tight underwear that go above your belly button. My biggest discomfort was just above my belly button where the biggest scar was. It hurt when i moved, and in bed. My sister said to try putting on my tight-fitting bathing suit and see if it hurt less, and it definitely did because it couldn't jiggle.

I asked to have an unfill because when I was banded I had big issues with nausea. So, he unfilled me, but I got filled back up the day after gallbladder surgery. I didn't have the nausea issues with gallbladder and he said that's probably because when you have more fat your body absorbs more of the anesthesia, and because I was 125 pounds lighter it didn't have as much fat to store in.

Best wishes to you with your tummy!

Sue

Thanks Ladies!

I'll keep an eye on things, (and not too TMI when you're describing symptoms to look for!). Mine was all in my mid-back. Ribcage area. No other symptoms but I know what to look for now, if this continues. And my band surgeon does gallbladders too so I'll have him take care of things, if needed.

innotu, I really hope it best case scenario! Worst case, is probably surgery to remove it. We'll just hope there is no need for surgery. Let us know!

Thanks everyone!

Sue,

Its reassuring to hear from a bandster who's had gallbladder surgery. From your post it sounds like the band doesn't need to be unfilled. I'd prefer leaving the band as is and not having to start back at square one.

Thanks again for the information.

innotu:

Let us know how you make out.

Sue

I've dropped about 30 pounds since I was banded in November, and nine days ago I had a terribly, sudden pain across my abdomen. The next morning, I went to the ER where they diagnosed pancreatitis, and I ended up having my gall bladder removed five days ago. I went home within about 24 hours, and while I've been feeling pretty run-down since then, I'm definitely on the mend, and feeling much, much better than I did five days after my lap band was installed.

Heidi,

Congrats on the weightloss! and glad to hear you're on the mend - I understand pancreatitis is very painful. Did you have any warning signs prior to your first attack?

No, not a one! My stomach started to cramp last Friday at about 10:15, and by 11 it was so painful I could hardly walk. My doctor says I must have had smaller bouts before this, but none that I noticed at all. At least it won't happen again!