Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What diet plan are you all going to be following when you get to regular food?

I know we are supposed to focus on Protein first so I am guessing that many bandsters are following Atkins or South Beach.

I had hoped I could say "diets" were behind me when I got my band but I realize that I do better when I stay focused on what types of food I should be eating.

I've done Weight Watchers in the past with some success but I'll never be able to consume the points on a daily basis.

I've got two weeks until regular food and I'm just trying to get things figured out. I did order two cook books for Lap Band people so I'm sure they will help me out.

Let's hear what you are doing or plan to do.

I don't follow any plan. I eat when I am hungry and stop when I am satisfied. I don't eat between meals.

I don't count calories or fat and carb grams nor do I measure, weigh or keep a food diary. Yes, we are to focus on Protein, if you get a serving of Protein with each meal you should be OK if your intake does not add up to 60 grams, then supplement with a shake or something. I also watch my processed foods. I go for fresh natural foods like fresh meat, fresh/frozen veggies, fresh/frozen fruit, whole grain Cereal and dairy. I avoid processed foods that come out of a can or a box, I avoid processed carbs made from bleached flour and sugar and I avoid starchy foods.

I watch what types of food I put into my body and the band controls how much.

Eggbeaters with lean meat and cheese and veggies or oatmeal cooked in skim milk with fruit are good Breakfast choices.

Lean Proteins, Beans, colorful veggies and high Fiber fruits are great choices for your meals.

I am going back to my nutritionist on the 12th and we are going to go over everything that I will need to do once I am on regular foods. I am also going on a grocery tour with a nutritionist on the 9th I am not sure what that will be like but I am thinking maybe going over the labels and how to choose what to buy?

I do not plan on following any "diet" I keep a journal with what I eat, how much, fat, Protein, Water, exercise, etc. and I will have my nutritionist to help me and my aftercare support group. I also go back to the nutrition classes they offer to keep on top of everything.

Thank you all for your responses. I'm going to have to figure out what I am doing wrong, if anything.

I went to the doctor and weighed myself for the first time in since the surgery. We are talking two weeks but we are talking two different scales. I haven't lost a pound, not a single pound. :tongue: Just how is that possible?

Looking back on the last two weeks with the full liquids (pureed foods) I am wondering if I just haven't been getting enough calories in to support weight loss. I was told by my surgeon not to expect any weight loss in the first four weeks or so but it seems like everyone I know is losing weight after being banded. Why not me?? Frustrated to say the least. :thumbup:

I share your frustration but I keep going. I was banded 1/12/09 and lost the first week 10 pounds.. I am now approaching my 4th week and have just dropped another 3 from one day to the next. inbetween, NOTHING, NADA... As I read more on line, that has happened to allot of others. So I am hoping that this means I am on my way to start.. but not holding my breath yet.

I can tell you before the last drop, I was taking in 700-800 calories. I have increased it to 1000 - 1100 and that is when I dropped the 3 pounds. Concidence.. maybe but I take it for what it looks like. Going for my first fill and the nutritionist Thursday.. we will see what they say..

Good Luck.. keep your chin up.. :tongue:

Going for my first fill and the nutritionist Thursday.. we will see what they say..

Wow you know that you are getting a fill already? I was told that we'll see and that it all depended on my weight loss, exercise, food that I am eating, etc.... So I am not getting my hopes up when I go in on the 12th and I was banded on the 9th.

Lots of luck!

What diet plan are you all going to be following when you get to regular food?

I know we are supposed to focus on Protein first so I am guessing that many bandsters are following Atkins or South Beach.

Let's hear what you are doing or plan to do.

I'm doing a combination of calorie count and carb count. The carb count is way more important, according to my doc and his nutritionist, whom I saw today. The calories almost take care of themselves now, so she suggested I just stick to journaling the carbs.

For me at least, the carbs do matter. As long as I stay below 30g total a day, I lose weight. When I don't, I either gain a pound or don't lose for a day or two.

Lena:

That is so hard to keep the carbs under 30 grams. It is no wonder you are loosing so well. My viactiv chew has 4 carbs. Do you count the Creamer in your coffee. Even my metamucil has 6 carbs.

Way to go Lena. Keep up the carb counting. Holly

Banded Jan. 29th, 2009

weight.png[/img]

Lena:

That is so hard to keep the carbs under 30 grams. It is no wonder you are loosing so well. My viactiv chew has 4 carbs. Do you count the Creamer in your coffee. Even my metamucil has 6 carbs.

Way to go Lena. Keep up the carb counting. Holly

/quote]

I do indeed count the creamer in my coffee. It kills me to limit my coffee, but switching to hot tea helps in the winter. I stopped taking Metamucil and switched to Miralax on my doctor's recommendation. I don't have to count the Miralax.

Yes, keeping the carbs that low is very rough sometimes, especially during holidays and family celebrations. However, I can be forgiving of myself for the rare celebrational moment, as long as I'm reasonable. Sometimes it means getting inventive, other times it means depending on someone else to be "coach" and say, "Aunt Bea, we really appreciate what you did baking that birthday cake, but Lena's only allowed a sliver of cake. Anything more will cause a blockage and a hospital visit. Thank you."

Really, it's outside influences that cause me the most distress. I actually have learned to love living low carb now that I no longer crave the carbs like I did at first. It's others who think they're being kind by offering me carbs despite my protests and refusals that make it difficult. "Oh, this little bit of mashed potato won't hurt you!" Yes, it will.

That's the hard part-- getting them to understand what kind of damage one little serving of rice, Pasta, bread, cakes or potato can do to us. I've actually had to make a paste of ground up cooked rice to prove how it can create a plug that will act like a cork on the LapBand.

When I'm in control of what is on my plate, I love how my LapBand forces me to live a low carb life. The food is delicious and plentiful. Who knew real Mayonnaise, real butter, and whipping cream were lower in carbs than the so-called diet foods?

Whoops. Sorry. I get going on this and I don't shut up. (Slinking back to my blog.)

Lena

I'm not following any diet plan - and hopefully won't ever again. I'm eating 2 or 3 very small meals (compared to before pre-op diet) and not snacking. I stay full between meals so it is easy to avoid Snacks. I make sure to follow the rules about not drinking before or after meals.

And I walk 45 minutes on the treadmill every day.

I've done low carb many years so I know the ins and outs of that... hollyberry8 - you can buy sugar free Metamucil. That's what I use. And remember to subtract the Fiber count from the carb count to get the carb count that you use to add to your daily totals.

As for losing weight slowly at this stage, that's me too. I only lost 3 lbs from surgery day to post-op appt day (10 days). That was disheartening since I was barely eating anything at all. So I started tracking my calories to make sure I was getting at least 1,000-1,200 per day.

Once I moved back to regular foods, I stopped counting calories (or anything, for that matter) and have been losing 1-2 lbs per week. My first fill appointment will be 2/23 so we'll see what the doctor says then.

Thanks Bee, I have forgotten that subtraction equation between carbs and Fiber. I'll definitely change to the sugar free metamucil, it has been doing its job so far. I was able to actually eat a dinner last night of salmon and squash. So

satisfying and all was well! Holly

Banded 1/29/09

weight.png[/img]