Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling discouraged

I was banded on the 30th of December and since the surgery I have lost 9 pounds. I have no restriction yet and will have my first fill on the 9th. I am feeling frustrated. I have been doing everything by the book, and my weight loss is very slow. I have been eating very small portions and don’t feel hungry but do have a lot of stomach growling. I have been on the treadmill for at least a half hour a day, sometime longer. I know this is a slow process, but I am really feeling very discouraged. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't been banded...but weightloss with or without the band seems to have a mind of its own sometimes. I'd say, just keep on exercising and even increase the duration of exercising.....go for an hour instead of 30 min:thumbup:.

From what I've read on here it seems a lot of people really start losing at a decent rate after their first fill....so maybe that will be your situation.

Hang in there...you went through a lot already, it'll happen. I have to still wait a year before I can do the surgery, so I have to stay positive and motivated to try to lose weight so I can enjoy my summer and be active. Good luck...wish you the best.

I was banded on the 30th of December and since the surgery I have lost 9 pounds. I have no restriction yet and will have my first fill on the 9th. I am feeling frustrated. I have been doing everything by the book, and my weight loss is very slow. I have been eating very small portions and don’t feel hungry but do have a lot of stomach growling. I have been on the treadmill for at least a half hour a day, sometime longer. I know this is a slow process, but I am really feeling very discouraged. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i was banded on 12.31 and i've lost around 11lbs so i can understand where you are coming from. i feel hungry pretty much all the time and it's awful. i also have absolutely no energy to function most days. my first fill is on the 11th so i'm looking forward to that.

with all that being said, i'm still so gald that i have done this! there's no way i would have been able to lose any weight at this point without it. if we can lose around 10 lbs a month in 10 months that's 100 lbs! Wouldn't that be amazing? Right now I know for me, that my boday is just getting used to not having nearly as many carbs, caffeine, and overall junk food like it has for the last 7 or 8 years. It's a definitely a process but it's going to be so worth it in the end :cheated:

keep your head up...you're doing an amazing job! :tongue2:

How many calories a day are you eating? Sometimes you aren't eating enough and that causes you to lose slower. I think you have to figure out the just right number your body needs in order to let the weight go

Since you are going by the book then you know that bandsters average 1-2 pounds of weight per week. You were banded 12/30 so in 32 days (4 1/2 weeks) you've lost 9 pounds...which is 2 pounds a week, spot on.

Without restriction, no less. I think you need to adjust your expectations. You're blue and setting yourself up to fail when in fact you are progressing along perfectly!

If you think of it logically and still feel disappointed, call your surgeon. Perhaps an appt. with a nutritionist will help. But realize that at your age, with no restriction, losing 2 pounds a week is a good rate.

Sounds to me like your right on track. Losing two pounds a week is average and thank-goodness you are not gaining weight. Your doing a great job. When you get your first fill you might have some restriction or you might not; everyone is different with their fills.

Just be patient with yourself. You will get there. Remember it is a journey to goal not a mad rush. Besides you are exercising and playing by the Band Rules, you will do great!

Take care and be kind to yourself, your body is still in recovery mode.:tongue2:

Edited by TQUAD64

Just remember that the period between surgery and your first fill is for healing - not weight loss. Most doctors consider any weight loss at this point to just be a bonus. Once the fills start you can focus more on weight loss. But remember, most people do not get much restriction from their first fill - some do - most don't. It can take 2, 3, 4 or even more fills to achieve satisfactory restriction. Most surgeons fail to tell this to their patients - who normally end up believing there is something wrong with their band because it isn't "working."

The period before getting fills is also coined, "bandster hell." That's because the band is in place, but is empty - and the patient's hunger comes screaming back once the surgery swelling subsides. To lose weight during this period takes extreme self control. Even then, some people actually gain.

Focus on the long term goal, let the pouch heal, learn to make better food choices, get exercising when your doctor allows, and drink plenty of Water.

It's gets easier as time goes on.

Brad

I think you're doing really well!

Over time, too, you get fitter and are able to undertake a much more intense exercise routine, which can make a big difference.

It isn't easy when you are first banded, especially since you haven't had a fill yet. I strongly suggest you log your food/drinks on dailyplate.com, fitday.com or some other place so you can get an accurate daily calorie count. Many times when we are first banded, we consume TOO FEW calories. You should shoot for 1000-1200 probably. I do 1200-1500 per day.