Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newb needs male perspective!!!!

Hey all ive been Lurking around this site for about a month now. Thats when i finally convinced my mom that this is the right road for me to go down. I'm Currently in college and my goal is to graduate as a whole new person. I'm about 5,11 and today after avoiding scales for about a year LOL i found out that i weighed 376!!! i was totally shocked. I used to be on the defensive line for my football team so i hide it really well. well actually hid it really well when i moved to college junk food took over and all that nice muscle turned into flab ive been dieting since i was young and nothing really works or only for a little while so i did the research and a band looked like the right choice for me. I already started the process with the doctor visits and starting my medical plan and stuff so whish, me luck..

The reason i'm making this thread because alot of people are saying that what a guy goes through and girl goes through with the band is different and i couldn't find another thread that talked about.

So i got some uestion for guys but girls can post too

1.Is it true that guys loes the weight quicker?

2.Is it also true that our Skin snaps back better?

3. Does it affect sex life?

4. What kind excercises and stuff are good?

5.will the band affect weight lifting....i mean like real power lifting....used to be able to bench 250....such a long time ago tears..tears lol

6.Does the excess skin ruin sex life?

7. anything else that you think would be helpfull to guys

8. Can you still drink beer and alcohol?

9. Is it worth it?

10. What is the hardest part?

i know some of the wuestions are wierd but i know alot of guys think it so i'm just trying help out

thx in advance

what up scoopvi. congrats on steppin in the rite direction. the band was def the rite choice for me. i got the band done june 20, '08. i started at 335 lbs and now im sittin at 210. i wouldnt really agree with the guys loose faster than women, i just think its alot bout the attiitude u have after surgery. ive met a few chicks that have lost as much or more than me. but i met this one girl (and like may other guys and girls that arent happy with their loss) was complainin bout not loosin the weight that she had hoped for, and all the while she poppin a pre-packaged frozen hamburer in the microwave. haha, that aint gonna cut it. i really dont see any signs of needin any plastic surgery, just a few stretch marks. self confidence is at an altime high and def helps with the sex life, not to mention sex drive is thru the roof. i revert back to alot of my high school football workouts and havent lifted anything heavy yet, but just doin alot of reps, and i do some sort of abs between every set(alot of abs). i live bout 1.2 miles from the gym, so i get my girl to drop me off and jog home for my cardio. i get bout 3-4 days a week in the gym and sat and sun mornin i just jog to the gym and back no workout just cardio. the biggest thing that ive done was changin how i ate. eatin healthy, u learn is so much more enjoyable than the junk food. especially when u see the lbs melt off, and u get to experience how that kind of food truely makes u feel better. it was hard for the first few weeks, but i figured i put, and paid, for a foreign body round my stomach. im goin to do what is needed to make it work. it changed my view not just on eatin rite, but livin a completely healthy lifestyle. ive had no problems besides the every now and then, and pretty uncomfortable, gettin stuck thing. but i dont regret a thing, and im happy with my decision. good luck and hope it all works out

Well I haven't had my band long so I cant answer a lot of the questions, but what I can answer is that after surgery and the following weeks I am not allowed to lift weights until my doctor gives me the "okay" at the checkup. I use to power-lift in high school and had recently gotten back into it a year ago. I was benching 360 last year, but I'll tell you it took a lot of time and hard work that I wouldn't go back that route and instead I'm going to go with a more traditional weightlifting routine using high reps such as 6x20's as opposed to 4x5's. The high reps help with burning calories and will help with getting cut as opposed to bulking with the high weight low rep. I eat a lot healthier now, I feel that I am gaining more confidence as I lose weight and I'm walking 2.5 miles everyday so it will still take dedication and sweat but it is definitely worth it.