Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op and lots of tummy problems

I was banded 5 days ago and I'm on a liquid diet still. I do get about 60 grams of Protein through Isopure Protein drinks, as well as broth, sugar free Jello, and Water.

My only complaint is that I have frequent bouts of slimy diarhea (sorry to be so graphic). Of course, I also have lots of gas.

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be or how to remedy this situation? Or is it just a normal part of the post-op experience?

Edited by grammycoach

My surgeon's NP told me the diarrhea was a side effect of the anesthesia and it would go away in a week to 10 days (and it did) The gas will also improve as you heal. Some use Gax X but I didn't...Sometimes I'd curl up on my left side and draw my knees up to my chest and that would help me pass it.

The gas really does get better over time. You might always burp a little more than you used to, but it's not so bad.

I got banded on 1/15 and have not gone poop. However, as for the gas, I was drinking the Isopure and noticed that that was making my gas much worse. Once I switched to the cream Protein Shakes (full liquids) it made a big difference. Also, the artificial sweetener in the sf Jello gives gas.

I got banded on 1/15 and have not gone poop. .

If you haven't already seen your surgeon, please call tomorrow and let them know you haven't had a bowel movement since 1/15. 8 days is a long time to not go, even with the austere post op diet so many of us are on.

Your surgeon may want you to take something, or may not be concerned at all, but we were told we should go within 3-4 days. Since I had diarrhea it wasn't an issue for me, but they asked about it even at my 6 day post op appt .... it's a potential problem, especially if you are taking opiod pain killers.

RestlessMonkey...thank you for the advice. I have been thinking about the same thing myself.

However, I was sick to my stomach for 4 days preop (had the runs from a Subway Sandwich). Then I did not eat for 2 days because my band was to tight and they had to go back in on 1/16 and unhook it. I did not have any broth until the 17th and it was Clear liquids until yesterday. I am passing gas now but I am going to take something tomorrow if I don't go. If after that I don't go I will call. I really don't think I have much in there to go.

Have you thought of trying Probiotics? They have capsules that you can open up and mix with Water or juice or whatever. "Culturelle" is the brand I have, found in the laxitive/imodium section at the drug store. I did that my first week after surgery and haven't had any issues. I figured they couldn't hurt. The gas-x was doing NOTHING for me. Could be coincidence but it might be worth a try.

OneHotMama...Thank you for your suggestion. I will look into it. I also thought about the yogurt drinks. Tomorrow I am going to take some of the stuff the doctor had me take preop. Just 1/2 a dose. It was very mild and maybe that will kick start me. I am a classroom teacher and just went back to work today. I would take it tonight but I don't want it to kick in during a time when I can't leave the classroom.

You know I love this website...Such great information and such great people.

Unless you're somewhere where the docs work on Saturday...why not call tomorrow and just ask what they recommend? (our doc told us if we didn't go to CALL HIM and ask...not just take "whatever")

Your doc may not be so finicky but just in case?

I know you think there isn't much to go, but something should be happening down there, believe me, even if it's just liquid. I was Clear Liquids (not even protein) post op and prior to that I'd been having shakes and 3 oz Fish each day is all....(and fish has no Fiber in it! LOL) and I still went, which is normal. You don't want a problem so safest to just call tomorrow and find out what they recommend. Better safe than sorry, right? :tt2:

Yeah...I went. It wasn't much but it was a good amount and a good consistency. I'll tell you I am glad because it was kind of worrying me.