Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need prayers... possible slip...

Hey guys,

Well, I am a worried mess right now, and am trying not to be a basket case. I have been experiencing random tightness for a few weeks... it goes away, and then comes back. I attributed it to the band, being a fickle thing. And then last week, I got ridiculously tight. Couldn't eat hardly anything, but then, random things would go down like bologna, so I tried not to panic. I am now tight enough that only warm liquids are going down for the most part... It is a terrible feeling, and I am HIGHLY concerned that my band has slipped. I am scheduled for an upper GI tomorrow morning, at which point I will see my surgeon and hopefully all I'll need is an unfill... optimistically.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE say a short prayer for me. I am just sick about this. Worried as ever. As self-pay, my options are not as open as people who have regular insurance coverage for bariatric surgery, so there are a lot of considerations...

I am saying a little prayer right now. Good luck and let us know what the doctor says.

OMG! I'm worried for you. I said a prayer just a few minutes ago for you. I hope it is something simple like an unfill and then good to go. Best of luck, please keep us posted. By the way congrats on the wonderful weight loss and getting to goal!!!

I will say a prayer for you as well. Best of luck with your upper GI tomorrow.

I had a problem like this and I found out it was stomach swelling after a pb that kept leading to more swelling - it wasn't a slip but I was scared to death that it was. They gave me a slight unfill for about a month to allow my stomach to heal and I was able to eat immediately after the unfill. The relief was immense at not only knowing it wasn't a slip but that I would be good as knew in a couple of weeks.

If it is a slip, many minor slips can be treated by staying unfilled for some time. I know it is hard not to think that this is the end of banding and go into a panic . . . but there is a good chance it may not be as serious as that. Stress also affects band tightness, and if you are scared about what is happening to the band it might be contributing to the situation.

My fill doctor also said that over all the years the only true slips she had dealt with were people that had to bring a cup with them in the office to spit their saliva into. The fact that warm liquids are going down is promising as well.

One thing my fill doctor suggested is to use children's liquid motrin and it will reduce the swelling and to stay on liquids for a few days if it ever happens again. She said that one of the mistakes I made was to keep trying regular food again too quickly, causing me to pb which caused additional swelling in my stomach. I absolutely must go on liquids for a couple of days if this situation ever occurs again.

liquid children's motrin is usually not approved for bandsters but she said that it reduces the swelling and it is OK on a very occasionally basis for a specific situation such as this. She also said to drink something immediately afterwards to help flush it through . . . I used hot tea. You might want to call and ask if it is OK to do this to help get a little relief in the mean time.

Good luck.

Thanks for the good wishes....

Heather, I've taken your advice. I have taken the liquid Motrin, and will continue to take it until I have my consult with my band doc on Monday. It is awhile to have to wait, but I am going to remain on liquids till then. I have decided no more 'testing myself' on foods... I have V8 (which I HATE, but will drink hot, like Tomato soup), V8 splash, gatorade, hot teas, hot chocolate, assorted puddings and yogurts, and some baby foods like pear-pineapple, apples and blueberries, etc. I am also taking a multi as well as an Iron tablet since none of my foods have much Iron. I am also allowing one 'chewy' food... Cheetos. Bandsters far and wide know Cheetos are their own food variety and are the only thing I can get the 'chewing sensation' from, and know that they turn to liquid. :thumbup:

Thanks for your optimism. I feel so much BETTER today, and it must be because of the liquids only. Not 'trying' foods is really making a difference cause of the no pain and lack of PBing. With the Motrin, my Upper GI should yield better results as well. :smile:

Update: I had my upper GI and saw my surgeon. Band is FINE. Thank GOD. They could not even see inflammation in the upper GI, probably due to the Motrin. I may have a SMALL ulcer, but that can be fixed with some Prilosec, no problem! My doc said that the Motrin is doing fine for the inflammation, so he said to continue on Prilosec for a few days, and gave me an unfill of .4ccs. He thinks that will do the trick. He said to go out to dinner tonight and (lol) Celebrate with STEAK. He was just kidding, but it was good to hear I should be able to eat again.... I am ELATED. :thumbup:

I am so glad to hear the good news.