Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have a date for plastic surgery

Hi All-Stars,

I've posted in the cosmetic surgery forum but also wanted to let you know that I saw the plastic surgeon that my bariatric surgeon recommended this morning, and after a lovely long consultation, I'm booked in to have a Torso Lift on the 2nd of April.

I had hoped that a simply TT would be sufficient, but as I have loose skin on my hips and back as well as my stomache, the PS suggested a Torso Lift for the best result. So I'm having a 'ring-bark' incision to remove the hanging skin from my tummy, hips and back, plus he's removing the skin on my upper tummy and is knitting my stomache muscles together, to get a trimmer look.

So I'm on the countdown to the 2nd April now. I asked about having to be unfilled, and yes, I will be unfilled one week prior to surgery, and then refilled typically while I'm still recovering in hospital. So I'll be unfilled basically only for a week or two.

The PS also reckons I easily have about 4kgs of skin to remove (about 9lbs) so this will take me to goal, or less if I'm at goal by my surgery date.

So this is it, the last 'leg' to goal and the maintenance phase for me. Wish me luck, guys!

I was banded on August 14th . How have you lost so much weight so fast? I have lost only around 30 lbs? Lost of excersize, what is it you eat?

Carol

Hi carcol,

I do exercise actually - about 4 times a week on average (though I haven't done any this week due to hurting my foot) and at intensities where I sweat bucketloads. I do think this has been the main reason for my consistent weight loss.

As for what I eat - I don't calorie count or do low carbs, I just eat far less than I used to now than when I didn't have the band, and that seems to have worked for me. I also listen to my body and when I start to get hungry more often, I make sure I get filled - in fact my appetite has increased in the last week - which is not good considering I haven't been exercising much either - so have made an appt for another fill in early Feb.

I will be!! Lol! I hope to be in a drug induced fog for the first week at least. :(

lello,

Wow - I have not even thought about PS yet and here you are making a surgery date!

I work out 3-4 days a week as well, but have not seen as good a result as you have. I know everyone is different, but I want this off me now! LOL.

You don't have much in your band either which is wonderful. Good luck and yes - take lots of pain meds.

gilta,

you're doing an awesome job, in fact much better than me! I had less to lose to get to goal (which is a weight of 70kgs, something my Dr has set, and is at a BMI of 26). So while I haven't actually done as well as you have, I got to the point where I can look at plastic surgery quicker as a result.

Also have some good news - my finance has been approved! So the surgery is going ahead for the 2nd of April!

My new weight loss goal is to be at 68kgs by that date (despite what the Dr thinks!) So 6kgs in 9 weeks!

I am surprised by the BMI 26 which in US is considered overweight. I would only need to lose 24 lbs, and maybe that would be good!

Thanks for the nice note, I hate plateau's! I need to get my head in the game again.

Re BMIs, my Dr explained that BMIs were created by insurance companies for assessing people for insurance, and tended to be unforgiving. Which is why it doesn't take into account muscle mass, fat percentage etc. It's a simple calculation of weight vs height, which means a heavily muscled body builder with a fat percentage of 20% would be considered 'obese'. There is no room for variation.

He said that in general, a healthy weight should be measured in fat percentage (mine is currently about 35%) and in how the weight LOOKS on you. And looking at me, he thinks I should be around 70kg (BMI 26) or at the very very lowest, 68kg (BMI 25ish).

And I kinda agree with him. So my goal is 68kgs (5.5kgs less than I am now). I think anything less than that, and I honestly won't look good. I actually think I would look thinner than average even now, if not for my excess skin.

That makes so much sense. There's an AWFUL lot of skinny fat pepople around - people who's BMI's are acceptable but they're obviously not in good shape and not well muscled, have very little fitness.

We've had some huge arguments here about not losing all your weight right down to a healthy BMI - but there are people who naturally carry much more muscle and are curvier - I'm someone who needs to be a low BMI - like 20 or below would suit me because my frame is quite narrow, my musculature is small and tight, not curvier and any fat on me simply hangs under the skin and gives that flabby appearance, not curviness. Other people carry the weight much better, becuase its not fat, its muscle.

I can tell from your photo that a lower BMI would suit you, Jacqui. :thumbup: In my case, when I was last 65kgs (at 16 years of age, I think) my head looked huge for my body, my shoulders looked like a linebackers on this skinny body and I looked, well, sunken in. I had no muscle definition at all, and my family used to hound me unendlessly to eat more because I looked so skeletal.

I still see skinny people who look 'softer' than me now. I don't want thin arms that have no muscle, or have pencil thin thighs. I want to look fit, and I think I'm close to that now, if not for the excess skin. You can see my ribs clearly when I'm naked, I have only a marginally high fat percentage (for a woman), and I believe that a lot of my weight now is muscle, and not fat.

Plus I am a D cup on top, and have an ample backside, and broad shoulders, so I am naturally curvey, which TBH I quite like and wouldn't want to give up.

So a BMI of about 25-26 is where I think I'll be happy to be right now. My plastic surgery should remove about 4kgs of skin, and that should take me right into that weight range. :thumbup:

Edited by lellow

Congrats on your progress Lellow! Are you enjoying this summer more than last? I can't wait until our summer comes rolling around!

Brad