Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it worth it to start liquids a week early if Doc doesn't require..

it? My doctor has no pre-surgery diet other than 24 hours in advance and taking impact advantage drinks every day. I'm wondering if it would be helpful for me to start the full liquid diet now (surgery is Monday 26th) if for nothing else then to just get used to the idea and maybe reduce my liver a bit. Is there any reason to not do this?

Thanks!

Christy

I was banded on the 14th and my doc did not require a pre-op diet either. I didn't put myself on a full liquid diet before the surgery, but I did do it partially and ate as if I were already banded.....I lost 8 pounds in the process. I was also going to the gym everyday. I think it is a good thing to do so you won't pull your system into shock all at once. Good luck to you.....

Hi again Christy ;-)

My surgeon does require a 14-day pre op liquid diet, and I have to say, it is certainly helping me get in the mindset for surgery--it is testing my ability to commit to a plan, and I think it will help me stay focused in the gradual build up to regular foods after surgery. So I am all for it. Plus, I'm down 10lbs already (on day 5 of liquid diet), so I'm feeling good physically and mentally, which should help with recovery.

I'm from the school of why suffer if you don't have to. It's not easy just consuming liquids every day but I can't imagine that, for a short time, it will hurt you but call your doc to make sure (because we're all different). The one drawback I can see is if you find it too hard, you may set yourself up for failure post op. You know yourself best. If you think you need the practice (or just want that extra "insurance" for your liver!) and the doc clears you, then good luck! :)

I was thinking about this after blogging yesterday. In my blog I was thinking about how much I was eating out more and kinda going through a "last meal" type mindset. I know from watching my husband (he was banded last month) that eating out is not a big hassle after surgery (other then me being done before him, LOL), so there was really no reason for that type of thinking.

I appreciate your input. Thanks guys!

Christy

it? My doctor has no pre-surgery diet other than 24 hours in advance and taking impact advantage drinks every day. I'm wondering if it would be helpful for me to start the full liquid diet now (surgery is Monday 26th) if for nothing else then to just get used to the idea and maybe reduce my liver a bit. Is there any reason to not do this?

Thanks!

Christy

If you diet the week before, you will reduce the size of your liver and make things much easier for your doctor. I would go on a low carb diet for 5 days and 2 days of liquid. This will reduce the liver significantly.

Like Texasweb, my doc told me it made the surgery easier. The liver shrinks somewhat as does some of the fat around the stomach with a crash-type diet like this. Personally, I'm all for anything that makes the surgery go better, but by the 4th week post op I was dying for something to chew. Do whatever you think is going to help you transition to life with a band.

Thanks!

Christy

Once I had an approval letter from the insurance company stating they would pay for my band procedure, I placed myself on a liquid replacement meal. This was before the doctor placed me on the two week pre-op diet. I wanted to get a jump start on the process and I wanted to train my mind to accept less calories.

I read enough threads on this forum about bandster hell, so I thought I better prep myself for it ahead of time. So, instead of having lunch, I had broth and crystal light. It was really hard, because I had huge Portion Control issues and loved to snack. And when I found I was still hungry before the next meal, I had more broth. It was really hard, but I made myself do it anyway.

Good luck!

My surgeon put me on a two week liquid diet prior to surgery. At first I was like there's no way I am going to be able to do this but I did and I am grateful for it. I am 9 days post-op on full liquid diets and while I am hungry it's not the he** that others spoke about. I did not cheat on the pre-op because I wanted make 100% sure that my liver would shrink and make it easier. I lost 12 pounds in the pre-op liquid phase. I have not cheated either on the post-op clear/full liquid diet. I have lost too much weight to go back and ruin everything that I worked so hard for. I was last weighed on the 14th and I lost another 6 pounds.

I wish you the best and personally I would not have a "last supper" but that's just my opinion. If you have a nutritionist ask them what you can do prior to surgery since your surgeon does not require anything. There are also other posts on here that talk about the pre-op liquid diet and what others have done so maybe you can find something that will help you.

My doc did not require it. Therefore, I did not do a liquid fast. My surgery went smoothly and there were no issues.

I can see the benefits of doing it if you are truly motivated. But if you don't have to, I can also understand not doing it, and then just adapting post-operatively to the liquid/soft diet.