Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LOWER BMI's 2009

Hello to all you low BMI's.

I have had my band for alomst 6 months and agree with band groupies outlook on diet and life. I followed my dr's intruction during the liquid/mushy stage but after that you have to figure it out yourself. I do not cut food groups out unless my band cant cope with them. If i want bread then i will eat half a sandwich just not the 8 slices of toast with butter and Peanut Butter i would before.

I am 25 i still go out with my friends and get drunk like any other 25 year old, i will not deny myself things that normal people do because i think you have just carried on with your obsession.

Hey all. Just chiming in w/ my hopes of being a lower bmi bandster in 2009! I am almost done w/ all of the pre-op stuff and then the doc will submit to the insurance company.

Haven't had any negative experiences with anyone saying I am not "fat enough" for the surgery. Though a few of the pre-op providers that my surgeon has referred me to have commented that I was smaller than most of the patients my surgeon refers to them. Family and friends all seem to be on board :cursing: which is all that really matters.

Hello to all you low BMI's.

I have had my band for alomst 6 months and agree with band groupies outlook on diet and life. I followed my dr's intruction during the liquid/mushy stage but after that you have to figure it out yourself. I do not cut food groups out unless my band cant cope with them. If i want bread then i will eat half a sandwich just not the 8 slices of toast with butter and Peanut Butter i would before.

I am 25 i still go out with my friends and get drunk like any other 25 year old, i will not deny myself things that normal people do because i think you have just carried on with your obsession.

so you haven't had any problems that i hear on the site about never eating bread again etc....is there anything you find your stomach can not take?

I've noticed I'm becoming scared that this might actually work! Which creates a whole new set of anxieties but I've been getting worried about people who say they can never drink soda again or alcohol or bread. I thought it just shrunk your stomach so you couldn't eat as much of things

Hi all~I just saw your group and wanted to jump in.

I'm not banded yet, I've gone through orientation, surgeon and psych appts. I was recommended from my primary b/c I have so many other health problems.

Anyway, I started at 203 and my doc wants me at >190 lbs before surgery. This has been the hardest 10 lbs I've ever tried to loose. Did any of you have anything like this? I'm also interested in what you think about people thinking you could have just done it on your own.

I really want to do this and I don't want to wait until I'm 250+ to do something about it. And hopefully I'll be in better health.

Thanks for listening,

Jes

Had my sleep study last night. I am a little bummed that the technician did not have to come in during the study to put me on a cpap. I am taking that to mean I have no apnea. Odd to wish for a health problem, but I was kind of counting on apnea to be my qualifying co-morbidity so that I would qualify under my insurance. The technician said there are all kinds of things in the study that the doc will look at. So maybe something will still come of it, but I am not feeling too posistive about it :smile:

so you haven't had any problems that i hear on the site about never eating bread again etc....is there anything you find your stomach can not take?

I've noticed I'm becoming scared that this might actually work! Which creates a whole new set of anxieties but I've been getting worried about people who say they can never drink soda again or alcohol or bread. I thought it just shrunk your stomach so you couldn't eat as much of things

Not really, there are a few things like soda, sausages and lamb which i cant eat. chicken, bread and Pasta i can eat but only very small amounts...im sure there are other things which i cant think of right now.

However it may be that you cant eat bread after you have been banded you will just have to wait and see. The band has changed the way i look at food completley, it does not hold the same appeal as it used to, i eat because im hungry and if i want something then a tiny ammount satisfies me. When i first got the band you get head hunger and the same emotional issues where you want to eat but because its so much work you get to the stage where you just cant be bothered and its easier to find another way to deal with your problems.

Hi everyone!

TSB, don't worry about not having to put on a CPAP. When I had my sleep study, I just knew that they were going to say that I was fine. But the results came back that I have mild OSA. So you never know.

I had my final appointment today. I have gained 5 pounds since starting this journey. The doc said that he will submit the paperwork to insurance today or tomorrow. I am nervous. What if they dont approve me because I gained weight? I have a million things running through my head at this point and i am going to remain hopeful.

Hi everyone!

I had my final appointment today. I have gained 5 pounds since starting this journey. The doc said that he will submit the paperwork to insurance today or tomorrow. I am nervous. What if they dont approve me because I gained weight? I have a million things running through my head at this point and i am going to remain hopeful.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you, MZ!

I too have gained weight since starting the process. 214 to 217 as of 05/22/2009. I went for my nutrition group class Friday. I get weird looks from the other patients, most of which are a lot heavier than myself. I felt a brief moment of guilt, but I cannot compare myself nor should they. Granted I am blessed to be at this point im my life where I am trying to make a change before my weight is truly out of control. I worry that although I am a big girl...I am not fat enough for insurance approval. 217 lbs and I am not even 5'5". I am stuffed in a short body. I have one more nutrition meeting in June and an EKG...then I meet with the surgeon in July. If my insurance approves the surgery...it will be late July or August. I hope you all get approved. I am too broke to even entertain being s self-pay patient!

Hi band75-

I get the same looks as you when I go to my appoinments. I haven't been to a counseling session yet, I plan on going on Tuesday- we will see what the reaction is. I see that you live in Maryland- I live in Columbia and I am seeing Dr. Von Rueden. Where do you live and who do you see?

Hi Mzpotter,

I am having my surgery at Sinai in Northwest Baltimore City. I live in Northeast Baltimore County. I am still trying to figure out how I'm going to get the surgery logistically. I cannot ask for help because no one knows and my husband works crazy hours. I thought about saving my money and getting a nurse for a few hours. I experienced very painful gas with my other surgeries and could not do very much...plus now I have a VERY active three year old. I think that I have gained weight because I am afraid. food has been a constant source of companionship. When things are bad and I feel alone, I'll stop by my favorite restaurants and have a feast for one. I know that in the upcoming months I will have to find alternative ways to cope with my issues and that is what scares me. I remember when my daughter first came home from the hospital, I would eat a bucket of snickerdoodles almost everyday. She cried a lot and I would try to sooth her, but nothing helped. I think from then on I relied on food to get me through the rough times. I realize that my issues may be more diffucult, so I am trying to work on them now. I use my postings as a form of therapy. Good luck with approval process!

Hi Everyone, I got a surgery date today!!! We are looking at June 18th. :crying: I am happy, of course they still have to submit to ins to get approval- which makes me a little nervous, my BMI is 37.7- that in conjunction with 3 co-morbities makes the doc feel good about getting approved. On the flipside, the doc suggested that I go for the bypass surgery. He says that in his experience, patients who have a sweet-tooth do better with bypass because of the whole dumping syndrome, etc. And the port area can get infected, etc. I have until the 15th of June to decide. I am not sure what to do. What do you all suggest?

Yesterday at my pcp appointment my bmi was 38. I'm 5'4" and 216.5 I convinced my pcp to get me the letter of med neccesary and then I called the surgeon office to sign up for the semminar she said my insurance wouldn't cover me and won't even let me attend the semminar. I called my insurance and they told me to have my pcp send for a prior authorization and send his letter to the insurance co. It takes 48-72 hours to get approved or turned down. I'm at a brick wall now. If my insurance won't cover it, no way can I be a self pay. I'm really upset now. I was really counting on this. It's not like I have gained 20 lbs and want to lose it. I have been overweight all my life with a 40 yr history of loss and gain diets. I don't want to wait until I get so overweight that the surgery would be a huge health risk to even have it done. With a low bmi did you all have to go through all the 6 months of testing and appointments? Or does that depend on the doctor. Did your insurance cover the appointments and testing? thanks for listening and pray for me that the insurance can see in favor of the surgery for me. Deb

Deb,

I've found that my surgeon's office (person that handles approvals/deals with them every day) knew more about my insurance coverage for this than some of the ins. co. people I talked to. So I wouldn't proceed without more information as it may mess you up for appeals later if you need them. I know you want this answer fast, but take a few days to get your ducks in a row.

I couldn't tell from what you said whether your call to insurance confirmed that you do have a bariatric policy or if they just gave you a general answer for approval times. So I'm not sure you've done this, but the first step is to get a copy of your insurance policy bariatric coverage. Call them and ask for it today; they can fax it to you (mine directed me how to print it online). Every policy is different depending on what coverage your employer bought so it will be hard for you to find someone here with the exact same thing (I have BCBS and coverage is different state to state and even within areas of the same state).

If you do have bariatric coverage then look at the requirements carefully. Most people with a BMI between 35-40 (you and I) have to meet extra requirements than those over 40BMI. I had to follow a 6 mo. diet (some more, some less) and exercise program with monthly visits/documentation from my PCP. I also had to have at least one (some need more) of the 5 big comorbidities (your policy will probably only list examples, but these are the only ones that usually count: diabetes Type II, hypertension, sleep apnea, obesity related heart problems, high cholesterol) and I had to show medical treatment for it (I take meds for hypertension). My PCP letter of medical neccessity had to say certain things and your surgeon's office can help with what that is.

Your policy/insurance company should also be able to tell you exactly what your coverage should be. Mine covered a percentage of everything and then once I met my deductable for the year they covered 100% (surgery cost me about $2000 plus some med costs total).

Send me a PM if you have any more questions and good luck on this! -BG

Band-groupie...

Thanks for your reply. The first thing I did was contact the ins. co for their policy. They mailed me a copy that same day. I have mild sleep apena bp and very high cholostrol, inconidence(spell) all of which the surgeons office said didn't count. Guess I'll just in a holding pattern on the runway waiting for takeoff!!!!! I'll pm you after work with more questions. thanks again for listening, just needed a little reasurance today. btw I have cdphp insurance. Deb