Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How forthcoming are you to people when they ask what you did to lose weight?

You are losing weight? "yes i am"; what are you doing, "Eating smaller eating right working out just about everyday".

If they ask further i will tell them i had lap band surgery and remind them how much difficulty i had walking wit the pain in my knees. If they are overweight i answer questions. usually i get "well keep it up you look good".

THere are some snide ones, but i pay them no mind, because as someone else said they'll be talking about me anyway - HATERS. lol.

I've gotten a collegue to see my surgeon she was so excited with my progress, so i like having helped someone along their journey. - gig

Thank you for your responses! I am normally very open with details of my life but I don't want people thinking "she took the easy way out" (which we all know is a load of cr*p). I am doing this for my future health, so I won't develop health problems I was sure to encounter at the rate I was going. I told my parents, my sister-in-law (but not the rest of my in-laws), and several of my close friends and two ladies at my exercise place (one of which had GB). Many people have been commenting on my pre-op weight loss. I figure by telling people diet and exercise, it is telling the truth.

I told my family and close friends. My situation is different in that I work on the unit that specializes in WLS. I told a few people that I can trust, but I just don't want to be scrutinized during my journey. It is tough enough dealing with my ups and downs without everyone at work watching my every move.

How do you answer when people ask, "What did you do to lose so much weight?" Do you tell them about the WLS or do you say diet and exercise? All of my good friends know that I'm having the surgery done but what about acquaintances? I'm not ashamed I'm having the surgery but I also don't want people I don't know very well (who aren't going through WLS) knowing the details.

There is only one person I told about my surgery (my sister) and I only told her in case something went terribly wrong on the operating table. Even my baby brother who took me to the hospital had no idea nor did he pry about what type of surgery I was having. (He dropped me off at the hospital and I told him to go home after I checked in at the front counter).

My weight loss has been slow and gradual, which was one reason why I picked this procedure. People at work are now recognizing and commenting on my weight loss. I tell them that I track calories, exercise like crazy, and see a nutritionist...All of which is very true!

Every situation is different. the snide comments come no matter what. Once , pre WLS I lost many # s and was still 50 # overweight. and some peer was concerned I was losing too much weight!! The doom and gloom sayers- the ones who say you don't want it bad enough - haven't been there. Have one coworker who has lost over #100l and has 30 # to go ( for the last several months) She tells everyone to do it here way ( BTW, she ate a whole fruitcake at Christmas so it'll come back.:lol:)

Although I don't just go around introducing myself by saying, "Hi! My name is "cierra'sgrandma" and I had lap-band surgery.", I DO, when asked, tell people about my surgery, and I'm not at all shy to talk about it. Having this surgery was one of the most important decisions I've ever made, and I absolutely don't regret it!:cursing: I've gone from 310 pounds to 236 pounds {so far}. {Banded on February 6th, 2008.} As a matter-of-fact, I'm thinking about designing a t-shirt that says something to the effect, "Ask me about Lap-Band surgery!", and add before and after pictures.:lol:

It's been so long since I was in "losing mode" that people have forgotten that I was ever fat. But when I was still losing, and people asked, I shared.

I am glad I did, because I ended up in a magazie a couple of years ago, and it would have been awkward if I had lied.

I must say at the begining I did not want to share my surgery with anyone other than family and friends. Usually when people said something about my weight loss, I would brush it off and say I had a long way to go. Now people are really noticing and asking more about what I am doing. I usually tell them about the band, There are so many people with questions about the band, for either themself or a LOVED one.. someone they care about and are concerned about. I will share my story as education. One lady I work with is now in the process of getting the band and another one that is going to go to orentation. At this point, I dont care who knows I had the band, and I really dont care what they say or think. I AM HEALTHIER and changed my life for the better.

Lois

I am not embarassed of having the surgery. I am a private person though to people I am not very close to. My family knows, My inlaws know, and my friends know... That's all.

When someone says wow what did you do to lose all the weight. I first say Thanks! Because it's a compliment that they noticed and are acknowleding your efforts.

Secondly I say it's all about Portion Control and a little exercise doesn't hurt.

The band provides me the portion control and the exercise is all me :laugh:

It depends. If someone is just plain rude and nosey, I just skirt around the issue. If it's someone I'm bound to run into again, I usually say Portion Control and exercise. which is the truth. Total stangers that I have no reason to hide anything from, I tell the truth. I kept it secret for a long time, but someone from work announced it at a luncheon in front of the entire group. I was LIVID!!!! so the cats out of the bag at work..... I'm basically a normal person, eating normally, so the subject doesn't come up as much anymore.

Well I am a nurse in a physician's office so lots of people see me on a daily basis. I tell anyone who asks me how I am losing the weight that I had lapband surgery. The doctor I work for asked me if I minded if she told the patients who were thinking about the surgery that I had it done and if they had questions to ask me. I don't mind at all. I share with them all my experiences. I have thrown so much business to the surgeon who did my surgery ...he needs to give me a kick back for all the business hee hee

haha I love this topic. I am telling NO ONE! :-) Only my husband knows and I'm glad to keep it that way.

I am only 4 days post op but already have my story down. I'm just telling people that I'm back on a strict eating plan for a while, one that will allow me to get rid of my sugar/salt cravings and cleanse my body a bit. This does well for the liquid portion of my lapband diet. after I'm able to eat solids, my story will be that I've given up all alcohol for a while, as those are just liquid calories. I'm also telling them that I'm working with a weight loss coach and have been inspired by Oprah's weight regain show to get back on the wagon. I lost a lot of weight on a fast 2 years ago and gained some weight back, so people will understand while I'm being so hard core.

People know that I'm really into cycling so I have that going for me. In fact I plan on doing Waves to Wine 150 mile bike tour this year. When they ask why I'm not eating or drinking a lot I'll just say that I'm on fire with my diet and dont want to end up diabetic like my mom. All these things are true so I have no problem keeping the band from them. As far as I'm concerned anything is better than telling them I have the band.

I always say I diet and excerise plus I had lap band surgery. I know that if not, some small minded people will say 'I know that she did not loose all that weight with diet and excerise alone. She lost too much too fast. She must be sick or on drugs or something'. People can be so stupid at times so I let them know upfront so they will know the truth.

I tell everyone. My thing is this: 98% of people who lose weight put it back on within 5 years. I don't want someone to look at me and wonder what I did to 'beat' that statistic. I want them to know there are options out there for the long run, but they are not for everyone. If people want to pass judgment, then so be it. I'm still the one walking around in my size 8's. :)

I tell everyone I had lapband surgery I am so proud of this. I struggled for the past ten years and it's nice to know I finally got help. I am so happy that I made the decision to get this done.