Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can I eat?

I had my surgery on July 15th so I'm 2 weeks and 3 days post-op. Can somebody shed some light as to what they ate at this point. If I look at another liquid I'll die!!!! I need some real food but am affraid of slipage!

I think there is a sticky at the top of this "food" forum that is titled "Food Stages" or something like that - I assume you were given a list of appropriate foods from your doctor? If you didn't get one, make sure you ask your surgeon what he/she wants you to do. You really should follow what YOUR doctor wants. But, to give you an idea of what I'm doing 3 weeks after surgery, here are some ideas: Campbell's Creamy Tomato Soup (new favorite!), potatoe Soup with Bacon Bits, scrambled eggs with a teeny bit of cheddar, Carnation Instant Breakfast No Sugar Added with low carb milk, Protein pudding from health store (though it is easy enough to make your own), mashed potato, chicken salad chopped VERY finely. My doctor suggested tuna salad and egg salad during my 2 week follow up visit - but I don't like those - haha. When I have a craving to chew on something I have been taking a few saltines and chewing them really well....not the best idea, i'm sure, but helps me. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your suggestions!!! I would love to have mashed potatoes!!!! What day did you start eating those foods? You had your surgery 3 days before me so did you wait to the 3 week mark exactly or a few days before. My 3 week mark will be Friday. Can't wait to eat!!!!!

Thanks again!!! My Dr. is pure french and extremely hard to understand. When I went for my consultation, it wasn't that clear. I see him on Thursday for the first time since my surgery. According to him, this is my diet:

Week 1&2: Water, Gatorade, broth, Jello, Popcycles

Week 2&3: Hot Cereal, Strained Cream Soup, Milk, Yogurt, pudding, Milkshake

and carnation instant Breakfast

Week 3&4: Boiled Egg, Soft cheese, Fish, Finely minced chicken, Well cooked

Vegtables, Non-strained Soups, Stew (weird), Well cook Pasta

This is me is serious punishment!! I am on week 2-3 and cannot understand what the difference is between hot Cereal (instant porrage), and mashed potatoes!!! Really! I will discuss what you are eating when I see him on Thursday. I would like to be able to eat some of what you're eating.

Thanks!

Every doctor has different rules. When I got my band, my head was spinning from all the different opinions of what I should or shouldn't eat the first few weeks after surgery.

I put all the suggestions into a blender along with the rules my doctor gave me and the rules from all the other doctors and came out with the following:

Week 1: clear liquid, Jello, tea, popsickles, broth, apple/grape/cranberry juice.

Week 2: cream Soups puree'd in blender, thick juices, Nectars, V8, milk, Protein shakes (no bits of food, puree.)

Week 3: Mashed potatos, cottage cheese, baby food, liverwurst, refried Beans with hot sauce, anything mushy.00000000000000000

Week 4: Start slow with one real food but chew chew chew, slow, slow. If it goes down okay, add one new food at a time so you know what you can tolerate. Naturally, try the softest things first like fish, chicken, steamed veggies, etc.

Easily summarized, one week of clear liquid, one week of thick liquid, one week of mushies, then start trying new foods one at a time.

holy cow.. i need to step back..i have been taking GIANT leaps with my new stomach. I am 6 days post op and been trying bites of baked potato and a bit of tuna and a bite of baked chicken and a few noodles. I have never had more than a few teeny tiny bites and chewed til the cows came home and i have never had any pain or PB or slimes...does this mean my band is only in my head? am I pushing too hard too fast? should i just stick to the broths Protein Shakes and wattery Soups and popcicles that I was on for hte first couple of days?

HELP!! I DONT WANT TO RUIN MY NEW STOMACH!

Guest tawnyday

hey, i'm only 6 days post op too, not that i'm some expert but i'll say our stomachs are still swollen and is too tender to try to digest food right now. i know for me i'm still on clear stuff except Protein Drinks and a starbucks frappucino i had and i can't just swallow anything down like i used to. its some restriction now and i've learned from reading its not cause of the band but from a swollen stomach. so i wouldn't recommend anything but liquids now.

Today is day 4 for me and I had some cream of chicken lowfat Soup made with milk not Water today. I had about 1/4 to 1/2 cup and was full for several hours. I also had an Atkins shake made with ice and some lowfat milk, I made the mistake of drinking it too cold and it was a bit uncomfortable, but better now. I have also had a V-8 and I am going to try some pureed Tomato and red pepper soup from Trader Joe's tomorrow for lunch. (I also bought the yellow squash soup from there also, it is in a carton and has no pieces in it) In a few days I can have mashed potatos, cheese, pureed meat, tuna salad and scrambles eggs. I am going to try egg salad because I hate scrambled eggs and I hate tuna so I bought chicken and turkey both packed in water for the protien based salad. I see the doctor again on friday and I am going to double check on the egg salad thing, also I am allowed ground beef and refried Beans so I am going to ask about pureed chili. I hope your hungar passes or you are able to eat more foods soon~Mandy

I was banded on July 26th too! Last week I went to the doc for my one-week post op and he said to venture to lumpy but not solid food yet. Like, cottage cheese (yuck), scrambled egg beaters, stuff like that. He said that you want to have some food in your stomach, so your not hungry. If we only have liquids, it goes right through. I took him for his word, went home and had a small portion of scrambled egg beaters! Fake eggs, never tasted better ! Yummy.