Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I say to Doctor???

Can anyone help with what I should say to the doctor today about my lack of progress? I have only lost 20 lbs. in 8 mos & YES I exercise regularly & vigorously.

I have expressed my dissatisfaction many times before to the doctor but all he wants to focus on is my diet. IF I COULD CONTROL MY DIET I WOULDN'T NEED THIS BAND! The problem is restriction or lack of it. I finally had the kind of restriction I needed to lose some weight but it became too tight & all the fill had to be removed (11/26) SO I'm starting all over. I think I have 6cc now (still no restriction :thumbup: )but who knows since it seems different each time they fill or remove. Anyway, my issue is that I need a fill but he won't for another 2 weeks & I'm furious that is why I'm going in to talk to him. It has been months since I have lost 1 lb! I had planned on this weight being off by March '09 for my daughter's wedding & don't think I was being unreasonable in my expectations being that I only needed to lose a total of 50 lbs.

Please give me your opinions on what I should say or how to handle this. I'm self-pay so insurance isn't a factor.

Thanks for at least reading my post.

Well, the band just can't control what you put in your mouth, and since not all calories are created equal, that does matter.

I am so sorry for your frustration. Maybe a few sessions with a counselor and/or nutritionist would help get you on track? Having the band alone doesn't result in weight loss, as you have discovered. Its still a lot of work on the head issues.

I wish you the best of luck.

I too am a slow loser. My doctor’s first response is always what are you eating and are you working out. My problem is I’m sensitive to fills. The last 2 fills I’ve had to go back and get some removed. It’s crazy. My doctor’s thoughts were because I’m very short (4’ 10 ½”) that everything is just scrunched together for me. He also said because when I dieted normally I would lose slowly and that plays a part in my weight loss. He won’t give me another fill until I lose 15 pounds due to my sensitivity and this back and forth we play.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

If your doctor is unwilling to work together with you on your fills, I would suggest talking to other doctors. You need to have a doctor who at least understands your frustrations and can help you utilize the band . I agree you have to work at it as well with diet and exercise. I went to counseling to work on my mental issues with food. Can’t say I’m cured but it does help. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Best of luck to you!<o:p></o:p>

Can anyone help with what I should say to the doctor today about my lack of progress? I have only lost 20 lbs. in 8 mos & YES I exercise regularly & vigorously.

I have expressed my dissatisfaction many times before to the doctor but all he wants to focus on is my diet. IF I COULD CONTROL MY DIET I WOULDN'T NEED THIS BAND! The problem is restriction or lack of it. I finally had the kind of restriction I needed to lose some weight but it became too tight & all the fill had to be removed (11/26) SO I'm starting all over. I think I have 6cc now (still no restriction :thumbup: )but who knows since it seems different each time they fill or remove. Anyway, my issue is that I need a fill but he won't for another 2 weeks & I'm furious that is why I'm going in to talk to him. It has been months since I have lost 1 lb! I had planned on this weight being off by March '09 for my daughter's wedding & don't think I was being unreasonable in my expectations being that I only needed to lose a total of 50 lbs.

Please give me your opinions on what I should say or how to handle this. I'm self-pay so insurance isn't a factor.

Thanks for at least reading my post.

well crazycatlady i have questions for you. What doctor perform your procedure? If you are so unhappy with your doc why wont you switch? Do you write down everything you eat? If not you should that way you can refer back to where you may have went wrong. my only other guess would be that you didnt start off really obese and you are 155 now sometimes the body will only lose so much. But you should be happy with yourself. I wish u the best and hope every thing work out. But maybe you should keep a food journal to show your doc instead of telling him. Put some actions into those words you telling him. :)

CrazyCatLady,

I agree with keyke. I am at 149.5 right now and my doctor is telling me that I may be as low as the band will take me. He said I can get the extra 15 pounds off (my goal is 135) but that I would have to diet if off and work at it.

There are many on this board who reach low weights and small sizes, but I've yet to find one who didn't say that they worked their butts off for it, both with food choices and exercise.

Good luck to you! My daughter is getting married May 2010 and I'm already starting to plan! Isn't it exciting!?!

Please don't misunderstand...I have no restriction which to me makes it like not having the band therefore I'm back to relying on my will power which is none. As I stated b/4 if I had restriction the way it is suppose to be I wouldn't be as hungry & more able to make wiser choices & eat less as well. I'm not stupid in that I think I can eat whatever I want just because I have the band. I know better but I also know how it's suppose to feel from when I had my fill at Thanksgiving. It would have been perfect but I stressed out from the holiday/family/cooking, etc. & it swelled on me making it too tight. The doctor on call was not my doc & he was an ass as well & wanted to make sure he wasn't bothered again during the holiday w/e so he completely unfilled me.

I have done all that ya'll have suggested short of seeing a counselor for which I will not. I don't need head work I need restriction.

Edited by crazycatlady

That makes perfect sense. I'd be frustrated as well. What a jerk for giving you a complete unfill. My doc has never done that for my tightness. I definitely suggest you seek out a new doctor or have a serious heart-to-heart withyour current doctor and remind him that you are paying for his services and expect to be treated with a little more courtesy and respect. After all, you are the patient and therfore know what your body (and your band) is telling you. Best of luck with your doctor. I know it's frustrating. I am sure once you get that fill you will be down in no time!

Crazycatlady,

I understand you have no restriction and I'm sorry for that, but you have to see where your doctor is coming from. I mean read HALF of the "problem losing" posts and it's all because they are lazy and eating a bunch of slider foods that are HORRIBLE to eat.

If you make a journal of what you are able to eat, your doctor will see that you are eating correctly, but you're eating too much food and should be happy to give you a fill.

There are so many people with the band that don't do what they are supposed to and just whine the whole time. I bet your doctor is just worried you are one of those. If you have concrete proof that's not the case, I bet he'll ease up on the fills. :)

Best of luck!!

My doctor requires a food journal with 3 days prior to my appointment documented before a fill. It must include calories and Protein. We review that along with my excercise log.

JeepGal, Congrats on being so close to goal! Way to go!

I agree maybe 155 is all your band will take you. WOW I wished I could be complaining about only being 155 LOL!!! Good luck with losing the rest.

SuzanneG,

Whatever! You're 14 lbs from my DREAM goal. I've just listed my first goal. That'll put me at 185, but I'm still freaking excited!! I'm gonna buy myself some new diamond earrings when I reach it!! Whaaaahooo!!

Fantastic job on your weight loss!! I'm a little jealous I'll be honest with ya. :)

GO LAPBANDERZ!! We are gonna be skinny! *woot woot* :)

Crazycatlady,

I understand you have no restriction and I'm sorry for that, but you have to see where your doctor is coming from. I mean read HALF of the "problem losing" posts and it's all because they are lazy and eating a bunch of slider foods that are HORRIBLE to eat.

I can eat a Subway 6" turkey with no problem at all & even though I eat only 1/2 of the 6" at a time the issue is I am able if I wanted to eat it all. At least I couldn't do that b/4 my unfill w/o major pb's.

All I really wanted to acheive by posting this was to see if anyone had a suggestion as to what I should say to him so that he would agree to give me the fill sooner than the usual 3 wk waiting period between. I need to have at least some restriction. Thanks to all anyway...

Thanks JeepGal. I'm really struggling right now. It's very frustrating to get so close to goal and then hit a wall. I'm too tight right now, going to get a slight until tomorrow and hoping that will help.

You've done amazing and should be very proud of yourself. You've proven you are willing to do what it takes, I know you'll make it to your ultimate goal!

All I really wanted to acheive by posting this was to see if anyone had a suggestion as to what I should say to him so that he would agree to give me the fill sooner than the usual 3 wk waiting period between. I need to have at least some restriction. Thanks to all anyway...

ccl - we talked about the unfill; that put you in a huge disadvantage in having the band work and was unnecessary. tell that to your DR. let him know you went backwards in this process - and you need him to help move you forward.

withholding fills for any reason is sabotage in my mind - i joked when i was going every 3-4wks for a fill that i paid for a 10cc band and if i need 10ccs' FILL ME UP...:thumbs_up: again, joked - but was serious as well.

suzanneg - i know what your saying. it takes an awful lot of discipline for me to stay under 130 & a lot of time in the gym. i'm up/down 4lbs all the time it seems; tad annoying - but i'll take it.