Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi!

I went to an informative meeting last night at a Boston hospital and heard more about banding and bypass.

I was shocked, however, to hear that the stay at that particular hospital for Banding was "same day".

Are there any on the forum who went home the same day?

I really would prefer to stay and be watched at least overnight with my high blood pressure. So tomorrow I am going to another facility to see what their policies are.

Also, (as I briefly mentioned in another thread) the one last night required a 10% pre-op weight loss before they will even touch you. If I could lose 10% of my weight with all the programs I have tried, I wouldn't even be considering Banding. Is that a requirement for ALL facilities?

After hearing about GB and LB, the LP surgery is definitely the one I am going to pursue.

singingintherain

My doctor does not require you stay overnight but it does depend on the time of day that you have it. My surgery will be at 12:00 and after the upper GI I should be home around 6pm.

If I could lose 10% I probably would not be doing this either. But I always gain it back.

If is a good idea to visit other clinics.

Carolina mom

My surgery was at around 7:00 am on a Monday and I had to spend the night in the hospital. The next morning, I had to drink some really nasty stuff and have an X-Ray before I could come home. It was early, though.

As far as my surgeon goes it was optional to go or stay (as long as there were no issues). I chose to go home. But if you are not self-pay, it also depends on your insurance company. Some policies will approve it as outpatient only, some (like mine) will approve a 23 hour stay some longer...

Again as far as weight loss, my surgeon did not require weight loss before being approved but some surgeons do and also some insurance companies have requirements.

It is very often a day-surgery procedure. When I had my gall bladder removed almost a decade ago, which is a bigger surgery, I went home a few hours later. I was surprised my doc wanted to keep me overnight for this. I really would have been fine going home a few hours later, as long as I had some pain pills. I am sure you can find a doc who keeps patients....if you're self pay costs will be higher. Since I was self-pay I don't know if insurance balks at paying for overnight stay.

Good luck.

Great to hear from you gals this a.m.

You must be SO excited re: your upcoming day..it is getting really close. I envy you carolina mom. Someday it'll be my turn.

BandedCG...I admire your steady weight loss. Your BmI is really coming down. You were kept overnight and I really think I would prefer staying overnight even though there aren't any major incisions. I went wild the other night watching the LB procedure on you tube and it left me feeling so 'invaded'..looking inside there at the tubed going in, under and around..smokin' away! LOL I felt like I needed a week's stay never mind overnight!

Hmmm..I find it amazing that you gals wanted to go home. the same day. I guess the possibility of pain is the main issue, really. And as long as you have that and some anti nausea meds things should be fine. But I really wonder about the blood pressure issue after anesthesia, though.

I can't get over the BMI's of you gals.

I am not young...I am 59, 5'5" with a BMI of 39. The weight gave the lovely present of high Bl Pressure, High Chol, and mild Sl Apnea developing.... I envy you gals and look forward to getting Banded ...SOON! I wish all these info meetings were this week so I could make a choice and run to my Pr Care for a referral tomorrow. But, I have 2 more to go and will be able to go after next Tues.

singingintherain

(the 'freezing' rain today here in Massachsetts)

They will definitely make sure that you are stable before they would release you. It took around four hours in recovery for me due to nausea but they eventually found a cocktail of meds that got me feeling good. The pain wasn't that bad. It was a little difficult to get dressed but pain wasn't a huge factor. They gave me a script for liquid vicodin so I was able to manage the pain just fine on my own. It is probably a personal decision, personally I am more comfortable in my own home.

Good luck with all your meetings!

I went home the same day. I was wheeled into surgery at 12:30, and left the hospital at 7:00. It was a 90 minute trip to get home, and I dozed for most of it, only waking up a few times. I got in bed and slept off and on once home (my husband came in to kiss me at midnight--my surgery was on New Year's Eve!). The first 24 hours for me were the easiest; once the anesthesia wore completely off, then I felt everything! But the meds help a lot.

? not sure what program you looked into but I havent heard of that in Boston. did they refer to it as 'day surgery' maybe? At the Brigham and Faulkner it requires and overnight stay, it may be only considered 23hrs.

If i were you I would ask the program directly for the program you are looking into

Good to hear from you, tiny!

After the Holidays I went to info seminars at 3 facilities here in Boston. One in particular was very poorly attended(the first one I went to and, I might add, the one which gave me a first impression of this whole process...not a good one at all).

I then went to 2 others and after doing a lot of searchng for mor info on each facility and their programs..which are different as to requirements, follow up, support, when compared with that first one....I came to the strong conclusion that the Brig was for me. I have since made an appt with Dr Robinson and plan on attending the support groups before my consult in about 3 weeks.

I trust what I heard and saw at the Brig moreso than at the other facilities....especially the first one I attended. But...that is just my opinion as there were Banded gals there who swore by that center.

I hope to meet you at an upcoming meeting, tiny!

I was self-pay, and a night in the hospital would have cost me about an extra $5,000, so needless to say, I kept my $5,000 and went home the same day. Had I had any complications, I would have had to have stayed. It seemed that all the patients with insurance stayed the night.

For me, going home was absolutely the best decision, regardless the money saved. I'm a very compliant patient, so I drank my fluids, wore my stockings, walked as directed, used my incentive spirometer religiously, etc.

In one of my pre-band meetings, a nurse said that recovering at home is the best, due to one being able to rest more comfortably, and because of the potential infections one can get in a hospital setting. This is barring any complications.

Jack...you are a strong individual, for sure! I have hypertension and really feel I need to be monitored a bit longer than a few hours because of that condition.

I am not a strong person. Big, but not strong!

kiz..I really like your tag about determination to start!

I like that. And I like you steady weight loss. It is at a good pace..one which I would want.

As for 5,000.00/I think if I were paying out of pocket, I couldn't afford that bill either. Fortunately I have a good insurance plan. Now the wrinkles and extra skin I will be left with to fix after Banding....that is another story

Thanks for your comment about my quote, singingintherain.

You're lucky you have insurance that will cover the surgery. However, I'm very happy with my band, so I'll have to say it was money well spent.

Good luck on finding just the right doctor.