Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am exactly 4 weeks post op and for the last 3 days have been constipated:eek: Late last night I got up, put on clothes, and went and got me a laxative. I have read that alot of people use benefiber, so I got some but unsure if I need to take it everyday or just when I feel like I can't go by myself. Can someone help me out with a litle more info. I will start soft foods tomorrow, so I will be getting some veggies and fruit in my system, so it may get better. I hope so! Any info will be appreciated. Thanks:smile2:

It seems that there are different approaches to this problem. I was told to take Fiber but all it did was give me severe gas.

Eating prunes helps (or dried apricots if you can tolerate them).

You can try non-stimulant laxitives but I found most of those to be too severe.

I have been using Miralax lately and so far it is my favorite choice. I put in in a cup of tea and use it once a day-three days on then three days off and that seems to work just right for me.

I had problems from before surgery. I take a stool softener twice a day. The pharmacy told me it was okay to take up to twice. When even that isn't enough, I add a senna based laxative, which works gently. Senokot is the best known brand name, but many stores sell generics for less. I will take that at bedtime for a day or two and continue the softeners. That will usually straighten me out.

I put Benefiber in at least two of my waters a day and also take one stool softener a day. I have found that when I am diligent with the Benefiber, I actually get results. I was also told eating cooked carrots helps.

For a while I was using milk of magnesea. I was addicted to it. Dont know how I was but I was, it was like I was using it every other day, then I got sick from it. My intestines, started to burn. So, I actually am now eating Activia from dannon, I know its a yougart, something that wont fill me up but it has the ingredients, that help me go when and its not harmful to my body. I havent gained weight from it. So that helps. Find something natural, that you can mix with Water, benefiber is good source. But, for me its the yougart.

I have this problem too quite often. Like the other poster, I use Miralax for a few days on/off. I've just bought some benefiber though to add to my waters. Maybe that will be enough that I dont' have to use the Miralax anymore hopefully. I eat a lot of veggies too, so was completely suprised by the Constipation. But it seems to be a common complaint of bandsters. Good luck!

Yoplait makes a lowfat fiber yogurt that's pretty good. It's also under 10 grams of sugar per container. The key lime pie is my favorite flavor. Yum.

Well over a year out and I use Miralax a few days on and a few off. It is a lifesaver. My doc said laxatives like the ones with senna promote dependency and highly advises against them. Once I had a few days with the Miralax, my body regulated...

Oh I know how you feel!! They said this would happen and I did not believe them until......well you know. I tried a product called "Smooth Move" yes "Smooth Move". It is a tea you can get at most GNC stores. It is great! One cup before bedtime and rewards the next morning. Very gentle!