Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why WLS? Your personal top 10 list

So I'm on the pre-op and its day 17 of 35. It is getting easier, but it is still tough. Sometimes I think about some of the reasons why I am doing this, and it helps me to stay commited.

Here is my Top 10 list for wanting WLS:

1 Job requires travel and flying is horrible if you are heavy.

2 Hard to walk long distances

3 Low Engery

4 I want to live to see my baby get old

5 Love life is non existant.

6 People are jerks if you are heavy.

7 Passed up for a better job in favor of a skinny person with less skills.

8 Ever try to mow the yard with a fat suite on?

9 Gotta order 2 of the big size thing to feel full.

10 Never to have to look at a folding chair again and wonder, is this gonna be ok?

What are your reasons for wanting WLS?

(If I can't have the Whopper.. I need to at least remind myself of why I don't want it anymore.)

Edited by mlafentres

A standard reason I see a lot in WLS magazine articles: "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels."

For me, my main motivation was to address my health issues. As my surgeon said I had metabolic syndrome, all but diabetes. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, reflux, knee arthritis. My followup bloodwork (on all my meds--2 for BP, 2 for cholesterol, pain med for knees, reflux med, and CPAP machine for sleep apnea) was awesome! Total Cholesterol 142(normal 100-199), Triglycerides 53(used to always be around 300, even on meds-normal 0-149)LDL 66(bad cholesterol, normal 0-99),and HDL 65 (good cholesterol-higher the better-normal range 40-59). The only thing out of whack were my liver enzymes which can be elevated due to cholesterol meds, and they were still elevated, so my doctor stopped both cholesterol meds, one BP med, the reflux med, and gave me Rx for the one BP med (which we are now trying me off of to see if I can stop that too) and the pain med for my knees. I got them both at Walmart for 90 days, $10 each. I hardly even need the pain med because I made a serious comittment to exercise (mostly just walking) and have lost around 100 pounds. My knees feel pretty good, so I rarely need the pain med. I fluctuate within a 5 pound range, but basically I am near or at goal on a given day, which is 150.

Romance is still non-existant, but I will be 64 in February, though I am not ruling out turning into one hot senior citizen. I only half joke about saving for plastic surgery, at least a Tummy Tuck. If I hit the lottery I will have a total body lift, boob enhancement with my own tissue, and a facelift. Not an ounce of elasticity in my excess 64 year old skin, but heck, I am not complaining. You can hide a lot under clothing. I am in a size 12 (down from Womens 22) and in small to medium pants and medium tops from 2X. I am broke from buying new clothes, but it is a good excuse for being broke. A tip on clothing: As your size changes, check out the local thrift stores. Clothing is extremely cheap, and with some careful seaching you can find some nice, gently used stuff. I went to my local one and found a pair of jeans and an acrylic sweater. The sweater even had the extra button in a little plastic bag still tacked inside. May have never been worn. The jeans looked like they saw minimal if any use by the previous owner. They were selling for $6.98 each, but the store was having a 50% off sale on selected items and they were both selected items, so I paid $3.49 each for the. The jeans are Ann Taylor Loft in a kind of red heather color. I love them. Have them on right now in fact. Hate to think what they were retail. I could never bring myself to buy designer jeans. Even LL Bean's $29.95 jeans were a stretch. But I have an LL Bean credit card and you earn $10 coupons toward future purchases. One time I had 3 coupons and I order a pair of jeans and all I had to pay was the tax. Got them for $1.75. They have free shipping if you have their card, too. I also buy a lot from Blair catalogs, as their prices are pretty reasonable. I also trade clothes at work with a few coworkers. Anything to save a little money.

You can add looking better in your clothes to that list too.

Edited by PATCHELTON

This one is simple for me. I only have one big reason and that is to avoid all the health problems that have plagued my mom her whole entire life related to obesity. I just seem to be following in her path. We have the same build and I'm developing the same health issues in the same order as she did. The only thing down the road for me if I don't take the weight off is diabetes, pain, and lots and lots of meds. As she did, I have also tried all the diets. I have given it my all as I have seen her give it her all as well. I've always felt so terrible about her health and where she has ended up w/her weight issues even though she has tried so hard to take it off her ENTIRE LIFE! Well, just over one year ago she had lapband surgery and in just over a year has taken 95 pounds off. It gives me great hope to see her turn it around finally. It makes me feel like my fate is not sealed. What she did in her 60s, I can do when I'm 40. Awesome!

BTW, through her experience, I know it is not easy and not something you do until its your last resort. I'm just so glad I'm able to do this sooner rather than later. I'm still not through the insurance hurdles, but I know I will find a way to get this sooner rather than later. :laugh:

1. Knee pain
  2. Ankle pain
  3. Back pain
  4. Uncomfortable to travel
  5. I want to live a long life
  6. I want to swim and sit in a hot tub
  7. Engage with society (I have been a hermit)
  8. Energy
  9. Going on park rides (Disney Land here I come)
  10. Clothes shopping and wondering what size today

Thank you for your posts. I forgot some of these things you mentioned. Yesterday was pretty tough. All I could think is I wanted something with a little flavor in it. Reading through this helps me cement in my mind all the reasons I have to not cheat, especially when my scale says I'm not going anywhere fast.

1. Escape the overwhelming fatigue and gain some energy back

2. Be able to walk, exercise, and do house and yard work without getting winded so quickly

4. Reduce pain and pressure on my feet, ankles, and knees

5. Reduce my HBP

6. Look better, fit into nice clothes and wear them well

7. Revive my sex life

8. Fit into my wedding and engagement rings again.

9. Gain confidence for my job search after I graduate

10. Be treated with respect, like how I was when I weighed half of this weight.

Top 10:

1: getting back some sort of sex life.

2: shopping with my sister and mom, in the same store.

3: start a family

4: live a long and healthy life

5: going on a roller coaster

6: having more energy

7: not being exhausted after work

8: not getting stared at when out in public

9: doing yard work without taking many breaks

10: look good in a bathing suit

My Top 10 Reasons:

1. Tired of people judging me and looking down on me!

2. Prevent diseases and/or health complications.

3. More energy.

4. Stop buying larger size clothing.

5. Want to get married and have children w/o being fat.

6. Stop my knee pain.

7. sleep better.

8. Help motivate my mom--who is very overweight.

9. Help me feel good about myself and be confident.

10. Be able to take a plane ride w/o having to buy 2 seats.

:Yawn:

My Top 10 Reasons

1.Health reasons - PCOS, Hormone imbalaces and insulin resistance

2.Play with my baby when she gets bigger

3.Go swimming with my baby without wanting to die of embarrassment

4. Get recognition for my skills instead of judgment on my size - everyone thinks fat people are lazy at work

5. have a proper wedding - my husband is too embarrassed to take me back to his village on tiny people - they've never sen anything like me before - I wont even fit into the traditional dress:(

6. Get back into running

7. stop putting myself down for being big

8. wear clothes that I like - not just fit

9. hopefully have more energy

10. get back into bellydance

I know some are repeats - it is a sad fact that fat people are so discriminated against at work - poo poo

I think everyones reasons depends on what their interests and lifestyles were before their weight got out of control. For me and in no special order

1. be more active with my family

2. become MORE active myself

3. enjoy golf again

4. travel and hunt

5. get back into sports

6. and I think the most important thing is simply to become happy again and simply feel GREAT

I was a member of the 1980 Olympic Judo Team and competed at a solid 270 lbs. In 1983 I blew out my knee and retired. I lost a little muscle and got down to a great 240. Over the next 15 years I got as high as 399.6 (at Weight Watchers). If I would have had a cup of coffee that morning I would have made 400 :confused: I just got tired of being tired and opted for the Lap Band. Since 10-10-08 I am down 60 lbs. and still have had no fills yet. Everyone gets motivated for different reasons. These are mine. BEST of luck to all.

Edited by JesseH

I guess there are any number of reasons I'm having WLS.

1. I have Cerebral Palsy already, so the extra weight makes it that much more difficult to get around.

2. To fit in clothes I like rather then HAVE to wear.

3. To help reverse my high blood pressure, borderline diabetes, etc

4. To have people look at ME and not my weight.

5. Meet someone, maybe get married.

6. Keep my friends and family from worrying about me.

7. Be able to enjoy myself when I go out in public.

Yes, there's only 7, but the main reason I'm having this done is so so i can LIVE!!!

1. Wear pretty underwear again.

2. Do cartwheels with my daughter.

3. Ride ALL the coasters at the amusement parks.

4. Not to have to dress like an old lady for work.

5. Comfortably wear high heels again.

6. Enjoy putting on make-up again.

7. Avoid any weight related health issues, I've been very lucky up until this point but do have family history.

8. Exercise without feeling like everybody is staring at me.

9. Be energized and not be so damn tired all the time!

10. BE A M.I.L.F., hehe ;-)

Let's see...

1. My brother died at 43 with heart attack

2. My dad had by pass at 38 and eventually died in a car wreck when his pacemaker/defib went off

3. Grandmother heart attack

4. Uncle H died of a heart attack

5. Uncle A died heart attack

6. Uncle W died of a heart attack at 80 after about 20 surgeries

7. Uncle E died of a heart attack young 50's

(All the above on my dad's side)

8. I have 2 stints, put in when I was 42

9. HBP

10. Tired of furniture creaking when I sit and stand

My personal Top 10:

1. I want to be healthy! (no more Hi BP or Chol., no more borderling diabetes, less PCOS symptoms, better depression)

2. I want a baby and a relationship

3. I want to wear pretty clothes

4. I want to be proud of my body and feel self-confidence

5. I don't want to be known as 'The Fat One' ever again

6. I want to have a more active lifestyle (ride a bike, skiing, swimming, rollerblading) and have the energy/stamina do thing if i want

7. I want stop having to ask myself 'will fit in that seat or around that furniture'

8. I want to live my life instead of hiding from it (ie. dating, wearing a swimsuit, travelling more comfortably, be in pictures etc)

9. I don't want to be pitied, judged, or criticized for what i look like

10. I want to wear pretty clothes and shop shop shop (lol, yes i know i'm repeating myself)

I'm just beginning my venture down this road to my *new life*, but these are the reasons I'm willing to shell out major bucks, blood, sweat & tears for my WLS...

SO...

1. I can have & enjoy sex with my fiance~ again... with lights on!

2. I can wear sexy thongs again

3. I can actually get in/out of my lil Fiat Spider I restored without feeling/looking bad or silly

4. I can just slip on a lil sundress and feel like a million bucks...

5. I can stop hurting from back, knee & ankle pain & being winded all the time

6. I can ride the beautiful horses I breed and raise, not just talk about it

7. I can do more recreation activities with my fiance' (IE: learn how to surf, etc)

8. I won't be embarassed or ashamed at get-togethers, reunions, etc

9. I can walk into a store and find pretty clothes that make me feel pretty & feminine again (no more sweats!)

10. I can get healthy and stay that way (no more DIET pills!) to enjoy a full, happy, long life with my fiance' & can get married on a beach in some tropical place just wearing a light sundress!

Take care all!